Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Are we on TGS or assume dead for Persona 5?

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As much as it pains me to say it, with it missing E3, which I personally didn't expect it to be at, TGS 2013 seems like the last hope for the announcement of P5. If it doesn't show and no mention of it is made, are we safe to assume something happened in development and, while it will come out, it won't be coming out in any relative time frame of the next few years? It's been a LONG time since P4, and while after arena came out they claimed the P4 team was working exclusively on a new game, I can't help but feel like it will be 2016-17 before we see a release in japan. :'(

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Wasn't Persona 4 one of Atlus's most profitable and most popular games? I doubt that they would simply abandon that series, especially since they're a fairly niche developer as far as I know.

EDIT: Then again, Nocturne was also a relatively popular SMT game from what I know - I think they reprinted it here in the West, which doesn't often happen to their games - and we're only just now getting a sequel to that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

You have to remember that there was a large gap in time between Persona 2 and Persona 3. They cranked out Persona 4 relatively quickly because the engine and demon assets already existed. Atlus has said before that Persona 5 is in development, and I imagine that it'll probably be a super-late generation PS3 release, at the very least, if the pattern holds.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No. I also don't expect it to be at TGS.

Plus, Atlus/Index is in a bit of a bind right now so who knows how it's affecting the game's development.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bigjeffrey

Persona 4 Arena 2 (2014) - VITA exclusive

Persona 5 (2015) - Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

Are ATLUS themselves doing the Persona 3 Movie or is that outsourced?

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

We still need one more Persona 4 game. THE PATTERN MUST NOT BE BROKEN!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: p3p came out after 4, so Super Persona 4 Golden will be out after 5!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Justin258

@hailinel said:

You have to remember that there was a large gap in time between Persona 2 and Persona 3. They cranked out Persona 4 relatively quickly because the engine and demon assets already existed. Atlus has said before that Persona 5 is in development, and I imagine that it'll probably be a super-late generation PS3 release, at the very least, if the pattern holds.

A good question might be "Do the PS3 and 360 have the same staying power that the PS2 did?" I can't pinpoint why, but I just feel like once next generation rolls around, this one is going to get the door shut on it a whole lot faster than the PS2 did previous generation.

Also, unless Atlus has officially stated something, I'm still not convinced that Persona 5 will be a console game. I could definitely see it being a Vita and/or 3DS game.

@video_game_king said:

What pattern?

There are three games with the title "Persona 2", one of which is a remake. There are three games with the title "Persona 3", one of which is a remake. There are three games with the title "Persona 4", one of which is a remake. The pattern seems fulfilled to me.

EDIT: I do know that one of those versions of Persona 2 was remade and not released here, but the other one was. I just get their names mixed up all the time.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@believer258 said:

There are three games with the title "Persona 2", one of which is a remake.

You mean four?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Justin258

@fluxwavez: I realized that as soon as I posted it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 Arena 2 (2014) - VITA exclusive

Persona 5 (2015) - Playstation 3 and Xbox 360

Are ATLUS themselves doing the Persona 3 Movie or is that outsourced?

The P3 movie is the same deal as the P4 anime. An animation studio is producing it with Atlus's oversight.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P5 just announced, coming to the Playstation 2 this november.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
    deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's only been two years since Catherine. I'd imagine JRPGs require a huge amount of pre-production time so I doubt they have enough of P5 made to warrant an announcement this year.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Dagbiker

I have not looked very closely but it looks like Index is just selling off IP's and assets, Such as Class of Heroes. Which isn't even owned by Atlus anymore.

Even if they did make a P5, and I hope they do, nothing can recreate that magic...

e: (Although I'm on my second playthrough of p4g so what do I know.)

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

What pattern?

Not counting PSP rereleases of the first two(ish) games, the pattern goes thus:

1 Persona 1

2 Persona 2 (Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment)

3 Persona 3 (Vanilla, FES, and Portable)

And so far, we only have three Persona 4 (Vanilla, Golden, and Arena). THE PROPHECY REMAINS UNFULFILLED.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Justin258

@believer258 said:

@video_game_king said:

What pattern?

Not counting PSP rereleases of the first two(ish) games, the pattern goes thus:

1 Persona 1

2 Persona 2 (Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment)

3 Persona 3 (Vanilla, FES, and Portable)

And so far, we only have three Persona 4 (Vanilla, Golden, and Arena). THE PROPHECY REMAINS UNFULFILLED.

Isn't P3 Portable kinda iffy, though, since it's just a remake with a re-worked overworld? It's the same game, essentially.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@believer258:

From what I've read of it, they shuffle around enough content to justify the pattern. The Answer is pretty much a bonus dungeon here instead of an entire epilogue.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Believe people!

