Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Arena

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 07, 2012

Persona 4 Arena is an Arc System Works-developed fighting game with an Atlus-developed story mode that serves as the official sequel to both Persona 3 and Persona 4.

The true identity of the human (eerie voice) *Spoilers!*

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Eazy94

I think I figured out who the human, referred as an "Eerie voice" in Narukami's story, who is working with the Malevolent entity really is. I think it is Detective Kurosawa.

Here is why I came to this conclusion: If you play Naoto's story, she is given an assignment by a man in the JSDF to spy on the Kirijo Group's "Shadow Operative." After the incident at the airport she is given a contact that is willing to leak information about the group; the man also said that the contact seems to have his own agenda. The contact is revealed to be Detective Kurosawa, the same man who help P3's MC with supply against the shadows when he was just an officer, and takes Naoto to where Mitsuru and the others are located. Kurosawa goes up to them, surprising Aigis since that was not the original rendezvous point and he shouldn't have know where they were. Kurosawa debriefs his findings of the incidents in Inaba that took place the year before. After giving his report to Mitsuru, he decides to return to his post, leaving Naoto behind to tail Mitsuru and the others.

Why do I believe it's Kurosawa? There are 3 things that we know so far about the person behind this "eerie voice:" It knows about personas/personae and shadows, It does NOT have a persona and it's somehow connected to the Kirijo Group; Kurosawa fits that criteria. There is also the fact that Kurosawa happened to find Mitsuru's group on the same place where Labrys was thrown into the TV. How would have he know of that place? How would he have known that Misturu and the others were going to be there, unless he had already planned it out; the criminal always return to the site of the crime. Another fact that stacks against his is that he purposely led Naoto to follow Mitsuru into the TV. Why? Well, if you play the other characters' story, it will be revealed that the Malevolent Entity is trying to gather powerful Personas/Personae to turn them back into shadows. Naoto might have never entered the tournament if it wasn't for Kurosawa.

My accusation is only based on circumstantial evidence. There are others that might fit the bill, such as Ikutsuki as we never really see him die. It could have all been a coincidence, but after my experience with Persona 4, in where the criminal was right in your face and giving the player hints, it is safe to say that I might be close to the truth.

Please feel free to comment and check if I there is any mistakes in my statement, as well as posting your own ideas.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Phatmac

Huh, you may be on to something here.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

If you're going to be all Phoenix Wright up in here, then what's his motive?

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By yoshimitz707

@FluxWaveZ:

He seemed pretty crazy from the bit he talked through Labrys and he's probably being manipulated by the Malevolent Enitity who's probably Nyarlathotep.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

He seemed pretty crazy from the bit he talked through Labrys

I don't recall this...

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By yoshimitz707

@FluxWaveZ said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

He seemed pretty crazy from the bit he talked through Labrys

I don't recall this...

When the Labrys is being controlled the eerie voice coming out of her doesn't seem like a very well adjusted person.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Eazy94

@FluxWaveZ: OBJECTION! Are you accusing me of not knowing his motive?! ... You're right, I don't know. It is all based on the circumstances; it does not give me enough evidence to hypothesize a motive yet. Then again, I might be wrong.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@yoshimitz707 said:

When the Labrys is being controlled the eerie voice coming out of her doesn't seem like a very well adjusted person.

Ah, but that's going by the assumption that the eerie voice is indeed Kurosawa. Him being crazy because he's being controlled could be an unfounded demonstration of a potential motive, however the malevolent entity specifically states that it's collaborating with this person, so I don't think there is any real element of control here. Therefore, the reason Kurosawa would do this is still undetermined.

@Eazy94 said:

@FluxWaveZ: OBJECTION! Are you accusing me of not knowing his motive?! ... You're right, I don't know. It is all based on the circumstances; it does not give me enough evidence to hypothesize a motive yet. Then again, I might be wrong.

Yep and, without that, an accusation would be dismissed and everything you've stated would only be circumstantial evidence, like you stated, without anything linking it all together. I'm curious to discover who it is, but I'm not yet ready to take a stance based on the discussions concerning this topic.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Eazy94

@FluxWaveZ:We could also be just saying BS altogether here, LOL. Although, I cannot deny you have a very important point that can't be dismissed. He may have a sinister past with the Kirijo group that has not yet been revealed, since Kurosawa seemed to have a long relationship with the SEES before the events of P3. Once again, it is only a speculation.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Eazy94: People have guessed that it could be the public safety man who hires Naoto as he has insight into the Kirijo group and is definitely connected with them, he does not have a Persona, he hires Naoto to spy on the group he actually works for and he has knowledge that Naoto has a Persona when even Mitsuru, the top dog herself, had no idea.

