Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Action combat was considered

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 27

In a recent interview director Katsura Hashino was thinking of having combat in real time but pushed it aside since the team was not ready to implement it since it conflicted with the other systems of the game like fusing and passing over skills.Link to interview here: http://personacentral.com/persona-5-action-combat-concept/

What do you guys think? Would a more action combat work with the series and would you like to see it in a future title?

I wouldn't mind it as long as it works and having interesting mechanics to make it fun. I can imagine it to be like Mario RPG style with button commands during attacks.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I probably wouldn't be opposed to it, but I'd be sad to see one of the last good turn-based combat series drop it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Considering how few good turn based games there are now, I'd be extremely disappointed. I don't mind more action focused combat, but I prefer turn based.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm not entirely opposed to it, but SMT games in general are slowly becoming the last bastion of classic turn based JRPG combat. I'd be sad to see it go. Just let Square fuck around with their experimental combat on Final Fantasy, they've been trying stuff out for over 10 years already.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I have little to no interest in playing a super long game (which I assume this is) with turn based combat, so action combat might've been the thing to get me to actually play one of these. Assuming it was done well, but who knows!

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The turn based combat was one of the things that first drew me to Persona and SMT sa a whole and I would be sad to see it go if they ever decided to change things up.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The Devil Summoner Raidou games had an action combat system that was pretty good so I think they could make it work. Glad they stuck with turn based for this iteration though as it's a dying breed.

TanookiSuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I actually like the pacing of the turn-based combat for Persona games (JRPGs in general) since most of the time you need to consider your moves carefully, at least with the first encounter of an enemy type. Once you know weaknesses, etc, It's not so much of an issue, but to go from turn-based to a more action-style ala Final Fantasy 15, they would need to change quite a bit of what makes Persona "Persona" in relation to the combat. How would gang-ups work, if they even had them? Stuff like that.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that it has turned based combat but, I would probably still play it if it was real time.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the turn-based combat in P4 is kinda boring. You don't know anyone's weaknesses and there's now way to tell from how they look because they reuse old models, so you just end up going down a checklist for every single one until you find something that sticks, and then do it over and over again for as long as it takes the enemy to die. It's dull! So I kinda prefer action RPGs, but action combat in groups is also kind of a mess. So if they were still gonna have a huge team it could turn annoying like pawns in Dragon's Dogma or a mess of effects like Dragon Age Inquisition.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be sad if it turned into another generic ARPG. We already have a shit ton of those.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know what was once considered? Persona 5 being on PC. It burns me so much that they cut that out, because I'm not going to buy a console just to play one game.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

I'm very very opposed to that idea. There aren't a lot of great turn-based RPGs coming consoles anymore and losing Persona would be a huge blow.

I'm all for more side-projects that are action based, like Raidou Kuzunoha, but I hope they never go that route with the mainline Persona games. Party based combat just works so much better in a turn-based combat system than Action based, and your party members are extremely important to the identity of Persona as a series.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plenty of console action games, but very few quality turn based games anymore. Especially Jrpg's

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By redyoshi

I hate this idea that RPGs need to evolve past turn-based combat. The tension of a long battle and having to carefully consider my moves before taking action is one of my favorite things in video games and I would have been very disappointed if Persona had changed that.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By brownsfantb

Personally, I like turn-based systems more than real-time systems. I tend to be more analytical and slow-paced and can sometimes get overwhelmed by real-time systems. It's why I'm way more into XCOM or Fire Emblem over something like Starcraft. An offshoot of the Persona/SMT games that uses a real-time battle system would be cool but they should keep the mainline series turn-based.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@casepb said:

I would be sad if it turned into another generic ARPG. We already have a shit ton of those.

To be fair there are tons of shit turn based RPGs too.

Persona avoids a lot criticism because it has a lot of style but the combat was never that great and I feel like it's fan base accepts that and just wants more of the same.

Much like Pokemon Persona's combat is just about hoarding weird monsters and mixing and matching strengths and weaknesses which would be hard to manage in real time.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aegon

I would be fine with it if it was a blend of the two like Valkyria Chronicles. The demon can only attack while you move. When you stop moving you can think of a strategy. It keeps the spirit of turn-based strategy while adding a new element of challenge. Wish more games did that. It's a great idea.

Shed a tear for Valkyria Chronicles and what could have been.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zeik

@boozak: Persona 4 legitimately has one of my favorite combat systems in any RPG. I've never played an action RPG I've enjoyed nearly as much. And not just because of "style", because the SMT franchise as a whole has many variations on that system that I also enjoy, and most of them don't have the same emphasis on "style" as Persona.

It really frustates me when people try to dismiss or qualify other people's love of something simply because they don't feel the same. It almost always boils down to "These people don't actually like what they say they like, they're just blind fanboys/fangirls praising it in spite of their true feelings that I know better than they do", which is pretty much the most obnoxious attitude in the world.

I don't expect everyone to share my opinion, so I expect others not assume their opinion and views are shared by everyone either.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think the turn based combat that lets you take your time and consider tactics is one of the defining characteristics of that game. One of many of course. If they changed it then that would be a significant step away from what makes those games what they are in a similar way to how Fallout 3 completely redefines the combat from the originals (obviously not counting the dramatic shift to first person).

Although Persona with Bayonetta combat would be nice..

Any game with Bayonetta combat would be nice though.

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

@humanity: I always imagine a spin off Persona game like that. Like you play as a anti shadow weapon like Aigis.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@aegon said:

I would be fine with it if it was a blend of the two like Valkyria Chronicles. The demon can only attack while you move. When you stop moving you can think of a strategy. It keeps the spirit of turn-based strategy while adding a new element of challenge. Wish more games did that. It's a great idea.

Anything but that! It's got the thing where you can press your gun into the temple of an enemy soldier and still have a good percentage chance of missing. It's like Dragon Age Origins on console, where you can clearly dodge an enemy's axe swing and still be hit because he's in the general vicinity of you. I hate systems with dice rolls on top of real-time actions, it's like a platformer where you land safely on top of a platform and then the RNG decides whether you just fall through or not.

If there's anything this thread has proven, it's that they couldn't make everyone happy no matter what they chose to do.

@humanity said:

Although Persona with Bayonetta combat would be nice..

Any game with Bayonetta combat would be nice though.

I hope Nier Automata is awesome.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Aegon
    @redhotchilimist said:
    @aegon said:

Anything but that! It's got the thing where you can press your gun into the temple of an enemy soldier and still have a good percentage chance of missing.

I don't remember that ever happening to me and I was never at point blank with the enemy. Even if that's a potential problem, it doesn't mean the entire system is no good. It's fun and strategic and if there are kinks, they can be worked out. That's game design.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@redhotchilimist: You and me both! I persevered through some of the more lacking portions of Nier to uncover the good bits underneath and I think it was totally worth it but that was by no stretch of the imagination a "well playing game." Really hoping the Platinum combat can elevate the gameplay portion to be at least half as good as the storytelling was.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that would have probably been a bad idea. If you want to make and SMT game with a radically different gameplay you make a new spin off. That just how the SMT franchise works. If the experiment works you make more of that spin off. But that is not to say you can't add a concept to a spin off. Persona is a perfect example of this.

Persona = SMT turn based battles and demon fusion + Team of human combatants and demons as stands as opposed to combatants + contemporary setting i.e. no traditional SMT apocalypse or post apocalypse.

Persona 3 = all of the above + Time management + heavy amount of non combat activities to go with the time management.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.