Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

new Persona details?

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By mutha3

Apparently there was another interview in Dengeki magazine

Initially, Atlus had considered making the MC’s personality a little more optimistic this time but considering the way the story develops, they thought a dark and introverted personality would be more appropriate. Thus, they’re letting his hair hide one of his eyes and he will be slightly slouched.

Aegis will be also appear as one of the characters and will also be the MC’s closest friend. She comes from before Persona 3: FES so you probably won’t be able to find more story taking place after “The Answer”.

Source:http://lhyeung.net/lang/en-uk/2010/04/30/atlus-teases-with-more-persona-5-details/comment-page-1/#comment-28363  

I hope this is a case of internet trolling or a mistranslation, this sounds terrible. 

Don't let me down Atlus:(

EDIT:

Forum bug lol

Please move this to the Persona 5 board.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Cheers for the post.

I'm rather curious about how far into development they are, particularly with the story considering these very specific design decisions they're deciding to release. I don't want to speculate too much though since I'm still yet to finish P3 and I'm not entirely sure of the role Aegis plays in the answer. So I'll wait a little longer for a proper reveal I suppose.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mutha3

@Kowbrainz said:

" Cheers for the post.  I'm rather curious about how far into development they are, particularly with the story considering these very specific design decisions they're deciding to release.

I'm holding out for the theory that they are talking about P3's development cycle and this being a mistake. I mean....dude, seriously?:(

EDIT:

@Ivos said:
    " Sounds like they are describing the MC from P3 rather than a new one. Just hope it isn't P3-2. "

This is the reason it sounds really bad to me.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

Very interesting.  I'm a bit confused if this story takes place before or after the events of Persona 3, but I guess eventually we'll find out.  I am still hoping that it takes place after P4.  Unless I missed something Aegis is still a robot and therefore doesn't age.  She could still be living life as a human student.  The news piece seemed to suggest that she takes a major role in the story and is not just a cameo character.

Another thing which disappoints me (I admit we are working of nothing but rumors) is that the hero's sex might be limited to just male again.  I was hoping they'd take the P3P idea and apply it to the next game as well.  And, is being introverted really new since that's how the protagonist was in P3.  He was much more social in P4, but I didn't find him so outgoing early in P3.  Also, he too had hair over one eye. 

Anyway, any news is good news on this subject and I eagerly await more.  Thanks for the heads up.

TheChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By TheChaos

I wouldn't mind a Persona 2 remake. Both of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b6c667dde711
    deactivated-5b6c667dde711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@mutha3: yeah, it sounded a lot like that to me too so I'd sort of like to wait for a proper translation of the interview for that... hoping someone with a little knowledge of Japanese hasn't just gone through the article looking for words they knew and thus misinterpreted it or something. :/
    endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endaround

Aigis before P3?  That makes no sense.  She's been in a lab since, well those who've played P3 know and P3 follows the typical make an android human story arc for her.  Unless the androids used dead humans in creation but that still puts us in a strange place in the Persona timeline.  Possibly before even the first Persona.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Jeust
    @Ivos said:
    " Sounds like they are describing the MC from P3 rather than a new one. Just hope it isn't P3-2. "
    The Shadows Strikeback. :p
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Semition

It sounds exactly like the MC in Persona 3.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By shirogane

This just sounds like P3. Hopefully not, cause i really couldn't stand 3.
    L33tfella_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By L33tfella_H

yea, sounds like Persona 3 to me, in that the character doesn't exactly have the best history, and i'm pretty sure his hair covers one of his eyes most of the time.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Capum15

Personally, I think the "hair covering one eye" thing is overdone/cliché.

Lawrens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Lawrens

dark and introverted personality, hair covering one eye?

Day 1!

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mutha3

@Lawrens said:

" dark and introverted personality, hair covering one eye?
    No Caption Provided

Day 1!

"

C'mon dude, you know if they were talking about Duval, Aegis would be more then a ''friend''

We're likely getting another Emo Shit :(
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @PenguinDust said:

" Another thing which disappoints me (I admit we are working of nothing but rumors) is that the hero's sex might be limited to just male again.  I was hoping they'd take the P3P idea and apply it to the next game as well.  And, is being introverted really new since that's how the protagonist was in P3. "

I'll be glad if that's the case because I'm a sexist bastard.

