Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

Japanese Box Art Revealed

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Japanese Box Art
    Japanese Box Art

Source

I think it definitely looks cool, but I'm not completely satisfied with it either. For one, obviously Yu Narukami would be a main focal point of the box art, but why Labrys? The story revolves around her, yes, but wouldn't it be best to rep Persona 3 (I don't care that Labrys was a P3 drama CD character; that's insignificant) in some way? Why not the other, probably more popular, robot lady Aigis facing against Persona 4's protagonist? Better yet, why isn't it something that reps way more characters like this:

No Caption Provided

I think this image alone would have been a better box art. It shows all of the characters (which is maybe something they wanted to avoid for some reason?), represents both Persona 4 and Persona 3, actually shows a Persona (which is kinda important) and just looks cooler.

Also, the background in the official box art looks a bit odd. The echoing of the foreground into the yellow looks weird; if they wanted to create some kind of "echoing" effect (or whatever the proper term is), why didn't they go for Yu vs. Labrys in the foreground with Izanagi vs. Ariadne in the background? That'd be a much better concept, in my opinion. Also that "MayonakaTV" looks out of place.

In the end, this is just a box art and I'm not seriously frustrated about it, but I just thought I'd express my thoughts on it. It will change for the North American version, even if the modification is just the "MayonakaTV" into "Midnight Channel".

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zero_

Who the hell's that chick? That's not Chie!

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Voxus

Aigis or bust, motherfucker.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By AngelN7

What's up with Teddie's eye? is he a shadow or is he just tripping balls?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

I'm kind of underwhelmed as well in a weird way. Something about it just doesn't look right.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

It's Persona 4 Arena, not Persona 3&4 Arena.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel said:

It's Persona 4 Arena, not Persona 3&4 Arena.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean "hide the Persona 3 characters because they don't belong here". If anything, wouldn't they want to show off Persona 3 characters for marketing reasons?

@AngelN7 said:

What's up with Teddie's eye? is he a shadow or is he just tripping balls?

*Story spoilers*

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ The P3 characters aren't the focus. At least, not the main ones. Labrys is at the core of the story and bears far more importance than anyone on the P3 side of the roster, including Aigis.
    alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By alternate

They sold a ton of Aigis statues and other merchandising crap. Most geeks in to that have already filled up on that. My guess, they positioned this new chick from the start to be a merch machine.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel: But is story really relevant when it comes to box art? All that should matter there is it looking cool and compelling, but I guess with the Teddie, "MayonakaTV' and, well, Labrys elements, the box art is an important demonstration for the story. Though, I still would have preferred something else, mainly art of multiple characters.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Karmosin

Maybe would have hoped for something more stylish that also showed of more of the characters. I wonder how the US-version will look.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hailinel
    @FluxWaveZ

@Hailinel: But is story really relevant when it comes to box art? All that should matter there is it looking cool and compelling, but I guess with the Teddie, "MayonakaTV' and, well, Labrys elements, the box art is an important demonstration for the story. Though, I still would have preferred something else, mainly art of multiple characters.

It emphasizes Persona 4's protagonist and the new character fighting with T. Bearson in the background. As promotional material for a fighting game, it works. No one outside of the target audience that's already well of the roster wouldn't know P3 from P4, anyway.
    jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

I like it. I think box art with too many characters can lose focus and look messy if not done.

Seroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By Seroth

I honestly kinda hate how they shoved a high school robot anime girl into Persona 4 with this game. :( Leave that stuff in Persona 3. >=[

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

Not a fan. Too much of it is Charlie face and it feels cramped, I can't fully se what's going on.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo

NEEDS MORE CHIE

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Juno500

The second picture isn't good at all.

Besides Yu and Izanagi, it just has a bunch of characters in their official poses (as in the same poses they have in the character select screen) on the same picture. I hate pictures that do that, it always feels awkward and lazy and cluttered. But at the same time, it doesn't even have all of the characters on it, Labrys is missing. So the picture is covered with tons of characters, except the one character whom the story is apparently supposed to revolve around?

The picture they went with is less cluttered, that's almost always a plus in my opinion. Only thing I'd change is I'd remove Teddie.

Melanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Melanon

Personally, I like the box art. It's colorful and features Labrys (the only original character in the game).

Would love to have a poster of that 2nd image, though. That's be fucking badass.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By ashogo

It should be this:

Yu vs Aigis
    Yu vs Aigis
    DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#20  Edited By DonutFever

I like both. The background does look weird on the first one, but I think that Protagonist VS. Labrys looks pretty badass. 

Though the website art showing him fighting Aigis is pretty cool too.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Don't feel like making another thread for this but North American box art revealed. Surprise, it's practically the exact same thing: 

No Caption Provided
    Really surprised my prediction that the "MayonakaTV" in the background didn't get removed or changed. I blame laziness. 

Bonus, English pics: 
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.