Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Could we lose visual novel style character portraits?

• 61 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FrostyRyan

This is something that keeps me awake at night. Gives me nightmares. Keeps me from moving on in life. Could we potentially lose the visual novel style portraits of the characters in Persona 5? Hell, could we get rid of the dialogue boxes all together in favor of fully directed cutscenes like in Catherine? I feel like Catherine is absolutely the point of reference here, as it was a ps3 game made by the Persona team. Take a look.

No Caption Provided

A cutscene of someone talking in Catherine. Looks great. But does that mean we'll lose this?...

No Caption Provided

So what on earth are we in for with Persona 5? Visual novel style character portraits with dialogue boxes, directed CG cutscenes using the in-game graphics, and 2D animated cutscenes SHOULD all be in there depending on the moment, right? But is anyone else worried we're gonna completely get rid of the character portrait dialogue boxes altogether in this game? I'll definitely be sad if that's the case.

Do you guys think they will be done with? Do you think they SHOULD be done with?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

Sooooo... are you with or againts it then? Because how you titled the thread it seems that you arent then proceed to lament if they are done for.... for me I dont care either way , tho I prefer 2d animation and pixel art when it comes to japanese games or at least on jrpgs.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aetheldod: "But is anyone else worried we're gonna completely get rid of the character portrait dialogue boxes altogether? I'll definitely be sad if that's the case."

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BisonHero

As long as there are Japanese console/handheld games with incredibly limited budgets (which is to say, CONSTANTLY), there will be visual-novel-style characters portraits. Because it's like a zillion times cheaper than animating those portraits, or doing full on cutscenes.

And it's a perfectly acceptable stylistic choice as far as Japanese devs are concerned, so they're not just going to stop doing it if they like it.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They need to go away. They made sense on PS2 with the limited detail and animation potential of the in-game assets, but this is going to a PS3/PS4 game. I think it's fair to expect all of the dialogue to be delivered with in-engine animated scenes rather than text and character portraits.

I would definitely be disappointed if the presentation doesn't take this step forward for Persona 5.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as there are Japanese console/handheld games with incredibly limited budgets (which is to say, CONSTANTLY), there will be visual-novel-style characters portraits. Because it's like a zillion times cheaper than animating those portraits, or doing full on cutscenes.

And it's a perfectly acceptable stylistic choice as far as Japanese devs are concerned, so they're not just going to stop doing it if they like it.

I should mention I only meant within the Persona series.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless they can come up with some really good looking models and a cool new artstyle, I'd rather the 2d portrait. It never stopped me from attached to the characters

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

They need to go away. They made sense on PS2 with the limited detail and animation potential of the in-game assets, but this is going to a PS3/PS4 game. I think it's fair to expect all of the dialogue to be delivered with in-engine animated scenes rather than text and character portraits.

I would definitely be disappointed if the presentation doesn't take this step forward for Persona 5.

I'd understand if they went with some portrait-style stuff, since the Persona games do have an insane amount of text in them, and they're filled to the brim with random NPCs who only have a couple of lines of dialogue. It'd be fair to expect that all interactions that were between important characters, though, be fully voiced and animated.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is something I've considered in the past and I can't quite say I know how I feel about the idea of losing the character portraits. I think it's something I'll only know when/if I see how they'd execute it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Eh, I care more about the story than the character portrait dialogue boxes. If they've got a new idea on how to portray story bits, I trust P team to do it right.

Is there a particular reason you are worried this is going to happen OP? Didn't the P4 Arena games still use them?

I just assumed P5 would too, the cost benefits are obvious.

Harpell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Harpell

@frostyryan: I like them, and I will be kinda sad if they are gone, but it's not a deal breaker for me. Honestly, with the amount of VO and dialogue this game will undoubtedly have, I will be surprised if they go with the Catherine-style route. Seems like it would make a lot more sense for them to go with the VN style, just cost-wise. Catherine's cut scenes looked really good, but it was a 5-8 hour long story heavy game, not a 50+ hour story heavy JRPG, and judging from the trailer, they are just going with straight up anime for the "big" cut scenes.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FrostyRyan

@slag said:

Is there a particular reason you are worried this is going to happen OP? Didn't the P4 Arena games still use them?