No, seriously, it's because I think that it would be better for them to concentrate on dialogue and story with only 1 possible character gender.  I wouldn't care if it's exclusively female or male, I just want it to be one or the other.  With P3P, they could do that because they already had the original Persona 3 made, so they could only concentrate on making the female version of the story instead on trying to make both.  I'm also not a big fan of "alternate" story lines.  I'd much rather it be, for canon or whatever, that there's only one main character for this story.  If they actually had 2 characters to choose from (male, female) I would want both of them to experience drastically different stories that have nothing to do with eachother, so they could both take place in the same Universe at the same time.

Anyways, I kind of cringed at the idea of this perhaps being a prequel.  I like the info of the character being introverted as that matches my personality, and that's also why I kind of preferred the P3 MC to P4's.  But Aigis being in there does not fill me with joy, especially given the fact that she's supposed to be Aigis pre-Persona 3 FES?  Like endaround said, that makes no sense unless Aigis was a "real girl" before she got robotized.  Maybe the distinction between Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES is important here...  They mention "The Answer", so maybe it means that it'll take place before "The Answer", but after "The Journey"...?  Or perhaps during "The Journey"?

I don't have much of a problem with the main character's description.  It might even be interesting if his "darker" personality flows into his interactions and makes him less approachable.  The main characters of Persona 3 and Persona 4 could easily make almost anybody their friend or their girlfriend.  I think it would be very interesting to see what happens when the main character isn't that socially proficient.

Reading the update right now:  

Looks like this is just about P3/P3P during development as “Duckroll” over at Neogaf says… Sorry about the stir-up for nothing. Think my site will end up on the gamer’s blacklist for news after this (— — ;

Wow.  Wonderful.  Well, that was useless.  I know Eirikr would have raged if this was true, though! :P
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mutha3

@FluxWaveZ: My problem with the P3MC was, that despite the fact that he ACTED introvert, like most anime, the world REACTED completly the opposite of how they really would. 

when Junpei introduced himself to the MC by saying  he knew how it felt to be'' the new kid'' and was greeted with a ''what do you want'',he just shrugged it off and continued to talk with him normally.I assure you, if that conversation had taken place in the real world, that conversation would have ended there.

Also: 

No, seriously, it's because I think that it would be better for them to concentrate on dialogue and story with only 1 possible character gender.  I wouldn't care if it's exclusively female or male, I just want it to be one or the other.  

I agree with this. 

Actually I'd take it a step further: I'd love it if the next Persona had a non-silent protagonist.

@Ivos said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

Reading the update right now:  

Looks like this is just about P3/P3P during development as “Duckroll” over at Neogaf says… Sorry about the stir-up for nothing. Think my site will end up on the gamer’s blacklist for news after this (— — ;

Wow.  Wonderful.  Well, that was useless.  I know Eirikr would have raged if this was true, though! :P "
    That was what I was suspecting and hoping it was. Sounded way too similar to really be anything else. "

*wipes sweat of brow* whew, thank god.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Yeah, but now we still don't have any information about Persona 5 at all! >:(

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @mutha3 said:
    "  My problem with the P3MC was, that despite the fact that he ACTED introvert, like most anime, the world REACTED completly the opposite of how they really would. 

when Junpei introduced himself to the MC by saying  he knew how it felt to be'' the new kid'' and was greeted with a ''what do you want'',he just shrugged it off and continued to talk with him normally.I assure you, if that conversation had taken place in the real world, that conversation would have ended there.
    Totally.  There was constant mention of this "aura" that both protagonists had that attracted people and made people trust them, but it doesn't make any sense sometimes.