It could also be someone totally new as well.

All of these are possible, I suppose, but yeah: it's still speculation and I'm not inclined towards one guess or another.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eazy94

@FluxWaveZ: Wow! That actually makes a lot of sense! However, we cannot ignore the fact that Kurosawa knew where Mitsuru and the others were, unless the guy from the Public Safety and Kurosawa are working together, but that is highly unlikely. Well, Atlus sure knows how to come up with such deep plot.

Juno500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By Juno500

@Eazy94 said:

I think I figured out who the human, referred as an "Eerie voice" in Narukami's story, who is working with the Malevolent entity really is. I think it is Detective Kurosawa.

Here is why I came to this conclusion: If you play Naoto's story, she is given an assignment by a man in the JSDF to spy on the Kirijo Group's "Shadow Operative." After the incident at the airport she is given a contact that is willing to leak information about the group; the man also said that the contact seems to have his own agenda. The contact is revealed to be Detective Kurosawa, the same man who help P3's MC with supply against the shadows when he was just an officer, and takes Naoto to where Mitsuru and the others are located. Kurosawa goes up to them, surprising Aigis since that was not the original rendezvous point and he shouldn't have know where they were. Kurosawa debriefs his findings of the incidents in Inaba that took place the year before. After giving his report to Mitsuru, he decides to return to his post, leaving Naoto behind to tail Mitsuru and the others.

He knew where they were because they were driving a ridiculously long limo that stood out like a sore thumb in a small town like Inaba.

@Eazy94 said:

Why do I believe it's Kurosawa? There are 3 things that we know so far about the person behind this "eerie voice:" It knows about personas/personae and shadows, It does NOT have a persona and it's somehow connected to the Kirijo Group; Kurosawa fits that criteria. There is also the fact that Kurosawa happened to find Mitsuru's group on the same place where Labrys was thrown into the TV. How would have he know of that place? How would he have known that Misturu and the others were going to be there, unless he had already planned it out; the criminal always return to the site of the crime. Another fact that stacks against his is that he purposely led Naoto to follow Mitsuru into the TV. Why? Well, if you play the other characters' story, it will be revealed that the Malevolent Entity is trying to gather powerful Personas/Personae to turn them back into shadows. Naoto might have never entered the tournament if it wasn't for Kurosawa.

He knew that Mitsuru and the others would be there because Mitsuru asked him to come.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By wchigo

Wow, this is all quite interesting.

I don't have the game so I don't know any of the story stuff, but I'm a bit concerned about getting it based on what Jeff was saying about the story mode (a TON of text and not even that much voice acting), coupled with the fact that it's a fighting game. I enjoyed SSFIV but I never got deep into Guilty Gear or Blazblue and I KNOW I'll get destroyed if I go online, but there's only so much you can do with a fighting game offline with no other people to play locally and with no stick. Maybe I should just read the wiki or watch a Youtube "Let's Play" for the story stuff or something...

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By aznjon12

No...NO! Not my weapons salesman!!! Who's next Daidara? Shiroku? If you can't trust ex-cops that sold weapons to minors, who can you trust really?

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Eazy94

@Juno500: LOL, you have a good point about the limo, so that could be true, however, Kurosawa might have known where Mitsuru was, but if you recall, Mitsuru moved elsewhere due to the fact that the limo stood out too much. Also, as I mentioned in the original post, Aigis was surprise that Kurosawa found them. Remember, it is only a speculation, a theory based on what I got. Thanks for your comment!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

It's plausible, though I get the feeling that they weren't even sure where they were going to go with this. I'd love to see Persona 5 star the combined cast from Persona 3 & 4, but this is an Arc game, so I know in a few months they're just going to announce Persona 4 Arena FES: Fusion (or, some other ridiculous sub-title that doesn't really mean anything), which will be the same game with the gameplay tweaked, and more story. Not that there's anything wrong with that... 

Maybe for Persona 5, they should just go nuts and follow Chie and Akihiko through their time in the police academy... that's close enough to high school to make it feel familiar, but different enough to bring something new. Yay! Look at me, talkin' out my ass. There's your male and female protagonist angle right there. Or they could, you know, just do somethin' new. There's a whole thread about speculation out there already, I think.

