Giant Bomb Persona 4 Arena Tournament (PS3)

#51 Edited by Xymox (2364 posts) -

Wait, does region lock mean you can't play online between regions? Or just the regular stuff that JP/EU version won't work on US consoles, etc? Because it's the former, good luck. I doubt anyone in scandinavia will be playing this so that would mean no purchase. If it's only about the release not being playable in other regions, it's not so bad, atlust is usually pretty fast between releases? Isn't there only like 3 days from JP to US release...?

#52 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Xymox said:

Wait, does region lock mean you can't play online between regions? Or just the regular stuff that JP/EU version won't work on US consoles, etc? Because it's the former, good luck. I doubt anyone in scandinavia will be playing this so that would mean no purchase. If it's only about the release not being playable in other regions, it's not so bad, atlust is usually pretty fast between releases? Isn't there only like 3 days from JP to US release...?

The region lock is a console based region lock, so NTSC copies won't work on other region PlayStation 3 consoles. They have confirmed that the online aspect of the game will not be region locked, so players from around the world will be able to play against each other (Canada vs. Japan, United States vs. Scandinavia...).

And there are 12 days between the JP to NA release.

#53 Posted by Xymox (2364 posts) -

Ok, phew. Hopefully the latencies won't be un*bear*able. Sorry, I'll go sit in the corner.

#54 Posted by Vade (399 posts) -

@Xymox said:

I doubt anyone in scandinavia will be playing this

O ye, of little faith.

#55 Posted by Xymox (2364 posts) -

@Vade said:

@Xymox said:

I doubt anyone in scandinavia will be playing this

O ye, of little faith.

:( yes. You raise my faith a bit though. But nah, but I'm sure there will be some people who are excited to get it...

Would just be nice to actually have a local scene you know? For instance, most of the stuff where I live is Smash bros and smash melee. ... If the persona 4 release is any indicator of potential sales, where the only copy the store closest to me purchased, was one for himself.... I'm not sure how well it will be received. I'll remain hopeful though, but not too hopeful since I still need a hands on with the game. That said, P4 probably did a whole lot better in online shops.

Maybe the best way is to just start up some tournaments and see what happens.

#56 Posted by dogman795 (123 posts) -

I was terrible at Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, but hopefully 3 days of practice will be enough to get me half way decent at this game.

PSN ID: dogman710

Region: Mission Viejo, California

#57 Edited by thatpinguino (2652 posts) -

Please let Japanese arcade experience be worth a damn.

PSN ID: Thatpinguino

Region: New York

#58 Edited by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

Oh wow the P4 ER on Bluray!? Shit got real!

#59 Posted by MikeHawk (429 posts) -

I'm not very into the whole competitive fighting game scene, but hopefully this can be the game that gets me into it.

PSN ID: Phazon72

Region: Ohio

#60 Posted by Superkenon (1658 posts) -

Hard to know if I'll be free come August 10th, but I guess that's what the OFFICIAL sign-ups are for, eh? I'd like to play with some duders if I can (despite the obvious outcome of UTTER DEFEAT), so here goes:

PSN ID: Superkenon

Region: Norman, Oklahoma

#61 Posted by FeelTheWind (4 posts) -

PSN ID: Feelin'TheWind

Region: Manitoba, Canada

#62 Posted by MyNameIsJoe (187 posts) -

Dang I'm getting it for 360, awesome idea though.

Avatar image for theotherbelmont
#63 Posted by TheOtherBelmont (45 posts) -

I am totally down for this but with one request if at all possible. My matches would have to be on Saturday the 11th and/or Sunday the 12th if at all possible. I work 3PM-midnight Central US Time on Friday the 10th, so unless someone wants to play late night after I get off work that night then Friday is a no go for me.

PSN ID: TheOtherBelmont

Region: San Marcos, Texas

#64 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@FeelTheWind said:

PSN ID: Feelin'TheWind

Region: Manitoba, Canada

Can you actually have an apostrophe in your PSN ID?