P4Arena uses sprites and classic visual novel presentation with static backgrounds. It's not a mainline game. Persona 5 isn't gonna use character sprites or anything. It's gonna be a full-blown mainline series installment with 3D models.

With all due respect, I don't see how you could use the Arena games as a reference for this. Those spinoffs obviously have their own distinct visual presentation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Justin258

@aetheldod: "But is anyone else worried we're gonna completely get rid of the character portrait dialogue boxes altogether? I'll definitely be sad if that's the case."

I really doubt it. We might see more actual cutscenes and longer ones, but we're talking about a niche game in a series whose latter two entries are 60 hours long when you rush through them, 100+ if you want to do everything, and half of that time is spent looking at a dialog box. I just can't imagine Atlus giving this game the budget required to make everything a cutscene if this game is going to be anything like the third and fourth Persona games.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@slag said:

P4Arena uses sprites and classic visual novel presentation with static backgrounds. It's not a mainline game. Persona 5 isn't gonna use character sprites or anything. It's gonna be a full-blown mainline series installment with 3D models.

With all due respect, I don't see how you could use the Arena games as a reference for this. Those spinoffs obviously have their own distinct visual presentation.

Persona Q is also using 3D models and uses the dialogue box/character portrait style, so I wouldn't expect it to suddenly disappear in P5. With P4D, PQ and P4AU all using that style I wouldn't expect them to change it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

They don't need to go away. So long as they make sense for the manner of the game's presentation, there's no reason to simply ditch them.

And I doubt that Persona 5 will ditch them. They've been a standard part of the Persona presentation since the original Persona.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

I'm well aware they aren't mainline games, but they are part of the franchise and it's reasonable to guess they might try use the general aesthetic between the Persona properties when possible.

Really we have nothing to go on either way.

Catherine is even further removed from the Persona series, so it's just as unlikely if not more than P5 will be stylistically similar to that (although some influences certainly are to be expected). Not to mention the scope and length of Catherine is much much smaller than a typical Persona game. The cost for animating everything in a 50+ hour game has to be quite large.

You also didn't answer my question friend. Why do you think dialogue boxes might be removed in P5 OP?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Corevi
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

They don't need to go away. So long as they make sense for the manner of the game's presentation, there's no reason to simply ditch them.

And I doubt that Persona 5 will ditch them. They've been a standard part of the Persona presentation since the original Persona.

Not just Persona but the SMT series in general has had it since the beginning.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though. Plenty of games evolve and change as standards and technology become better. I think you're both right that there's a great chance Persona 5 continues to tell its story in this manner, but I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the modest explosion in popularity for the series since Persona 4 may afford the development team the resources and budget to go for a more modern and involved presentation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

That doesn't necessarily mean anything though. Plenty of games evolve and change as standards and technology become better. I think you're both right that there's a great chance Persona 5 continues to tell its story in this manner, but I also don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that the modest explosion in popularity for the series since Persona 4 may afford the development team the resources and budget to go for a more modern and involved presentation.

Define "modern". A lot of modern games use Visual Novel-style portrait presentation.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@corevi said:
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

Define "modern". A lot of modern games use Visual Novel-style portrait presentation.

Yeah, you're right, but don't pretend you don't know what I mean. Detailed character models, scripted scenes with high quality animations, lip-syncing, some semblance of cinematography. I'm not saying the game will be bad if they stick to the same style of presentation for the story and dialogue sequences, but I think it would certainly benefit from a more involved presentation.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@corevi said:
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

Yeah, you're right, but don't pretend you don't know what I mean. Detailed character models, scripted scenes with high quality animations, lip-syncing, some semblance of cinematography. I'm not saying the game will be bad if they stick to the same style of presentation for the story and dialogue sequences, but I think it would certainly benefit from a more involved presentation.

