Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Chie's new voice

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

It's pretty terrible.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Woah, old thread.

I stand by my statement.

kesith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

I dunno, I mean maybe it's because I started with Persona 4 Golden, but I like the newer Chie voice. The old voice sounded oddly...mature for a high-schooler. The newer one sounds more in line with how I would imagine a kung-fu obsessed teenage girl to sound.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By RonGalaxy

I just started person 4: golden recently after watching a few episodes of the endurance run. I think it's great so far!

Anyway, I think Chie's new V.A. is way better than the old one, mostly because the tone and style fits the character better. She sounds like a whimsical teenage girl who's into kung fu films, while the old one sounded like a very serious women in her mid-late 30's.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some lines were hit or miss but I liked the new chie VA and yeah after putting in like 80 Hours in Persona 4 Golden i went back to persona 4 and yup she sounded like a lady.

But no one can deliver a "Aha is this our chance" better than the old VA.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By toowalrus

Some lines were hit or miss but I liked the new chie VA and yeah after putting in like 80 Hours in Persona 4 Golden i went back to persona 4 and yup she sounded like a lady.

But no one can deliver a "Aha is this our chance" better than the old VA.

You mean worse. The embarrassment from that reading is probably why she retired in the first place. WE DID THIS.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I know that I'm on the right side of history when I say that New Chie is better than old Chie. We are talking cold. hard. facts.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

Yeah it's not that I hate the new voice (she's just fine) but it's that I really liked the unique old voice and watched the whole ER. Teddie just sounds wrong for some reason...is it actually a new voice actor?

I just want to play Persona 4 on the computer with an emulator at this point. It looks good that way, maintains the old charm, and is still lots of fun. Some of the gameplay "fixes" in Golden actually make it less appealing to me, like the skill cards with Marie or the gardening stuff or night shopping stuff at home.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#159  Edited By Niceanims

I can deal with new Chie, but old Chie is better. Well, maybe I haven't had enough exposure yet. Still playing through Arena, and I haven't played golden yet.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@gooiegreen: I'm gonna agree with you, even as someone who played the original version, and thought Chie was the best character back then.

Nothing wrong with Old Chie, but New Chie's voice is a lot more appropriate for the level of energy she should be bringing to the table -- got that kung fu spunk. It was weird at first getting used to while playing Arena, but I think it's for the best.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#161  Edited By Justin258

I've been playing Persona 4 Golden. I liked old Chie better, no question. I hated new Chie at first but she's kind of grown on me. I don't think I'll ever actually like new Chie's voice actress, though, I'll just accept it. She's too whiny and annoying. Same lines, yeah, but old Chie was just a more pleasant person to hear and, by extension, a more fun character to be around.

As for the age thing, old Chie might have sounded like a full grown woman but new Chie sounds like she's twelve and hyped up on caffeine.

EDIT: All right, all right, I'll admit that new Chie's voice actress is probably much better at her job, but... c'mon people. Old Chie is better.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chie Hot-onaka is more like it, OW OOW!

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@superkenon: A lot of dubbed games and shows have such terrible matches for VO; this fact seems inescapable (e.g. Laharl from Disgaea is awful). Age appropriateness bothers me more than anything else in VO and the new Chie sounds like a girl more than a woman. Works so well.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#164  Edited By emfromthesea

but new Chie sounds like she's twelve and hyped up on caffeine.

That's kind of how I envision Chie anyway. Super hyper, and way too enthusiastic about steak.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

That's kind of how I envision Chie anyway. Super hyper, and way too enthusiastic about steak.

Yeah, but... not as annoying. That was kinda the thing about Chie, she was enthusiastic and energetic without sounding annoying.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@sunbrozak said:

@believer258 said:

Yeah, but... not as annoying. That was kinda the thing about Chie, she was enthusiastic and energetic without sounding annoying.

Eh, maybe. Did you pursue a relationship with her? I always went with Naoto (get bent, Kanji) so for that reason Chie's new voice may have not been as important to me.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258 said:

@sunbrozak said:

@believer258 said:

Eh, maybe. Did you pursue a relationship with her? I always went with Naoto (get bent, Kanji) so for that reason Chie's new voice may have not been as important to me.

I've seen the Endurance Run, actually. I haven't finished Persona 4. I played a few hours of it on an emulator and decided that I'd rather play it on a PS2, so I played a few more hours of it there, but school got in the way. Now I've restarted it again on my Vita. And I still think it's a lot of fun.

Chie's new voice actress is fine and I've already accepted it. It's just not quite the same.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By Zeik

Chie's an instance where being closer to the source material is not always better, because I actually kind of hate her original Japanese voice and grew to love her original English voice, despite a few awkward lines. New Chie is closer to the source material, but I don't think that makes it better. It gets the job done, but I definitely prefer the old one.

