Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Just bought Persona 4 Golden for $10. It will be my first JRPG in over 10 years.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll Just bought Persona 4 Golden for $10. It will be my first JRPG in over 10 years. (287 votes)

Persona 4? That's one of my favorite games of all time! 58%
    Persona 4? I enjoyed that game a lot! 21%
    Persona 4? Yeah, that game was alright. 3%
    Persona 4? Didn't really care for that game. Kinda overrated. 2%
    Persona 4? I played it, and it's awful. 0%
    Persona 4 for $10? I should probably buy that. 5%
    Never played it, but I loved the endurance run. 10%
    Never played it, and don't intend to. 1%

-

-

THE GAME IS NO LONGER ON SALE.

I CAN'T EDIT THE THREAD TITLE, BUT THIS IS AN OLDER THREAD. SORRY IF IT WAS BUMPED AND GOT YOUR HOPES UP.

[original thread follows]

The PS Vita / PSTV version of Persona 4 is only $10 right now on the US PSN store, so I thought I'd pick it up. For some reason, it's been years and years since I played a JRPG, and although I never watched the endurance run, I've heard a lot of good things about the game.

Now that the GB Persona craze of the endurance run is long over, I was wondering what people still think of the game at this point. I'm looking forward to finally checking it all out for myself. If you're interested, the sale price should be effective until December 1st.

• 
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By probablytuna

One of the best games ever made.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mwng

Game is still amazing every time I revisit it, looks pretty ok on the PSTV on larger TV sizes too.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Maaaaan that game is good. I will continue to tell anybody who listens that Persona 3 is better but 4 is really solid and is a great choice to get back into the JRPG genre after an absence since it isn't too JRPG-like

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would watch the endurance run and witness how persona 4 was meant to be experienced and then check out persona 3 or play through 4 yourself. I watched the ER earlier this year and then went on to put like 90hrs into 3(still nowhere close to finishing) but i enjoyed the game alot and will be getting persona 5 later on. But yeah i recommend the endurance run as these games are 100's of hrs long like the old school Jrpgs.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

I actually played it quite recently, and got maybe half way through before I got bored? It's ok yeah, kinda a bad rpg, but the side stuff makes it interesting enough.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I watched the P4 ER a couple years or so after it was going on and ended up loving it. Stupid I wasn't keeping up with it before, but in general back then I just watched a lot less GB video content every day. If they put out Golden on a PS3 in some way I would probably play that too to see the extras. So I voted never played it but loved the ER.

I played P3 FES somehow about a year ago now really loved playing through that game and found it very good as well. I did play it on Easy because I wanted to just go through it with no grinding and I still enjoyed the combat, just I had to deal with less of the moments were your team gets rocked very suddenly when an enemy exposes a weakness. The combat is interesting and not bad by any means but I don't exactly love it either so Easy was the way to go for me. The story was really enjoyable if different than 4. Kind of made me appreciate 4's changes even more to some aspects but it certainly had strengths of its own and I found the dark/depressing tone of the game almost overwhelming in a good way when they were going for that.

I consider 3 and 4 among my favorite games. The school setting, fun characters, great art and design, catchy music, day by day structure all really make a special mix to me.

I'm a similar way with JRPGs these days as far as hardly playing them but I still play SRPGs like FFT and Tactics Ogre pretty regularly.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love playing this on my ps tv, I can't imagine I'll finish it before P5 comes out.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paulmako

Use headphones! Or at least turn the volume up. That game has rad music and voicework.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 is one of those games that for whatever reason, I just ended up missing it; I'm probably never going to end up going back to it too. Maybe I'll go watch the Endurance Run at some point, but after hearing about that game in bits and pieces (especially some of the character reveals), I wonder if it will still have an impact. That said, Persona 3 was fantastic so I'm sort of jealous of you being able to experience one of those games for the first times. When that game clicks with you, it's something to behold.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played it for about 200 hours last year and watched the Endurance Run twice.

...It's an okay game.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Aha! ... this is your chance.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best turn based RPG ever made, and my favorite game of all time.

That's my opinion of that video game.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@imhungry said:

Maaaaan that game is good. I will continue to tell anybody who listens that Persona 3 is better but 4 is really solid and is a great choice to get back into the JRPG genre after an absence since it isn't too JRPG-like

I often feel like an odd one out on Giant Bomb.

Persona 3 may be one of my top 5 games of all time, yet Persona 4 would probably barely make my top 20 RPGs. It's a great game, but it just retreaded so much that Persona 3 already did.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By afabs515

It is unquestionably my favorite game of all time

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shaunk

@viking_funeral said:
    @imhungry said:

Persona 3 may be one of my top 5 games of all time, yet Persona 4 would probably barely make my top 20 RPGs. It's a great game, but it just retreaded so much that Persona 3 already did.