That's not modern. Scripted scenes with character model choreography and voice acting have been around since the PS1/N64 era. The quality has improved dramatically since those days, but it's also not some modern innovation.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll said:

@corevi said:
    @hailinel said:
    @ll_exile_ll said:

That's not modern. Scripted scenes with character model choreography and voice acting have been around since the PS1/N64 era. The quality has improved dramatically since those days, but it's also not some modern innovation.

I didn't say any of that was innovative, and obviously I mean all of that with modern fidelity. I don't want to make this a "thing," but I'm fairly certain you know exactly what I mean. I really don't want to get into some internet argument here, especially over something as meaningless as this. Perhaps I misused the word modern, but please stop picking at this one term I used, I don't know what you're trying to achieve and I honestly don't see the point of the argument.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ll_exile_ll: I'm not trying to start an argument. I asked you to define the context of modern, you gave me a definition, and I explained why I don't agree.

My point is that game developers should not feel constrained to use one form of story presentation over another just because they might have the budget for the more elaborate presentation.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I doubt it, if for no other reason than the sheer breadth of content a Persona game has when compared to something like Catherine. Sticking to the status-quo is significantly less resource-intensive and Atlus isn't exactly a big publisher.

jArmAhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jArmAhead

My major issue with that tactic for portraying a story is that it is just there to hide a lack of space for assets, and usually turns into an excuse to not voice every line in the game. If they at least avoid occasionally just not having VO for a line, I'll be okay with it. But personally I never got why people get so attached to that. It's like the people who think Zelda would be ruined if there was voice acting.

VO just means you can have more natural timing for dialogue. I think it'd be cool to have a little portrait pop up, but ditch the card unless people have subtitles on, that way they have to make sure it's all voiced. I just don't think there's any real charm to that practice, and I think the series should move forward.

I don't even need more animation heavy cut scenes (although better animations in general would help). Just don't rely on actual text for dialogue.

@hailinel said:

@ll_exile_ll: I'm not trying to start an argument. I asked you to define the context of modern, you gave me a definition, and I explained why I don't agree.

My point is that game developers should not feel constrained to use one form of story presentation over another just because they might have the budget for the more elaborate presentation.

Nor should they stick to the past just because of nostalgia.

As for it not being a modern thing, it absolutely is. How many games on the SNES had cut scenes that resembled anything like MGS outside of maybe an intro and outro for the story? It took a while for the industry to move on from being entirely portrait and text box based. Some franchises still cling to it, letting that technical limitation drag down improvements to the rest of the process. Skyward Sword, IMO, would have had a much more palatable story for example if I wasn't sitting for 20 minutes every time someone had something to say instead of just listening. It's easier to move things along and keep a natural flow to dialogue when you actually have VO vs text. And when you try to merge both options, you just hold back the VO.

It used to be, voice didn't exist in games. Text boxes was the only thing you could do. As time went on, voice became possible, but animation was still much less viable. Then, with 3D games the ability to animated and shoot from various perspectives gave the option to have more contemporary cut scenes.

Modern doesn't mean the last 5 years. And animated, choreographed, detailed, and unique cut scenes? Those are absolutely modern traits that have not been around since the advent of the feature you're comparing it to. You were picking at nothing because someone has a preference that angled against what you're pretty publicly a fan of. Nothing wrong with preferring the other way but at least allow for a decent conversation to come about from this topic instead of getting stuck in the mud over what "modern" means.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My major issue with that tactic for portraying a story is that it is just there to hide a lack of space for assets, and usually turns into an excuse to not voice every line in the game. If they at least avoid occasionally just not having VO for a line, I'll be okay with it. But personally I never got why people get so attached to that. It's like the people who think Zelda would be ruined if there was voice acting.

VO just means you can have more natural timing for dialogue.

