Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 4 Golden

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 14, 2012

Persona 4 Golden is an update of the critically acclaimed PlayStation 2 role-playing game. New additions and changes have been made exclusively for the PlayStation Vita.

Stuck in a boss battle (Spoilers!)

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Dynablade

I'm having a tough time trying to beat Shadow Mitsuo in the dark void dungeon. The boss's second form is giving me the most problems with the mix of elemental attacks taking out my party in two-three hits. This is the current team I am using to fight this boss:

Main Character (Jack) LV 33

Persona: Pyro Jack w/ Agilao, Tarunda, Rakunda, Auto-Sukukaja, Mahama, Mamudo, and Marakukaja

Yukiko LV 32

Persona: Konohana Sakuya w/ Recarm, Amrita, Me Patra, Maragi, Media, Mudoon, Divine Grace, and Agilao

Kanji Tatsumaki LV 33

Persona: Take-Mikazuchi w/ Mazio, Zionga, Rakukaja, Kill Rush, Regenerate 1, and Elec Boost

Teddie LV 37

Persona: Kintoki-Douji w/ Mediarama, Bufula, Energy Shower, Poison Skewer, Re Patra, Auto-Rakukaja, and Traesto

Am I too under leveled to fight this boss? Is there a way I can beat this boss currently? Do I have to start my file over again? I would be greatfull if I can get some sort of insight of what I'm doing right or wrong.

Hrothdane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hrothdane

I think you might be underleveled. I'm doing Void Quest right now and my party is in its high fourties, low fifties. If you can at least get to 39 so you can make Black Frost, you might be okay. He has no weaknesses, a nice move set, and actually drains both ice and fire.

Are you going back and revisiting old dungeons when the optional bosses show up? The game seems to be balanced based on the assumption that players will go back and train some and do quests.

What level are you with the Hermit social link? If you have been leveling it, you should have no problem keeping your SP up to keep fighting in the TV forever if you want.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Joeyoe31

First off Dynablade I'd like to start by saying that your username is FUCKING RAD.

Second, you're underleveled. I haven't played Golden at all but I can say that with my experience with the original, your party should be around level 45 by the time you fight Mitsuo. Just go to the dungeon and grind out a few levels. When you hit around 40-45 then I'd say try again.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MezZa

Yeah you're definitely underleveled. In my playthroughs of the original on ps2, I was around your level for the Rise and Teddy fight. Should be in 40's for Mitsuo.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Dynablade

@Hrothdane Oh crap your actually supposed to go back through the prior dungeons and beat the optional bosses? I've beaten only two of them so far, that may explain why the past few boss battles I went through were pretty tough. As for the Hermit social link I think I'm around LV 2, I haven't done many of the Fox quests at all.

@Joeyoe31 Thank you :). As for leveling that maybe an issue being that I'm already at Aug 11th in the game with one day left to complete the dungeon. I could try starting back on previous floors to see if I can get some quick leveling.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Dynablade said:

@Hrothdane Oh crap your actually supposed to go back through the prior dungeons and beat the optional bosses? I've beaten only two of them so far, that may explain why the past few boss battles I went through were pretty tough. As for the Hermit social link I think I'm around LV 2, I haven't done many of the Fox quests at all.

@Joeyoe31 Thank you :). As for leveling that maybe an issue being that I'm already at Aug 11th in the game with one day left to complete the dungeon. I could try starting back on previous floors to see if I can get some quick leveling.

If you fail to save someone you get sent back a week (with or without the stats you had at the time, I can't remember) in order to rethink your time management. Just remember if worse comes to worse you're probably not actually stuck. Just accept it and go back a week. Just saying for future if it doesn't work out in your favor.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Dynablade

@Joeyoe31: Oh so the game doesn't end if I fail to save someone. I was under the impression that it did, but if all it does is transport me back a week then that's pretty convenient.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Joeyoe31

@Dynablade said:

@Joeyoe31: Oh so the game doesn't end if I fail to save someone. I was under the impression that it did, but if all it does is transport me back a week then that's pretty convenient.

Sorry I broke the illusion of difficulty.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Dynablade

No prob lol.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By korolev

In P4G, you can technically grind forever. Just buy a mage's mark and do the lower level dungeons - this should allow you to kill everything with just physical attacks, and allow you to gain SP through the Mage's mark. It takes a while, but you can technically grind forever if you're willing to put in the time. It's what I do - I complete every single dungeon on the first day by simply grinding till I have no SP, equipping Mage's Mark, then I go back to the bath-house or even the castle and I grind until I get all my SP back and then go tackle the dungeon again.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Flappy

For future reference, you should try to gain around 10 levels between each boss fight. Although it may not be apparent at first, levels are pretty important in this game. If you wanna make it a bit easier on yourself, try to farm the Golden enemies that spawn on the lower levels of the dungeon. If you have Revolution (a skill that increases the chances of getting a critical hit), use it and start using physical skills. If you don't have access to them, use regular physical attacks and hope that you get lucky. If all goes well, you'll get a bunch of experience and a good chunk of change for your wallet.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dynablade

Whoa I wasn't aware I could do that, I guess that means I need to get a mage's mark to help with the leveling.