@mutha3 said:
    " Actually I'd take it a step further: I'd love it if the next Persona had a non-silent protagonist.
    Hm, not sure if I agree with that, though.  I guess I wouldn't have any problem with it, but I'd still want the multiple choices in dialog and other things to be present.  I still want some of the player's personality being present in the main character.
    LilPimpT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LilPimpT

Just cause i gotta ask, Ya'll think this is gonna be on PS2 or PS3? And do ya think it'll be an exclusive? o_o I really am hoping it's on PS2 still..Cause then they gotta worry about porting to a crappy console, worry about trophies, which would make people buy it for that more than an "oh shit, persona!"..If it's on the xbox i'd be mildly less annoyed, mostly because of the install-to-HD feature (I don't care what ya'll noobs say, 2 seconds off -every- load time DOES add up.)..but then the classic PS controller feel would be gone..I really never cared about the graphics of the persona series, it was always about the phenominal music and the great storyline, for me..but i mean, if they put too much on their plate, they might end up bruising what would have been a gem of a game, you know? o_o But, then again, i guess they have to move on eventually..o_o

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@mutha3 said:

" Actually I'd take it a step further: I'd love it if the next Persona had a non-silent protagonist.

Hm, not sure if I agree with that, though.  I guess I wouldn't have any problem with it, but I'd still want the multiple choices in dialog and other things to be present.  I still want some of the player's personality being present in the main character. "
    In my fantasy view of a non-silent protgonist dialogue choices are still present!

My biggest issue with the silent protagonist, though(disregarding the awkward animated cutscenes) is the social links. without anyone to respond back to what the characters are saying,  instead of a natural conversation between 2 people, all social links inevitably turn into the MC being silent and everyone(very) unrealistically expositing  their backstory and feelings.

A natural conversation:

MC: Hey Chie, what are you doing ?
    Chie:eating steaks, duh!
    MC: Huh...? but its 10:00 AM !
    Chie: I-i-i guess? I'm in my puberty, I need to eat to grow, ya know?
    MC: I thought you said you went on a diet? didn't your ''Sensei'' tell you to lose some pounds for the big competition?
    Chie: Are you insinuating that I'm fat? GALATIC PUNT !

Okay maybe not fully natural, but you get the picture! Here's how it goes in Persona:

MC:......
    Chie: I'm eating a lot of steaks, huh? I know its 10:00 AM , but I'm in my puberty and I need to grow, ya know?. 
    MC:...
    >Chie sighed
    ChieI know my kungfu teacher told me to slim down before the big competition in 5 months from now and I was supposed to go on a diet...Why are you looking at me like that? are you insinuating that I'm fat? GALATIC PUNT

I just feel it really hurts these things and a voiced protagonist with a backstory and a personality would help a long way in making these interactions more natural.

Yeah, but now we still don't have any information about Persona 5 at all! >:( 

Don't remind me :'(

@LilPimpT: Its not going to be on the PS2 seeing how that is a dead console and retailers don't leave store shelves for it.
    obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By obcdexter

Considering that I absolutely loved P3 and P4 I hope they don't change too much stuff. The dungeons sure could use some redesigning and such, but character- and story-wise those two were some fine JRPGs fo' sho'.

Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By Catolf

i Heard a rumor not long ago is that it's going to be around P3 in a sense in a quest to save the origional MC from his fate, which I'd LOVE.. the end of p3 makes me sad (and kinda don't wanna beat it cause of the sadz)

metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#26  Edited By metalsnakezero

Looks like the info wasn't right and I wouldn't think atlus would plan to do this. The Persona series had allows change things up after every game so making a P3 MC like character would be a step backwards. I wouldn't mind a Aegis cameo just to make a connection with the other games just not make her get too involve with the New Persona storyline. 

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By Belonpopo

Emo shit, I loved the characters is P4. They were the best, dont change it please.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By animateria
    @Belonpopo said:
    " Emo shit, I loved the characters is P4. They were the best, dont change it please. "
    What? P4 was all Emo... Aside from Chie.

Everyone was down and depressed whenever you social link with em. 

Anyways, it's probably going to happen in high school AGAIN. I really wouldn't mind a college life Persona, I'm so over high school.

I don't mind P3 tie ins either. P4 already happened after the P3 incident, hence Margaret looking for her sister Elisabeth. And they go to the P3 school on that one trip.