Probably going off topic a bit here, but lack of and inclusion of voice acting isn't always done for any sort of practical sense. It's used as a creative style choice at times. Best example I can think of is SMT: Nocturne. The lack of voice acting in that game really goes well with the mood and I think that was the intention.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I just meant now that they're working with graphics possible on PS3, they obviously can do a lot with character expression and lip syncing via more detailed character models, as I was talking about with Catherine. Those faces are detailed enough to where they could totally do away with character portraits to convey facial expression.

But then again, plenty of PS2 games had detailed enough character models to where they could use expression on the faces to convey emotions. So the character portraits were done for style in P3/P4

BUT THEN AGAIN....I always hear Atlus doesn't always have a huge budget? So maybe that was always the reason for character portraits conveying expression?

I think my brain's all scrambled now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they'll keep the portraits. It's the less expensive alternative, plus its still acceptable to the audience at large. I doubt they'll fix what isn't broken.

Personally I don't mind either way, so long as I can skip through chunks of dialogue without stopping the whole thing. I read through text rather quickly and tend to skip voiced dialogue even in "animated" cutscenes (like in Mass Effect). The only exceptions are when action is going on (as opposed to the characters standing/sitting around and chatting) or when I come across an interesting line of dialogue that I want to hear voiced.

EDIT: Though now that I think on it I remember that Catherine didn't have portraits at all. Even outside of the cutscenes. Now I have no idea what they'll do!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onlykris said:

EDIT: Though now that I think on it I remember that Catherine didn't have portraits at all. Even outside of the cutscenes. Now I have no idea what they'll do!

Keep in mind that Catherine was a much smaller game in terms of the scope of its story. It wasn't a 100 hour RPG.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: I just meant now that they're working with graphics possible on PS3, they obviously can do a lot with character expression and lip syncing via more detailed character models, as I was talking about with Catherine. Those faces are detailed enough to where they could totally do away with character portraits to convey facial expression.

But then again, plenty of PS2 games had detailed enough character models to where they could use expression on the faces to convey emotions. So the character portraits were done for style in P3/P4

BUT THEN AGAIN....I always hear Atlus doesn't always have a huge budget? So maybe that was always the reason for character portraits conveying expression?

Oh, I don't think you have anything to worry about then.

As long as fans are ok with them (and given how many JRPGs still use them I think it's safe to say they are), I think they will keep using Character Portraits. The cost savings are probably just too attractive to pass up for a game that is so long.

I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason to think they'd change now.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm like 80% sure they'll keep the portraits. It's basically tradition now and it's certainly more cost-efficient than having to rely purely on 3D animation.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine either way. Catherine looks fantastic and its scenes were directed magnificently. If Persona 5 had no portraits to opt for that style, I'd be okay with it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think the transition from dialogue boxes to scripted cutscenes is responsible for a lot of the pacing and localization problems that bother me in modern Final Fantasy games, and personally that's not a change I want to see Persona make. When games have dialogue boxes that allows you to move through the dialogue at your own pace, you can dwell on specific lines, and you can move more quickly through expository dialogue or story beats you don't care about. Cutscenes force you to play at the games pace, they also place tighter restrictions on localization, because there's a lot more you have to account for when you have to worry about matching a voice to a mouth and other character movements.

Not only that, but these games are known for their breadth, and I worry that using more expensive and time consuming cutscenes would interfere with the amount of story content they're able to produce. Personally I don't feel it would add enough to the game to make that trade off worth it. I think the ideal situation is that the parts of the main story that need it most would get some cutscenes, with the rest of the game using fully voiced dialogue boxes.

Maybe I'm just weird though, because I really dislike the fact that basically every big video game franchise tries to emulate cinema with its story presentation. So I'm totally okay with games that don't have voice over, and rely more on reading than watching. Those are areas of video game storytelling I want to see explored, and it would be a shame if Persona stopped doing that.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No thanks. I think Catherine did it's exposition really well, but it's also a very short game in the grand scheme. I have never had a problem with reading a lot of text, and I enjoy the art of the VN sprites. Stick to that, it'll allow for a quantitiy that I don't think the team can achieve otherwise.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Jeust