_Soki_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By _Soki_

I learned that the announcer and the malevolent entity have the same voice actor, so I came to the conclusion that the announcer is behind everything.

Liquidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Liquidus

@_Soki_ said:

I learned that the announcer and the malevolent entity have the same voice actor, so I came to the conclusion that the announcer is behind everything.

Oh shit son.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Eazy94

@_Soki_: LOL, that bastard!

aznjon12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By aznjon12

It's Dojima. He has all the motives. Personas have killed his relationship with his nephew and his ex-partner. Personas put his daughter in danger. Of course he would just want them for himself.

Xomero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xomero

@aznjon12: LOL really jon? Really? Make me some sausages! jfskajfkasjgkjadbj;ljagj;

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#22  Edited By DonutFever

The Ghost of 024.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think it's Edogawa. Who I also think is Untidy Researcher.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Brodehouse: Edogawa might be the untidy researcher, but would you say that after his appearance in Persona 3 and Persona 4 that he could be perceived as a bad guy?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Brodehouse: Edogawa might be the untidy researcher, but would you say that after his appearance in Persona 3 and Persona 4 that he could be perceived as a bad guy?

I don't remember P3 great (and I never got to the point where Ryoji shows up) but wasn't he always a kind of suspicious dude, always giggling to himself and involved in some weird shit? I remember a lot of allusions to weird drugs and nocturnal activities. If he is Untidy Researcher, it means that he's still hanging around Kirijo projects and knows more than he lets on. And if we're under the assumption that Nyarly is kind of orchestrating everything; Erebus and Izanami and Edogawa, his lecture about Izanami strikes more suspiciously than before.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Eazy94

@Brodehouse: You know, that doesn't sound too far-fetche[']d (I choose you!), but I think Edogawa was there mostly for educational purposes, not only for the in-game school and students, but for us to understand where the ideas of the game come from. Though, I believe Kenji once mentioned how weird it was to have a male nurse... that's probably irrelevant.

Hey, maybe i the Untidy Researcher is a relative to Edogawa.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By YI_Orange

@FluxWaveZ: @Brodehouse: @Eazy94: If that dude isn't Edogawa then someone seriously needs to have a talk with everyone involved in letting him get into the game with that appearance.

I don't think it's too out there to believe that Edogawa is somehow involved. My memories of him in P3 are fuzzy at best, but if he was anything like in P4 it kind of makes sense. I always just saw him talking about mythology and such as just an exposition dump, but a lot of the teachers tend to go off on tangents and talk about things relevant to who they are and their interests. Usually these relate to some sort of outstanding character feature, but by those standards Edogawa is fairly normal looking(granted so is that pervy guy in P4), but he also gets a character portrait which instantly makes him slightly more important. Though, if he only had one in P4 it could have just been to make sure you remembered him.

Also. all this talk about Nyarlahothep reminds me that I REALLY need to finish Innocent Sin, but I just maxed everyone's starting persona and fuck card grinding is the worst. Even though I like everything else about that game, I expect I'll end up just wiking important information if it's relevant when P5 rolls around.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By mutha3
    @YI_Orange said:

@FluxWaveZ: @Brodehouse: @Eazy94:

Also. all this talk about Nyarlahothep reminds me that I REALLY need to finish Innocent Sin, but I just maxed everyone's starting persona and fuck card grinding is the worst. Even though I like everything else about that game, I expect I'll end up just wiking important information if it's relevant when P5 rolls around.

There are dialogue options you can make that give you powerful Personae which allow you to skip a lot of that stuff, thankfully.
    Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Eazy94

@YI_Orange said:

I don't think it's too out there to believe that Edogawa is somehow involved. My memories of him in P3 are fuzzy at best, but if he was anything like in P4 it kind of makes sense. I always just saw him talking about mythology and such as just an exposition dump, but a lot of the teachers tend to go off on tangents and talk about things relevant to who they are and their interests. Usually these relate to some sort of outstanding character feature, but by those standards Edogawa is fairly normal looking(granted so is that pervy guy in P4), but he also gets a character portrait which instantly makes him slightly more important. Though, if he only had one in P4 it could have just been to make sure you remembered him.

You know, I did always thought it was weird that he was the only teacher to a portrait; it's true that only relevant characters have a portrait, as well as his cameo in P4 might not be just some fan service (not the pervy kind).

(Catherine game SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED IT YET!!!)

