Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

I noticed an odd drink name...

the_kempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So I was buying all the drinks from the vending machines for the achievement, when I noticed a drink called oh shiruko. I thought that sounded familiar and then remembered aum shinrikyo.

If you don't know who they are, they were the Japanese cult responsible for the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack in the 1990s.

I'm not sure what the name of the drink is in the Japanese version, but I thought it was weird to make a pun on the worst terrorist attack in Japan in recent history.

I googled "persona 5 oh shiruko aum shinrikyo" and found nothing, and just felt I had to say it somewhere.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You might be reaching with that connection, but it's not unusual for Japanese games to mock those kinds of extremist cults. Yakuza 0 has a whole side quest around one.

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think its a pun. I think they are just two vaguely similar sounding Japanese word pairings. Shiruko is a Japanese dessert.

the_kempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_kempire

All the other drink names are really punny (second maid for minute maid, 1up for 7up, etc.), so I guess I was looking for wordplay.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

All the other drink names are really punny (second maid for minute maid, 1up for 7up, etc.), so I guess I was looking for wordplay.

My first thought was the store from P4, but that's Shiroku (not shiruko).

I suspect it's actually a play on shiruko, a type of azuki bean soup. In it's honorific form, you get oshiruko -> Oh! Shiruko!.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

That's a hell of a stretch. I had to look back and forth from the words to see how they were similar.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

it's just sweet red bean drink... pretty common in japan

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People literally looking for something to be offended by... That never happens.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Dray2k

@maginnovision: Hahaha no.

Its Frequency Illusion + Deja Vu. Thats all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.