I like the character portraits, and I wouldn't mind if they continued. It gives the game, and Shin Megami Tensei, personality, as there is no other franchise, aside from visual novels, I recall still using it.

xenopst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would fear that if you took the dialogue boxes and visual novel style character portraits out of the game, it would just turn into a Metal Gear game (mostly cutscene, with some gameplay in between). There's also so much dialogue in the Persona games that I also don't think recording VO for all of it would be feasible.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Hunkulese

@jarmahead: Having every line voiced sounds neat but it's a giant waste of money. If you took a poll I'm pretty sure a large majority clicks through dialogue as soon as they're done reading it and don't wait for the voice actor to finish. Reading is fun.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

As far as budget goes, Atlus isn't making this game on a shoestring budget. However, they are still a niche developer. Persona 3 and 4 are very long games and they both rely heavily on dialog and conversations. Think about the kind of budget a game would need to make all of those social links and all of those long story sequences as cutscenes, and think about all the different reactions people can have based on how you answer them. Sure, it's not always that different, but each response would need a different line of dialog and different facial animations and mouth movements. Half of the game is made up of this sort of thing. I seriously doubt that Atlus has that much money to throw into Persona 5 and even if they do, I seriously doubt that it would sell enough copies to justify that kind of budget.

Grand Theft Auto V got away with animating quite literally everything because it sold several times more copies (somewhere in the ballpark of 11 million) in its first day than Persona 5 will sell over its entire lifetime, just to put things into some perspective.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Aegon

I would expect Persona 5 to be closer to Persona Q in representation of characters during dialogue. The character portraits are now animating 3D models.

Making super shiny new next-gen character models and making some portrait style animations for them sounds fine to me.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zeik

@aegon: I've never been a fan of that. If you're going to use 3D models then just use the in-game models. The advantage of the 2D art is that it provides some extra detail and expression where the 3D models might not be able to pull off as well.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@zeik said:

@aegon: I've never been a fan of that. If you're going to use 3D models then just use the in-game models. The advantage of the 2D art is that it provides some extra detail and expression where the 3D models might not be able to pull off as well.

Ahem, you're forgetting about the power of the PS4 (and the cell).

Honestly, I've never liked it that much either, but in Persona Q I prefer it to the Chibi art and I do think if they spend enough time on the character models it can look really good on those consoles.

It would be easier to create a set of reaction animations for a character to use during dialogue rather than animate every scene.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the portaits but when the Atelier series made the step from portaits to 3D models I liked that even more. Good 3D models look better and can show more emotion.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

eh, could go either way,

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Crommi

I'm ok with the portraits, I doubt they are going to have VO for every single line of dialogue (random characters) and in that case I'd much rather just have the textbox than watch a mute person mime and wave his hands while text scrolls down at the bottom.

If they did have VO for all dialogue, it would be very expensive if the game has same amount of conversations as previous games and they would have to trim it down. For worst case scenario, look at Skyrim where you have world populated with people speaking in same voice and only able to deliver repetitive one-liners. Mass Effect does the VO really well but even there you can see how the locations are filled with people but you cannot actually speak with most of them, unlike in JRPGs where every single character has at least something to say.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god the necro post.

Shouldn't matter really if there's VN style portraits and dialogue for unimportant parts. It's a staple of the series so far, and Persona has always borrowed a lot from VN's anyway.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ditch 'em, I don't care. I enjoyed Catherine's presentation and character expressions just fine without them, and I could see Persona 5 working just as well, based on the trailer.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After seeing that trailer, I'd be totally cool with a Catherine-esque presentation on cutscenes/dialogue.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

While I like them, they seem like a concession to hardware limitations. P3 and 4 would have been worse for their exclusion, but I think they can definitely get away with it in P5. Also gives the director and cinematographer a little more room to shrine.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It just doesn't seem feasible to direct all the dialogue scenes in a game the size of Persona. That doesn't mean you need portraits, etc, but there's no way on earth every dialogue scene will be "handcrafted" like Catherine. It's highly unlikely they all have VO, so they need some kind of consistent visual display other than just subtitles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.