Now that I think about, Edogawa reminds me of the bartender in Catherine. He was just there, hanging out, giving you some "random" info like Edogawa does. However, the bartender ended up playing a big role in the story. It could just be coincidence...

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By YI_Orange

@mutha3: !!! You should totally PM me some more info on that. I'm afraid to look online because people who write guides and such fucking suck at not spoiling things. I'd probably come across something like "Pick this option in the dungeon that comes after the one WHERE MAYA DIES"*(I know she's not gonna die...or at least I hope so. I like Maya).

@Eazy94: Your post reminded me that I had intended to mention the gas station attendant and forgot to. So there's that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By toowalrus

So I finished P3: The Answer today. The only new piece of Persona I have left to play is Elizabeth's Arena story... maybe I won't play it. Like Desmond's Charles Dickens book. The last game I play before my death.... Or, ya know, when P5 details are released. 

Actually, I should go back and play like, Persona 1 & 2.

Eazy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Eazy94

@TooWalrus: It you decision not to play Elizabeth's story, but it would be better to have the widest view possible of the story. Besides, her story is funny, yet serous when it has too and it gives you some details how the whole tournament went into effect.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rxanadu

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

He seemed pretty crazy from the bit he talked through Labrys and he's probably being manipulated by the Malevolent Enitity who's probably Nyarlathotep.

I thought we had established that the events from Persona 2 were fictitious in the P3/P4 canon: when you're playing the online game in P3, the characters were named after Tatsuya and Maya from both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, respectively. There also seems to be no direct references to any other characters from those entries in the Persona series. Unless, the butterfly representing the save point is Philemon (which I doubt, since his butterfly form was golden).

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By YI_Orange

@Rxanadu said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

I thought we had established that the events from Persona 2 were fictitious in the P3/P4 canon: when you're playing the online game in P3, the characters were named after Tatsuya and Maya from both Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment, respectively. There also seems to be no direct references to any other characters from those entries in the Persona series. Unless, the butterfly representing the save point is Philemon (which I doubt, since his butterfly form was golden).

What about reference to the Nanjo Group?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#35  Edited By Hailinel

@Rxanadu said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

The names Tatsuya and Maya were only used in the English localization. In the original Japanese, they're named N-jima and Y-ko, for Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi. Also, @YI_Orange is correct; Persona 3 does make a reference to the Nanjo Group. There is absolutely nothing preventing P3 and P4 from existing in the same universe as P1 and P2.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rxanadu

@Hailinel said:

@Rxanadu said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

The names Tatsuya and Maya were only used in the English localization. In the original Japanese, they're named N-jima and Y-ko, for Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi. Also, @YI_Orange is correct; Persona 3 does make a reference to the Nanjo Group. There is absolutely nothing preventing P3 and P4 from existing in the same universe as P1 and P2.

Well, that information about the Japanese names for the online game's avatars reminds me of the lesson Untidy Teacher gave on the history of Izanagi and Izanami. Maybe it wasn't delegated to P4 only; maybe the two characters from the Megami Tensei novels will indeed have some impact in the story of P5. Also, if they made references to the Nanjo Group, then maybe Lisa did have some connections to the Aiya restaurant. Now that I think of it, I do remember a side comment made by Igor about serving Philemon in P3 when you first met him in the Velvet Room.

Also, with this added information on the exsistance of the Nanjo Group in the P3/P4 universe, there a lot more possibilities on who the Eerie Voice could be. Hell, the Eerie Voice could be a mole for the Nanjo Group working undercover in the Kirijo Group.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@Rxanadu said:

@Hailinel said:

@Rxanadu said:

@yoshimitz707 said:

@FluxWaveZ:

Well, that information about the Japanese names for the online game's avatars reminds me of the lesson Untidy Teacher gave on the history of Izanagi and Izanami. Maybe it wasn't delegated to P4 only; maybe the two characters from the Megami Tensei novels will indeed have some impact in the story of P5. Also, if they made references to the Nanjo Group, then maybe Lisa did have some connections to the Aiya restaurant. Now that I think of it, I do remember a side comment made by Igor about serving Philemon in P3 when you first met him in the Velvet Room.

Also, with this added information on the exsistance of the Nanjo Group in the P3/P4 universe, there a lot more possibilities on who the Eerie Voice could be. Hell, the Eerie Voice could be a mole for the Nanjo Group working undercover in the Kirijo Group.

Uh, no. Akemi and Yumiko won't have any impact on Persona 5. Their names were included as the player avatar names in the online game purely as fan service.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.