Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Finished the game for the first time and I feel empty

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TaunT

Is this normal?

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely remember Persona 4 being a hell of a ride and I was kinda sad when the game ended, so I totally get it. The game to me is more about the journey than the destination.

Avatar image for citizencoffeecake
    citizencoffeecake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I mean it's like when you finish watching a long running series or finish a book. You get attached to the characters and get used to escaping to that little world. There's a sort of comfort you can regularly call upon and now it's gone. There's a void left when credits finally roll.

Definitely normal I'd say.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By flasaltine

Yes. I felt the same way after finishing the Endurance run. That shit is long and pretty much becomes part of your life for like a month or something. It leaves you actually feeling lonely. I felt the same way after finishing The Witcher 3. The music plays a big role with this sort of stuff for me too. Go back and listen to some Persona 4 music like 3 months from now. It will make you sad because you will want to go back and have that experience again for the first time, but you cant.

hatumex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By hatumex

Yes, the characters are so fleshed out that Persona 4 felt like a part of my life while I was playing it, and when I watched the endurance run afterward.

The good news is Persona 5 will be out this year, so look forward to a whole new adventure!

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@taunt: Good news! You can continue their stories in the Persona Arena games and Dancing All Night!

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I felt something similar when I got the normal(?) ending in my first playthrough. We caught the killer and then the game just kinda ends. Protag just leaves Inaba and you don't even get to see Nanako for the last time (if I remember correctly). Currently in my second playthrough and I'm determined to get the True Ending, though thanks to Dark Souls 3 I've stopped at Heaven.

Rodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Yea it's pretty normal, you spend so much time, you get really invested in the characters and world, but like previously mentioned you've got some side games that have somewhat relevant stories in them.

you could also give persona 3 a go, it's just as good, or even that 3ds one. They've certainly capitalized on the persona 'brand'.

dprotp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep.

If you want to keep it going, try going for all the trophies--it's a pain because of the Risette one, where you have to trigger 250 unique Rise in-battle lines.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah I think everyone feels like that. For me I played it for the better part of a month, getting used to spending time with the characters and being in that world it's a bit of a blow when its all over. That's only because it's such a phenomenal game though.

(You could play Persona 3 or look forward to Persona 5 now though)

bsstephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yeah, finishing playing the game was extremely melancholy for me too, but I also recommend going for trophies or the True Ending and Epilogue if you didn't get the best possible ending --- they're great excuses for another playthrough. Or play again with different girl choices, fill in the Compendium, etc. I've put something like 430+ hours into the game, and every now and then fire it up for a return trip to Inaba. It'll always be there!

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Yup, that's 100% normal - that game grabs you and just holds on.

To be fair though, you're in a pretty good place compared to the original. If you got the true ending, you get that great closing cutscene of Charlie returning to Inaba 1 year later, and there's also those fighting games which kindof-but-not-really continue the story in a fun way.

Happy for you as you got to experience the game for the first time with the Golden edition, which at a minimum has that extended ending and the whole season of Winter, both of which are awesome.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Now looking forward to the upcoming greatness that is Persona 5!

I'd really love to recommend P3, but i'd hold off. Fatigue would suck while playing P5.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listening to the end credits theme even after all this time still puts me in a bittersweet mood, so yeah, it's perfectly normal. Man, what a ride this game was. If P5 connects with me even half as much as P4 did, I would consider myself satisfied.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I was also sad it ended, so I started a NG+ and tried to get every friendship rank to the max without using a guide. I'm still working on it and don't actually know if I'll succeed or not as of yet. It makes things a lot easier though since I don't need to waste days grinding levels in the TV. I have a level 99 Metatron with all stats maxed and with Ma-every element attacks and also a passive spell which cuts the SP needed to use all those attacks in half. Needless to say, he's pretty overpowered.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

@taunt said:

Is this normal?