P3 seems like the central game of the newer Personas, since the main character sacrifices himself to save the world. P4's events are very local and small compared to P3.
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By Belonpopo
    @animateria:  Ummmm.......no.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30  Edited By Evilsbane
    @FluxWaveZ: Completely agree with the alternate characters, on some games its just a skin so it doesn't matter but in games like this I find it a lot nicer to just have one MC plus I think it gives the game more recognition because THAT is the P4 dude and that is it.
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#31  Edited By Catolf
    @Belonpopo said:

" @animateria:  Ummmm.......no. "

Yeah, it was pretty Emo, they just gave you more nugget's of silly than P3 did, but it's still pretty damn down in the dumps.

@animateria said:
    "I really wouldn't mind a college life Persona, I'm so over high school.  I don't mind P3 tie ins either. P4 already happened after the P3 incident, hence Margaret looking for her sister Elisabeth. And they go to the P3 school on that one trip.  P3 seems like the central game of the newer Personas, since the main character sacrifices himself to save the world. P4's events are very local and small compared to P3. "
    I wouldn't mind a College life version myself, that does sound like a lot of fun, maybe an older guy protagonist with like a beard or something, unno, but I'd like him to look older though. That would be awesome.

P3 cameo's and P4 cameo's would be essential to it all. Maybe a College that is stationed in the middle of both places that the Main p3 and P4 took place? 
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Dany

The P4 Endurance Run has SOLIDIFIED my plan to purchase a new persona game on DAY 1. I never heard of the series before them and now any new Persona games, im getting!

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Junpei

sounds very redundant and I am an Atlus fanboy through and through. I really hope that the new popularity of the franchise doesn't make Atlus overproduce these games too fast (which is why P3P makes me scream and die a little inside). Personally I want nothing more than a new main line SMT game (Strange Journey was good, but give me the long rumored PS3 Shin Megami Tensei already!!!)

edit: Sorry, didn't realize that it was much a do about nothing but my feelings stand unchanged

LilPimpT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LilPimpT

Junpei, while P3P may seem like it's not worth making, P3 was a great game. DX It had some issues, however. Issues such as your allies deciding to go for the last hit on a boss when you have less than 20 HP and missing, verses healing you and you finishing said boss off..Unless i was the only one who experienced that. T.T Not to mention, now you can take the persona-ey goodness on your trips to your grandmothers house. Sure, some things are dumbed down, like it's not going to be free-roam, but, now you can't become god at the start of the game merely by farming til you're drop dead out of health, going to the bottom of Tartarus, healing, and repeating. They turned it into a sort of P4 thing where you must pay, so, if they do it correctly, there might actually be a REASON to leave. So your allies get tired. If anyone here knows how to play Persona, they obviously know that by the time they get "tired", you can kill stuff solo. Now, the second protagonist might be a  bit..funky, but they had to add something to the game, aside the technical stuff, to make it seem like it's a newish game. But, i mean, I'm definitely going to buy it. It sounds like they fixed all the things wrong with P3. You can actually PLAY your characters, you CAN'T farm forever anymore. Not to mention, heck, now it's portable! No more lugging around your PS2 to show people your awesome file (though, that might just be me..i'm a slight masochist and like to make my chars uber in games i love o_o)

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mutha3
    @animateria said:

" @Belonpopo said:

" Emo shit, I loved the characters is P4. They were the best, dont change it please. "

What? P4 was all Emo... Aside from Chie. "

Everyone was down and depressed whenever you social link with em.  
    For the most part(IE everyone except Drama and Nurse), the characters acted a lot less melodramatic/silly then the P3 cast. Sure, you had the occasional ''WRYYY!?'' moment. But the characters behaved more like real people  and had more relate able problems unlike the animelike P3 dudes.

Emo=Melodrama, not depressing topics.

Like that cutscene where Yukari finds out how here dad died...so......so.....corny. The Sun social link  in P3 on the other hand, despite being far more depressing and serious, wasn't half as whiny, corny or emo

All the characters in Persona 3 being ''tragic orphans'' certainly didn't help its case.....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.