Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Let's think on New Combat Aesthetics. Yay!

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Zripwud

Man... I don't want to start dreaming of stuff for a game that's not coming out until two or three years but... fuck my shit, I CAN'T STOP THINKING ABOUT HOW AWESOME IT COULD BE.

Last two Personas and I think we can all agree are awesome. The effects and animations are pretty good for a PS2 game, but Persona 5 will be current gen, and with that there's a lot of power. Do you think the style will be the same, or will they use a new system, for the cameras and attacks. A lot more dynamic and awesome looking. Turn based combat not only makes for a more tactical combat, but it also gives you the oportunity to have total control of how it looks, because you're not controlling the characters directly, so I think if they wanted to, they could some pretty awesome stuff with how the combat looks. Not change the mechanics, they're almost perfect, but make the combat look more dynamic, add stuff to what we are seeing on screen. What could they do to make it even more awesome with the new engine? Maybe take some cues from The Animation?

This all started 'cause I watched a Chie run all the way to a Shadow, ignoring and evading other Shadows like they were just transit cones, just to give it a little kick, and then came back running to her original position. That's the only thing that looks a little lame.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pyrodactyl

the thing that scares me is that they have to generate at least 50 hours of great gameplay in current gen graphics.

If they try to hard to make it look good we'll end up with a worse FF13 since atlus is not a large studio.

A great and LONG persona experience in current gen graphics will be enough for me if they can get that right I'll be happy.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zripwud

I think the fact that is not a large studio is a pro. That's the only way they could've done an experiment as awesome as Catherine in so little time and it went great. They have the power to make it look good, Catherine looked awesome, and the studio is small so the message of the leads, like Hashino, will be received crystal clear. The only con is that it may take some time 'cause the team working on it must be small.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fuck. I thought this thread was going to show a new battle aesthetic that the team has been working on.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Animasta

great now I'm imagining resonance of fate persona 5

I want this game so badly.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By AndrewB

It'll be brown with excessive use of high dynamic range lighting.

I'd seriously like to see a noir-ish aesthetic and tone.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By irrelevantjohn

Did they announce who the special collab is for Persona 5? I hope it isn't anyone from Square Enix.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zripwud

@Video_Game_King said:

Fuck. I thought this thread was going to show a new battle aesthetic that the team has been working on.

I'm sorry! Is there a way to change the title?

@Animasta said:

great now I'm imagining resonance of fate persona 5

That'd be sick! Resonance of Fate had a great combat, but it also looked awesome!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @pyrodactyl said:

the thing that scares me is that they have to generate at least 50 hours of great gameplay in current gen graphics.

If they try to hard to make it look good we'll end up with a worse FF13 since atlus is not a large studio.

A great and LONG persona experience in current gen graphics will be enough for me if they can get that right I'll be happy.

There's really not that much to create if Persona 5 is like 3 and 4, where every dungeon is hours of trudging through identical corridors arranged in different labyrinthine patterns and the non-dungeon content is all set in like a half-dozen small locations.
    biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By biospank

@pyrodactyl: But there is not really allot of so-called content as I would call it. Or there are not allot of levels within the city and then the demon world(not sure what to call it). Before you ask yes I have played persona 3 and 4. I can see it easily made with not too many problems. But it depends over how much detail they want to bring in the persona 5 levels.

I am more concerned about that then really it being crap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'd rather have good than long. Persona 4 did not need to be 100 hours for me to be pleased with it. Tell that story in half that amount of time, with twice as much polish.

It's like Call of Duty is too far on one side, every moment is packed with custom stuff, but at some point I'd like it to stretch out and give me a little bit more neutral time. And then stuff like Skyrim or Persona lasts forever, but most of the time it's kind of low-grade content and the really great stuff only happens once every hour or so.

Hrm, what do you do with traditional line-up JRPG turn-based stuff. I actually like turn based games a lot, but I kind of feel like grid-based tactics stuff is kind of played out by now. I don't know, I don't necessarily make the move to real time, because I don't like how most real-time RPGs play. If you're going to make it real time, just make it an action game with RPG numbers shooting out of dudes (like Borderlands or Dragon Age), if you're goin to favor the RPG stuff, keep it turn based.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Icemael: @biospank:

you didn't think about the 100 different persona models and their unique animations? Same for the shadows. Tons of NPCs, real world environments and all in high def. You can look at Catherine and say ''they just have to do that'' but the scope of that game (1 small location, limited number of characters, super simple ''dungeon'') was tiny compare to what a persona game should be.

I'm just worried they're going to realize they can't generate as much asset as in the PS2 days and cut down the scope of the experience significatively.

DonutFever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#13  Edited By DonutFever

Maybe some cooler Persona animations, but I'm not expecting to many changes. 

I just hope the game has the style of Catherine.

biospank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By biospank

@pyrodactyl: That is obviously a problem too but again they don't need to put allot of detail into the persona characters then it gets more easily produced by a smaller team. Its more about the detail in levels and characters, I am concerned about then high count animation detail. Because they are trying to rip off Anime rather then real world which is a good thing. That means they really don't need much animation to satisfy the brain to believe that this is the right/real thing,ect.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By kerse

Considering how great Catherine looked, I don't think we have to worry. I just hope they keep up with the great story writing.

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By Rxanadu

I actually like the way combat was implemented in The Animation a bit more than the traditional RPG mechanics. The Animation constantly made me think of a more strategically-oriented Folklore combat system, where you could assign the different special abilities a Persona could use to the face buttons while setting up party member tactics with the D-Pad.

I just hope it doesn't be come as mundane as the fighting in the Devil Summoner series or as combo-heavy as the Tales series.

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the combat mechanics should stay pretty much the same. There's no need to change the core. That would really put me off.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

@zripwud: There's nothing wrong with the mechanics, per se, but they really need to work on the aesthetics of the combat areas to make them less transparently grindy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.