Yeah, pretty much. The good news is you can return to the characters/world in the Golden Ending (if you didn't get it already. It's a 20-30minute epilogue), Persona 4 Arena, Persona 4: Arena Ultimax, and Persona 4: Dancing All Night (and the secret epilogue that picks up pretty much straight after P4G) Even if you don't like those genre typically, it's kinda crazy how much story is in them (P4D is 10-15 hours, and you don't even get to the rhythm game stuff until 1-2 hours in). There's plenty more P4 out there if you want it (and P3 is also kinda great, and P5 is not too far off).

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've heard some people refer to the feeling as "Post-Series Depression". It makes sense, especially a long, long ass game like Persona 4 where it becomes a sort of daily routine that becomes comforting to return to. I felt basically the same thing years ago when the endurance run finally ended. Usually passes in a week or two, depending on how invested you were. I think it's a charming and varied cast of characters that mostly causes these kinds of sensations.

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not going to believe Persona 5 is coming out this year until It actually ships. They can't be trusted.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taunt: Good news! You can continue their stories in the Persona Arena games and Dancing All Night!

Oh god this is how they get you isn't it?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to a post persona life, join me in indulging in fighting games, a weird dancing game, fanfiction.net in 3ds game format, and going back and playing older persona titles. If your really desperate you might find yourself reading someone's attempt to novelize the story of persona 4 or buying body pillows of Rise/Chie/Yukiko and weeping silently into the night. Eventually you will find yourself on the other side of this crippling addiction and the dreams of some japanese highschool will stop.. just in time for persona 5 motherfucker lets go!

hmoney001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*plays Never More

*gives hugs

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Take a deep breath it's time to say goodbye, this may be the end but it's ok I'll be alright. Sad nevermore, baby I'm sure its for the better, don't cry."

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to a post persona life, join me in indulging in fighting games, a weird dancing game, fanfiction.net in 3ds game format, and going back and playing older persona titles. If your really desperate you might find yourself reading someone's attempt to novelize the story of persona 4 or buying body pillows of Rise/Chie/Yukiko and weeping silently into the night. Eventually you will find yourself on the other side of this crippling addiction and the dreams of some japanese highschool will stop.. just in time for persona 5 motherfucker lets go!

Woah dude

hold on

fanfiction.net on my 3DS?

Shoey920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I downloaded the anime and watched the first episode after beating it.

Then I wondered what I was doing with my life and deleted it. I will not be that guy who's beaten Dancing All Night several times.

hack1501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt the same way. In fact, I hadn't felt that way about a game since Final Fantasy VII. It is easy to get invested in the characters in a game that is that well made. That was the first Persona game for me, looking forward to playing 5 when it comes out.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taunt said:
    @slyspider said:

Woah dude

hold on

fanfiction.net on my 3DS?

Have you played persona Q? You could hand me that script on a site that looks like FF.net and I wouldn't be surprised. That said the game isn't bad by any means.

spitz1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt the same thing, like, oh wth am I gonna do now?

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Yeah, I would say that is different from my experience, because after finishing it, I was incredibly fulfilled, since P4/P4G is my favorite game.

I would go for the Truth Ending and Epilogue if you haven't seen it. (Side story: My brother called me one night saying he finished P4G. When I asked him what he thought of the game, he said the ending sucked. Turns out he got a bad ending and for a brief moment assumed the ending to Persona 4 was garbage.)

There is the Persona 4 rabbit hole ready for you to explore: Persona 4 Arena...Persona 4 Arena Ultimax...Persona 4: Dancing All Night...Persona Q...Persona 4: The Animation...Persona 4 Golden: The Animation...the manga...the art books...the live Persona concerts...the Endurance Run...

A more sensible thing to do for your symptoms:

1. New Game+ or seeing Marie's dungeon, the True Ending, and the Epilogue, if you haven't seen any of that content
    2. Play through Persona 3 Portable
    3. Wait for Persona 5

Welcome to the club.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to start Dancing All Night!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.