Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Is it necessary that I play Persona 3 before Persona 4 Arena?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I recently played through Persona 4 and loved the game and it's characters so much. I bought it this last holiday alongside Persona 4 Arena. I was about to start playing Persona 4 Arena, but wants to know, since there are a few characters from Persona 3, do I need to play it to enjoy Persona 4 Arena, or is my 64 hours with Persona 4 enough to get most of the enjoyment from Persona 4 Arena?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Oscar__Explosion

You could get away with reading a wiki if you like, but it's not super necessary to have played P3.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Since most of the cast is from P4, I'd say you are good because you played P4 already. There will be some things you might not fully understand from the P3 character's side but they don't get too deep into the P3 stuff, so you can still enjoy P4A. Have fun!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

I would say that it's really not necessary. There's only a few characters from Persona 4, and while it does provide updates on what happened to them since Persona 3, the bulk of their story addresses what's going on during the events of the game. The only one you'd really be missing out on without Persona 3 is Elizabeth.

So no, but play Persona 3 anyways.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By TheMasterDS

I just bought Persona 4 Arena after spending a week or so watching a Let's Play of Persona 3. I had tried to play it last Summer but I got to a point where I was stuck in the dungeon and said "actually I don't want to spend a few hours grinding, all I want to do is progress the story." After seeing it to the end (and seeing 100% of it too!) I think Persona 3 is worth seeing on its own terms. Definitely. And don't read a Wiki, go in blind.

Going into Persona 4 Arena I found that seeing P3 first was the right move. As a result I was much more excited to see the Persona 3 characters, find out what they've been up to, and see them meet the P4 crew.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TobbRobb

I think it'll add some love for the P3 characters. But for story, no. There is only really one thing I can think of, but it is a huuuuuge spoiler for 3 and barely even matters in p4a. So It's not really worth looking up.

EDIT: Also to clarify, p4a wont spoil 3 for you unless you really overthink it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TobbRobb said:

I don't think that's true. Elizabeth's story as well as others straight up spoil that the P3MC dies at the end and that his soul was used as a seal.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By FLStyle

@FluxWaveZ said:

@TobbRobb said:

I don't think that's true. Elizabeth's story as well as others straight up spoil that the P3MC dies at the end and that his soul was used as a seal.

Agreed.

@MrPilkington: If you have the time to spare I recommend P3, though it might be beneficial if you have a PSP/Vita to play P3P instead as its gameplay isn't outdated like P3 is. Especially going from P4 to P3.

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it just P3 and P4 that are connected in this universe? I'd play through the older ones if they factor into this somehow too!

Metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I dont believe P2 or P1 factor into P4A

Herk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Herk

@metalisticpain: I actually looked into it some more yesterday and found out that they reference P1 and P2 some in P3 and since that is connected to P4 I guess everything is connected in some way. The Kirijo Group was apparently a part of another group that was featured in story of the first two Persona games and so on

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@metalisticpain said:

I dont believe P2 or P1 factor into P4A

One of the main antagonists in P4A is (probably) closely tied to P1 and P2.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By MEATBALL

I'm going to say I doubt it, but I do think you should play through either P3FES or P3P (I prefer P3P, myself, in spite of what it sacrifices) at some point, just because Persona 3 is a damn fine game.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whether it is required or not you should play it. It is a great game.

Spence_5060

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Whether it is required or not you should play it. It is a great game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.