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will happen... in due time

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Bearing in my that Atlus' parent company is under investigation for pretty serious corporate crime, you will not see the game at TGS.

eirikr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By eirikr

when is shin megami tensei iv: maniacs coming out

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

they kind of didnt end the persona 4 arena storyline, so i imagine the continuation of that is first.

but i think tgs you get a tease of persona 5,

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Justin258

@believer258:

From what I've read of it, they shuffle around enough content to justify the pattern. The Answer is pretty much a bonus dungeon here instead of an entire epilogue.

As someone who has played both (only FES to completion), I would have a hard time arguing that they shuffle around enough content to count. But it does not sound like P3P added much more to P3 than Golden did to P4 - but then if we're counting re-releases and remakes, then the PSP versions of Persona 1 and 2 must count as well.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

That Index stuff has me pretty worried. Hopefully if something does happen, P5 can get Saints Row IV'd

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would people feel about a FES style follow on instead of Persona 5 (because I have a feeling they may pull that as a stop gap)?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

How would people feel about a FES style follow on instead of Persona 5 (because I have a feeling they may pull that as a stop gap)?

No.

And no.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It'll be just like P4, it'll come out when we're well into the next-gen for the PS3.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extomar said:

No.

And no.

I'd like to be wrong but if I am they pull a FF9 which was a fine game as well but many forgot or ignored because of the platform switch.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king said:

@believer258:

As someone who has played both (only FES to completion), I would have a hard time arguing that they shuffle around enough content to count. But it does not sound like P3P added much more to P3 than Golden did to P4 - but then if we're counting re-releases and remakes, then the PSP versions of Persona 1 and 2 must count as well.

The Girl's Side in P3P is a pretty different experience. Some unique social links and story events.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Turambar

@extomar said:

@fluxwavez said:

@extomar said:

No.

And no.

I'd like to be wrong but if I am they pull a FF9 which was a fine game as well but many forgot or ignored because of the platform switch.

Considering how Persona 3 and 4 came out well after the release of the PS3, there's no danger of that.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

@turambar said:

@extomar said:

@fluxwavez said:

@extomar said:

No.

And no.

Considering how Persona 3 and 4 came out well after the release of the PS3, there's no danger of that.

Plus how many people forgot about FF9? Isn't that critically acclaimed and pretty well loved by the Final Fantasy community?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turambar said:

@extomar said:

@fluxwavez said:

@extomar said:

No.

And no.

Plus how many people forgot about FF9? Isn't that critically acclaimed and pretty well loved by the Final Fantasy community?

I would say so, certainly.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People were saying for years that Versus and KH3 were never gonna happen (myself included). Well, we all know what happened with those games, so I'm gonna be optimistic and say P5 will be the same way. I would be really surprised if it was shown at TGS considering all the shit Index is in right now. But I really think it's gonna happen at some point either way.

Also, P4A ended on a cliffhanger which I can only assume is a teaser for P5.

Good things come to those who wait... I hope.

XtremePudim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It’s worth noting that Persona 4 came out December 2008 for the PS2, by then the PS3 had been around for 2 years, and the 360 for 3. Therefore, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Persona 5 come out for 360/PS3 in 2014/2015, maybe even 2016.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

@afabs515 said:

People were saying for years that Versus and KH3 were never gonna happen (myself included). Well, we all know what happened with those games, so I'm gonna be optimistic and say P5 will be the same way. I would be really surprised if it was shown at TGS considering all the shit Index is in right now. But I really think it's gonna happen at some point either way.

I assumed Persona 4 Arena was a teaser for Persona 4 Arena 2 and Persona 5 would be it's own loosely connected thing. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@afabs515 said:

I assumed Persona 4 Arena was a teaser for Persona 4 Arena 2 and Persona 5 would be it's own loosely connected thing. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

No, P4A was a one-off thing. I'm pretty sure that if it was meant to have a direct fighting game sequel, we would have heard something about it by now. The cliffhanger is much more likely connected to Persona 5.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@hailinel said:

@pyromagnestir said:

@afabs515 said:

No, P4A was a one-off thing. I'm pretty sure that if it was meant to have a direct fighting game sequel, we would have heard something about it by now. The cliffhanger is much more likely connected to Persona 5.

Frankly, there's as much reason to believe in one of the scenarios as much as the other. Unless you work at Atlus.

That's even despite the fact that, like someone has said in this thread, they're going through some serious financial strains right now, and who knows how that might affect which titles end up being announced or not.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.