@TheOtherBelmont said:

I am totally down for this but with one request if at all possible. My matches would have to be on Saturday the 11th and/or Sunday the 12th if at all possible. I work 3PM-midnight Central US Time on Friday the 10th, so unless someone wants to play late night after I get off work that night then Friday is a no go for me.

That might be problematic. Depending on how I organize the delay between rounds, you might have a chance to do your Friday required matches early on the 11th before I require people do their day 2 matches.

Remember that official Challonge sign-ups are on the 10th and once we know the bracket, make sure to contact your opponent to know when he'd be available.

#65 Posted by ChrisTaran (2038 posts) -

Count me in!

PSN: ChrisTARAN

Region: Scranton, Pennsylvania

#66 Posted by thegoldencat7 (1504 posts) -

Ah. Guess it'll be a while till Europe gets it. If the interest keeps up I would definitely compete in future tournaments though.

#67 Posted by BigChief (513 posts) -

I just grabbed the Newegg preorder deal, and it looks like they'll ship it in sooner than Amazon. So I think I'll be able to take part in this after all.

PSN: Big--Chief

Region: Michigan

#68 Edited by prikk (19 posts) -

Damn I would love to join but region lock. :T

#69 Posted by Joker369 (971 posts) -

Darn, wish I could play but I'm getting it for 360 as that is the only system I have a fightstick for. I would get destroyed without one. Good luck to all the players though.

#70 Posted by AxleBro (810 posts) -

ill play as naoto. hopefully i can learn this game beforehand

psn: AxleFGK

Region: new york (east coast US)

#71 Posted by smitty86 (708 posts) -

I finally caved and bought it. And I plan to be one of the many in the Chie army.

psn: smitty86

Region: Chicago, IL

#72 Posted by YMWhiteKnight (6 posts) -

Count me in!

Username: YMWhiteKnight

PSN ID: YMWhiteKnight

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): North America (Massachusetts, U.S.A.)

#73 Posted by gravitypenguin (89 posts) -

Sounds fun!

Username: gravitypenguin

PSN ID:gravitypenguin

Region: Northern California

#74 Posted by aznjon12 (201 posts) -

I think I'll probably get the game by then.

Username: aznjon12

PSN: aznjon09

Region:Virginia

#75 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

Three users who signed up in July with green colored names and one post each in a row. Hm.

Well, the official sign-ups are done by the users themselves when the time will come, so I guess I shouldn't care much if something dubious is afoot.

#76 Posted by Grim_2_ (51 posts) -

I'll join in also that blue-ray is too good to pass up

Username:Grim_2_

PSN ID: Grim-2-

Region: California

#77 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

I'm noticing a pattern here….

@Grim_2_ said:

I'll join in also that blue-ray is too good to pass up

Username:Grim_2_

PSN ID: Grim-2-

Region: California

@aznjon12 said:

I think I'll probably get the game by then.

Username: aznjon12

PSN: aznjon09

Region:Virginia

@YMWhiteKnight said:

Count me in!

Username: YMWhiteKnight

PSN ID: YMWhiteKnight

Region (matchmaking purposes in case of lag or whatever): North America (Massachusetts, U.S.A.)

@gravitypenguinsaid:

Sounds fun!

Username: gravitypenguin

PSN ID:gravitypenguin

Region: Northern California

#78 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Phatmac: You're missing the one at the very top, as well. Eh, I think it's fine; maybe people from some other community website who got word of this tournament and wanted in for one reason or another (probably prizes). Or maybe it's something more suspect. Either way, it does make me consider some things...

#79 Posted by gravitypenguin (89 posts) -

Well I can't speak for the others, but I've been a member for over a year I just don't post on the forums. I noticed this because it was on the front page earlier today.

#80 Posted by MikeFightNight (1191 posts) -

@Phatmac: On a side note that has nothing to do with the tourney at all.. loving your new user icon!

#81 Posted by InfiniteGeass (2150 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I think the most dubious part is that they only have one post and seemed to only joined for this.