Teddie's new voice actually bugs me more though, mostly because I think his original voice was legitimately perfect and the new one is just an inferior copy. (My one major localization wish for P4A2 is to get old Teddie back.)

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Being someone who is getting ready to buy a vita mostly for this game I've listened to some clips comparing the actresses and I think the new actress you know... sounds more like a teenager. I think this is less of a case of the new voice actress being worse and a case of most people who have already invested countless hours having to deal with a radical change to the thing they've grown to love. Giving my view as someone who dosn't really have anything invested into the series just yet I think the new voice is actually way better than the original.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought and started playing Golden over the weekend, and new Chie has taken some getting used to. The voice just has a whiny quality that the original actress didn't have. It's still good voice acting, but it's just not the same.

Teddy, on the other-hand, I don't notice the change at all.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P4G is the "new" Chie? I didn't even notice.

I guess I approve of the new Chie then, because it sure didn't bother me at all.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's ridiculous but her new voice makes me not even want to play golden.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I think New Chie is for the better, but I'm with you on Teddie. New Teddie isn't bad per se, but he doesn't bring the same flavor to it as Old Teddie.

He sounds a bit more like an imitation, where I think New Chie was good to just do her own thing.

Shishkabob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's ridiculous but her new voice makes me not even want to play golden.

You're right. It is ridiculous that a better voice for the best character of a game would make you not want to play it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#175  Edited By Hunter5024

If given the choice between an annoying voice that suits the character, and a pleasant voice that doesn't suit her as well, I would take the pleasant voice. The new one sounds kind of whiny.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Zeik

@superkenon said:

@zeik: I think New Chie is for the better, but I'm with you on Teddie. New Teddie isn't bad per se, but he doesn't bring the same flavor to it as Old Teddie.

He sounds a bit more like an imitation, where I think New Chie was good to just do her own thing.

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, inconsistency kind of bugs the shit out of me, so in some ways I kind of want a good sound-alike. On the other hand, if they can't pull off a sound-alike well enough then you just end up sounding like an inferior imitation, which is kind of worse, so in that case you're better off doing it a different way. Erin Fitzgerald probably made the right choice by doing her own thing, because frankly there's probably no way to completely satisfy me in this case. And hey, it's still way better than her shrill Japanese voice.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By automatontribe

@shishkabob: I definitely don't agree that it's better. The new Chie sounds like the generic high pitched anime girl voice I've heard hundreds of times before.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@superkenon said:

I have mixed feelings about that. On the one hand, inconsistency kind of bugs the shit out of me, so in some ways I kind of want a good sound-alike. On the other hand, if they can't pull off a sound-alike well enough then you just end up sounding like an inferior imitation, which is kind of worse, so in that case you're better off doing it a different way. Erin Fitzgerald probably made the right choice by doing her own thing, because frankly there's probably no way to completely satisfy me in this case. And hey, it's still way better than her shrill Japanese voice.

Japanese Chie is best Chie

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Zeik

@bocam: There are certainly worse Japanese voices out there (*cough*Rise*cough*) but I still really don't like Chie's. It's kind of funny, because I think half of the Japanese cast is actually really good, but the other half is pretty much unbearable.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By bigjeffrey
    Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New Chie is better and this is coming from someone who played P4 when it first came out, she sounds more like an energetic teenager who is kind of annoying.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#182  Edited By DeadpanCakes

New Chie is okay. I thought she did a much better job with her lines that involved the mindset of "Woah! We're in a tv! Fighting with demons! Anime stuff!!!" but when it came to the character interactions and more mundane "normal teenage" dialogue, she got rather annoying. And y'know, that's fine, I guess, 'cause that's her archetype. But what I loved about original Chie is that she came off as a normal human being first, before she adhered to that outspoken, kinda annoying anime girl archetype. Yeah, she kinda sounded a bit old, but honestly, I met a bunch of teenagers who sound waayyy older than they should sound.

I guess I like old Chie better because she just delivered her lines without being over the top and loud. Sure, that's her archetype, but the entire idea of the game is subverting those archetypes. I will say, though, that I really enjoyed new Chie's romance path, and that she did a real good job of sounding awkward when it came to relationship stuff.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Y'know, before playing Golden, I honestly thought this thread (and threads like this on other sites) would just be filled with elitism. But while playing Golden and re-watching the endurance run while dungeon crawling, the differences between the voices are night and day to me in some aspects.

I actually like the newer voice, now that she lost her lisp after saving Yukiko.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After listening to the sound clip of old Chie, I have to say, I prefer the newer voice in P4G. She definitely sounds much younger with the newer voice and I think her over the top voice is a little better than the older sounding Chie which doesn't even sound like a teen-age girl in my opinion.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Karmosin

When people say: "She sounds more like a teenager" I get what they're saying but the truth is, I've heard alot of very different female voices while going to highschool and they all sound so very different. Some sound younger and some sound very mature in their voices, in fact I think that most of them had a somewhat more mature voice than not.