I'll keep that in mind while I'm going through the rest of this game. The golden enemies do take a while to take down, but thankfully Chie does know Rebellion so that shouldn't be too bad.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince

How is Teddie a higher level then your main character?

Also I was level 49 when I fought Mitsuo. I didn't really grind at all. All I did was make sure to explore the whole of a level before moving on for chests and I guess that was enough to boost me pretty high.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Dark

I got through it with no optional dungeons and only had to grind 2 levels for mitsuo and 5 levels for the 2nd last dungeon (lawl no spoilers lawl). The trick is to clear out every level of the dungeon fighting every single mob.

BTW, get Black Frost, make sure you keep mind charge with him. If you have level 10 social link you will be 1 level away from him getting heavy fire damage, get him that level and laugh as you basically kill the boss in 5 spell casts. I got lucky and got a persona lvl increase card while grinding him up after 2 fights.

I kept Black Frost for the next 2 dungeons, I still use him for mind charge now days seeing as I have severe damage spell persona's now.

::EDIT:: Also make sure to level Yukiko's social up enough to get Amrita, give her a fear ward or panic ward (I forget which he does). That way you can basically dispel the entire group and stop Mitsuo from 1 shotting almost the entire party.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hungry

@Dynablade said:

Main Character (Jack) LV 33

Persona: Pyro Jack w/ Agilao, Tarunda, Rakunda, Auto-Sukukaja, Mahama, Mamudo, and Marakukaja

It scares me that you only list one Persona for your main character. You know you can have like, a ton right? And switch them out mid-combat at no turn cost? It is pretty great.

You are grossly underleveled and I have no clue what the rest of your roster is like, but if Pyro Jack is your best then you need better Personas. Get to grindin'! When you analyze a Shadow it displays a level. You should be around the levels of the shadows on the highest floor of the dungeon. I would recommend going to Rise's dungeon and completing it again.

(good job with Tarunda and Rakunda though, they are life-savers in boss battles and there is no Akihiko-style character to be your buff/debuff machine).

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By kerse

I was like 48 when I fought Mitsuo, kinda impressed you got so far at such a low level to be honest.

A word of advice, kill every enemy you run across on every floor and you will be able to avoid having to grind like you are going to have to do now. If you run into a lot of gold hands you can easily skip some enemies though.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dynablade

@Hungry: Well Pyro Jack wasn't my only Persona for my main character there are a few others I have such as:

Ose LV 35 w/ Power Slash, Atom Smasher, Power Charge, Me Patra, Tarunda, Sukukaja, Auto-Sukukaja, and Poison Mist

Izanagi LV 20 w/ Zio, Cleave, Rakukaja, Rakunda, Matarukaja, Mazio, Sukunda

Ares LV 29 w/ Gale Slash, Counter, Hama, Twin Shot, Masukukaja, Dekaja, Dodge Wind, and Rampage

Ame-no-Uzume LV 21 w/ Media, Magaru, Hama, Recarm, Dekaja, Dia, Invigorate 1, and Re Patra

Phoenix LV 20 w/ Garula, Maragi, Patra, Media, and Dia

Nigi Mitama LV 23 w/ Diarama, Me Patra, and Re Patra

Ganga LV 33 w/ Bufula, Diarama, Dekaja, Mabufu, Mind Slice, Null Exhaust, and Mediarama

He's higher cause I didn't grind as much between dungeons, hence why I'm only around 36 hours and not like 45 lol.

I'll keep Black Frost in mind because I keep seeing others use him in battle. I also have Yukiko's SL at LV 8 so she does know Amrita already.

Yeah I'm surprised too especially since the last couple of dungeons and bosses were no cake walk.

Up until the Void quest I cleared out only the Castle and have not bothered with clearing out both the Bathhouse or Strip Club. Guess I'll be doing that a bit later lol.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By dropabombonit

I had problems with him too but it has been 3 years since I have played Persona 4 so can't remember how I got past this part. Sorry for not being of much help

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By Undeadpool

@Dynablade: The optional bosses won't get you much XP, but they WILL get you an awesome weapon for whoever's dungeon it is, so yeah you're probably gonna be stuck grinding up to early 40s. As someone said above: the best solution is to never avoid a fight (unless absolutely necessary) and my rule of thumb is: if it takes more than 10-15 battles to gain a level, you're high enough level.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.