#82 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@gravitypenguin: Yeah, I noticed how you were the only one to have a GB membership but failed to notice that you joined the site in July of 2011, not 2012. That's cool.

#83 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

@MikeFightNight: Thank you sir!

#84 Posted by gravitypenguin (89 posts) -

Also in the interest of full disclosure I'm psn buddies with aznjon, grim too if it's who I think it is. So that'd be the story there.

I don't think there's sinister intent on any of our parts in entering beyond that I don't think anyone in their right mind wouldn't mind a copy of the endurance run blu ray were they lucky enough to get a copy.

#85 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

@gravitypenguin said:

Also in the interest of full disclosure I'm psn buddies with aznjon, grim too if it's who I think it is. So that'd be the story there.

I don't think there's sinister intent on any of our parts in entering beyond that I don't think anyone in their right mind wouldn't mind a copy of the endurance run blu ray were they lucky enough to get a copy.

OR MAYBE YOU'RE ALL THE SAME PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!/

#86 Posted by gravitypenguin (89 posts) -

@Phatmac said:

@gravitypenguin said:

OR MAYBE YOU'RE ALL THE SAME PEOPLE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!/

So that's where those voices in my head are coming from!

#87 Posted by Servantey (32 posts) -

I would enjoy to join this tourney :o

PSN: JGALM14

Region: Raleigh, North Carolina

#88 Posted by FeelTheWind (4 posts) -

Just came back to say that I signed up to GB to enter this tournament on a whim. Is that really dubious?

#89 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@FeelTheWind said:

Just came back to say that I signed up to GB to enter this tournament on a whim. Is that really dubious?

It isn't, but that's also the problem. This is a community tournament for people who are interested in Giant Bomb and for those who support the website. New users who sign up just to participate in this tournament isn't a good thing.

#90 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Yeah, you may want to make a rule or something about keeping to people that have been on the site for a while and not open it up to people who just signed up for this.

#91 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Phatmac: I did... it's on the first page.

#92 Posted by Phatmac (5930 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Oh it's on the How to Sign up tab not the rules one.

#93 Posted by FeelTheWind (4 posts) -

Awww, oh well. Hope you guys have fun~

#94 Posted by OKane3 (20 posts) -

PSN: jcoyne3

Region: New Jersey, EST

get all the hype

#95 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -

Im in

PSN ID halflife10

Region Toronto, Ontario

#96 Posted by Petiew (1422 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@Phatmac: You're missing the one at the very top, as well. Eh, I think it's fine; maybe people from some other community website who got word of this tournament and wanted in for one reason or another (probably prizes). Or maybe it's something more suspect. Either way, it does make me consider some things...

I seriously doubt anyone from other sites care about this. It's most likely people who browsed Giant Bomb but never bothered to make an account, now they have an incentive to.
#97 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19836 posts) -

@Petiew said:

I seriously doubt anyone from other sites care about this. It's most likely people who browsed Giant Bomb but never bothered to make an account, now they have an incentive to.

Yeah, going from what the new users have said, that's pretty much what seems to be the case.

#98 Posted by PixelPrinny (1076 posts) -

Sure, I'll give it a go if my copy arrives on time.

PSN ID: PixelPrinny

Region: BC, Canada

#99 Posted by YMWhiteKnight (6 posts) -

So...I've been browsing GiantBomb for about a year now. Just because I wasn't signed up until now doesn't mean I don't support what they do. I even went to their panel at PAX East a few months back. I just never really had a reason to make an account until now I guess. This topic showed up on the front page, and I'm a huge fan of the entire Persona series, so I figured why not? So yeah, I signed up purely to put my name down for this tournament. And now, my name has been removed. That honestly strikes me as completely unfair, but that aside, does that mean I can't participate at all? What's preventing me from signing up via Challonge on the actual date as per the original instructions?

#100 Posted by dogman795 (123 posts) -

@YMWhiteKnight: That does seem a little unfair, but it's his tournament, his rules. And I think he's doing that purely as a precautionary measure. As far as Challonge goes, I'd assume he's able to remove people from that list so that the two lists match up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.