I just didn't enjoy the story in the game. I felt like the characters were not as exciting as P4. And the dog. I really don't like when JRPGS have an animal or a monster that has very little personality be a playable character because I feel like it is a wasted slot on someone who could have decent character development and a personality. I thought the game played well, but it played as well as P4. The one thing I will say is that Persona 3's ending may be one of the best video game endings I have ever seen.

I just realized that I should add one thing: I played P3P. I feel like not having the animations of the characters in school and hitting each other and crap may have added to me not feeling attached to the characters.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shaunk: Yeah IMO P3P is far from the ideal experience of P3:FES to actually experience the story. The two games have such different tones in the stories that its hard to compare them directly but personally I just enjoyed the gravitas of P3 (which one could argue is typical JRPG saving the world trash I guess) more than the murder mystery direction in P4, though that's fun too.

I also continue to hold that it's way nicer that P3's main party all have built in character arcs in the main story (except Koromaru which I agree with you on but also THE DOG IS WEARING ARMOR AND EQUIPS KNIVES) as opposed to P4's decision of leaving most of the development to the character's S-Links.

Like I said at the start, both are great but P3 just really does it more for me for whatever reason, though I can totally see others having the opposite feelings of preferring the somewhat lighter murder mystery thing in P4

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:

Because Persona 4 did all that stuff way better? I played them backwards, so my experience is obviously different from yours, but from my perspective P3 felt like playing a lesser version of P4 in every aspect (the setting was duller, the characters were flatter, the gameplay wasn't as good-- especially that whole "you can't control your characters have fuuuuuun" thing).

They have completely different atmospheres and all that jazz (and looking at P5, it will also be completely different in those regards), so it's pretty easy to fall on one side or the other depending on what kind of stuff you prefer.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's only my favorite game of all time, Persona 3 being a close second. Please do enjoy!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TobbRobb

@viking_funeral: Honestly for me, it's a question about tone. P3 goes for the epic dark story, big events, big consequences. In comparison 4 feels a bit more grounded and lighthearted. Yes I remember the ending to 4, but in general. Not trying put one over the other quality wise, I just think they are different enough that I could even see people outright disliking one while loving the other. I personally think they are both amazing, but 4 is closer to my heart.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just got it a couple of days ago. Completely worth it so far.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are in for a real treat buddy. One of my all time favorites. Persona 3 I prefer in almost every respect, but that's just how good these games are.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is a steal.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I approve of how this poll is going.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Persona 4 is my favorite game I've never actually played the entire way through. Half the reason I've never finished it is because Golden exists and I still have the vague notion of buying a Playstation TV for like $20 at some point and picking that up alongside it. Also I might've lent my PS2 copy to a friend somewhere around 2 years ago and have yet to get it back. I'll have to pester her about it at some point.

If we're going to do the Persona 3 vs 4 thing, I think they're both fantastic games but I like P4's cast and tone more. They've both been run into the ground by Atlus at this point, so I'm glad P5 exists.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Never played it, but I enjoyed some parts of the endurance run." would be my poll pick. Even Deadly Premonition ER felt like less of a chore to watch through with it's 'shooting w/e zombies in dark hallways" parts than the boring-ass dungeons and fights this game had. I had a lot of spare time when I began watching it earlier this year, but I still wish I would've chosen to watch the handy 'Best of-videos' from Youtube instead.

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ER introduced me to the franchise and I ended up completing 4, 3 FES and both halves of Persona 2 in quick succession afterwards. Admittedly, mechanics will feel little dated but the narrative holds up well and I enjoed each game.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sometimes regret buying a PS Vita. Then I remember it allowed me to play MGS 1-3, Soul Sacrifice and Persona 4.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

I love Persona 4, it's my favourite game. I'm hoping we get a remake or re-release of some kind on PS4 soon so I can revisit it.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a good jprg. I definitely ruined it for myself by watching the endurance run long before I got it for the vita. Some of the mechanics felt dated and knowing the plot made me less inclined to finish it

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dan_CiTi

As someone who finished P3:FES the day before P4 came out, played that game to death, then watched the ER religiously from day one...yeah that game is the best. P3 is good too but half the time I just didn't want to engage in the combat a lot of going through Tartarous felt like a slog. I did like some of the bosses a lot though.

CottoneUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$10 is a excellent deal! Enjoy your time with this game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MeierTheRed

Bought it a few years back started it and played for 4 hours stopped, picked it up last week i'm at the 4 hour mark again, and yet again i feel like stopping.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.