Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Characters' voice during dialogues

DrChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello guys,

I started playing Persona 5 two days ago, therefore I am still a newbie...
    I found that since the beginning of the story, the protagonist's audio is silent when he speaks or is involved in a conversation, while all the other characters (example Sojiro Sakura) do have a voice. Is it something that changes over the course of the game or is it going to be always like this?
    Being my first time playing Persona, I personally don't like this in a game, I'd like to heat the voice of the main character, not the one of the other NPCs!!!

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By TheChris

Protagonists in Atlus RPGS generally don’t have a voice, and with the way Persona is I actually prefer it like that. So I’m gonna have to burst your bubble and to tell you that you won’t get what you want. The protagonist in 5 does have a more defined backstory, than previous games with some inner monologuing, and occasional voiced lines, but nothing big.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MattGiersoni

Nope, the protagonist is mostly silent, except from the occasional "huhs? oohs," and occasional single-line voiced stuff like "show me your true form" or shouting "persona!"when you attack or other rare single-lines during exploration etc. I always thought it's meant to be you basically. Obviously you can't change the appearance, but you can name the protagonist and make different choices, so it's probably more for roleplaying's sake, but I suppose it's also a bit of a stylistic choice. I dunno why they do it that way but that's how it is. Personally I don't mind it and didn't really care, still love Persona games and P5 is in my top 3 this year.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

He is pretty much silent throughout - because you have a lot of dialogue options I imagine that's the main reason. I grew up playing a lot of CRPG games where the main character isn't voiced, so that type of thing never bothered me. I actually dislike games that limit your dialogue options or have a disconnect between what you choose to say and what the character actually says.

DrChef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By DrChef

@thechris: my goal was not to get a voiced protagonist... I was just asking if that would change during the course of the game or stay like this till the end

@mattgiersoni P5 is in my top3 as well :)

@captain_insano it's ok if he is not voiced, what annoys me is that it's only him not voiced, while the other NPCs do speak out here and there. Morgana does have a voice, so this feature is not consistent throughout the game... It's not something like "protagonists are silent, while the other characters have a voice occasionally", it looks more as a random thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.