I like the new voice and I like the old one, for very different reasons. The old one was kinda hit and miss, but it had a charm to it and when she got it right it was very good. I especially remember liking the way she said the line "Just the same as what you did to us" (may not be exactly correct but something like that.) after the girls got their revenge by signing the guys up for cross-dressing. Yeah, it was kinda akward at times, but mostly I felt it was a good kind of awkward.

But yeah, I've got no gripes with the new one, except that it can feel kinda generic sometimes and it takes until about after Yukikos part to get good.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#186  Edited By Flappy

This is one of those threads that always seems to find its way to the top. I'ma say it one mo' gain:

New Chie > Old Chie

Old Chie never bothered to meet you late at night and talk about various topics. New Chie? She's all about that love and affection (or friendship, if you friendzoned her like I did). That's the power of the Vita new voice at work, mayne!

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Fitzgerald

Just watched a YouTube video of Golden...

New Chie is gratingly bad.... :(

Jeff Gerstmann, you are consistently the most wrong Giantbomber. (But at least you're hilarious)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff Gerstmann, you are consistently the most wrong Giantbomber. (But at least you're hilarious)

???

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#189  Edited By LiquidPrince

I've probably posted in this thread at some point before, but I prefer new Chie much more over old Chie in terms of actual voice acting skill. She's just way better. The only reason I like old Chie is because of fond endurance run memories. New Chie is better though.

Miyuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 14

#190  Edited By Miyuki

I still like old Chie, but new Chie has grown on me!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just started playing P4G an hour or so ago, and man, she sounds so weird. I'll get used to it but it's just weird to hear this voice from her.

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ChrisHarris

The new voice is definitely more appropriate for her and I might like it more if I had experienced that version first, but I will miss a lot of things about the old Chie. There's obviously the weird "Aha. Is this our chance?" line that's so bad it's good, but the little yells she always made in combat were perfect.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's heartbreaking, really. I just got it off of Amazon for 20 bucks. I knew that the voice actress for my favorite character had changed and I'd heard the two compared, but I figured I'll get over it. I'm two in-game days in and it's really painful. It's easy to say that the entire ER ruined me on any Chie alternative VA's, but it's not even that. From an objective point of view, OG Chie had a tomboy-ish personality and was soft-spoken. The new VA (Erin Fitzgerald?) sounds like Generic Anime Background Whiny Girl #3. It doesn't fit with who I know Chie to be. Maybe I can get over it, but so far I play for 10 minutes, then pause the Vita to come up for air, so to speak. Realities of business and all that, but this is frustrating.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: I've managed just about 20 hours in the game and I've gotten used to the voice now. Granted I've spent like 6 hours on Floor 7 of Yukiko's dungeon grinding, purely because my party's SP never depleted. After being wiped twice by the fucking King and his stupid Rampage, I just started grinding a bit for some extra money and then just kept going and I've gotten used to Chie's chime-ins during battle and have started coming around on her normal conversations outside of the TV. Hopefully you'll get used to it, because damn, this version of the game is awesome.

Also I totally stomped that fucking King when I went back up there. Right in his face. His stupid smug face.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Having played through some of Persona 4 Golden, I found the voice irritating and way to high pitched. That sort of thing never usually bothers me but boy, at times it likes nails down a chalkboard.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for reminding me why I haven't touched this in months

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#197  Edited By AndrewB

Still definitely one of those things you'd be perfectly fine with if you didn't associate the old voice to her image. Because of that, it's impossible for me to pick which is "better" after all, although I also have seen very little of the new through clips from P4A and P4G.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

What a bummer! I just started Golden, and the shrill, whiney, lispy new Chie voice is such a let down. I sort of agree with a poster above who said she used to sound like a more serious woman in her mid 30s, but I don't know, that sort of made the character.

Everything else about Golden seems like an improvement, though, so I'll live. It's probably for the best, as it'll mean I'll be more likely to pursue other relationships. Because you know, even though I've already seen Chie get to max social rank, I wouldn't have been able to resist doing it again if she were as charming as she used to be.

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#199  Edited By Jedted

This is why Golden Chie is the best: Old Chie vs Golden Chie

Still prefer the old voice actress?

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedted said:

This is why Golden Chie is the best: Old Chie vs Golden Chie

Still prefer the old voice actress?

Yes, absolutely. Though I didn't hate new Chie at all. I can happily admit the new girl is the better voice actress, it's just that I do not find her voice unique in any way. The original VA's awkwardness and overall tone made for a great character becoming unforgettable, in my humble opinion. But nothing to start a war over. Again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.