Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Persona 5 E3 Live Stream [UPDATE: Stream over. Gameplay & Cooperation Details. Future July 19 event.]

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By clagnaught

UPDATE 2: Stream over. Sadly there wasn't a ton of new details, but here is what they showed:

• There will be another event on July 19. Word from the Twitch chat was the game will be playable in some form (most likely a demo at the special event in Japan)
    • They featured the final party member a little bit, the previously unnamed brown haired guy in a suit. Word on the street is / According to people who can speak Japanese is his name is Goro Aikichi. He was on a talk show like panel talking about the game. (I don't speak Japanese, so I'm not sure what was said in general outside of people in the Twitch chat mentioning stuff) I'm not sure if his background is he is an actual host of a talk show or if he was a guest.
    • They showed the gameplay footage that was making the rounds last night: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqcl-GRkVVU Highlights from the footage include:
      • You can talk to Shadows like you could in previous Shin Megami Tensei games (including the early Persona games). It looks like you can have a conversation with them and capture that Shadow.
      • They showed some of the side jobs you can have and a few miscellaneous activities you can do around Tokyo.
      • One of the activities they had was you could do pull ups, which can increase your max HP.
    • There is a brief trailer for three of the game's NPCs, including Iwai and Tae, who appeared previously in other trailers. The third is your father type figure who you are staying with, Sojiro. Looks like the first floor is the bar/restaurant featured in an earlier trailer, while the upstairs is your bedroom. Based on the number of silhouettes, it looks like with future events and videos they will continue to reveal additional NPCs leading up to the release.
      • These characters seem to be part of the new Cooperations mechanic in Persona 5. It sounds similar to Social Links, but seems more like a separate thing to help augment your abilities in battle. Right now there are 22 Cooperation silhouettes on the Persona 5 site, so this may actually be a replacement for "Social Links". If there are SLs and Cooperations, there's going to be a ton of people in this game! Here's a program translation of the text they have on their website:
        • Protagonists encounter in school or on the street people in various skills and People with the skills we have. Their interests and match Build a trust relationship, the cooperation "Coop" ensue! If the bond with "co-op" outcomes in their ability more advantageously The thief life and relaxing it. And people on the street to engage, grow closer to encouraging co-workers to get.

• Throughout the event they played some random new music, which continues to be great. A lot of this was featured in gameplay footage, so I'm not sure if there will be good rips of that anytime soon.
    • The Japanese Persona 5 website seems like it was updated and includes a few new pages, for those who want to read / translate some of the random tidbits yourself: http://persona5.jp/

And....That's about it! There really isn't a ton of news. This was also another stream largely in Japanese, so a lot of the finer details went over my head. There wasn't a lot of US/EU specific announcements besides somebody saying "Hey, we are at E3!!" It felt like a good time to announce the US release date, but they did that last week, so there wasn't anything newsworthy. (Unfortunately, no news for people outside of Japan or the US about when you can play this game)

ORIGINAL POST:

The Road to Persona 5 continues on with a stream happening today! Who is ready to steal some...good news...Um...who cat..n't wait for........

Sorry. Here are the details:

• Stream is scheduled to start today at 21:00 JST (which is in about 20 minutes from now!!) There may be some pre-show like last time, but that's the estimated start time for the stream itself.
    • Here is Persona 5's E3 site: http://persona5.jp/e3/ Currently there is nothing there, but during the May 5th stream, they had a Nico Nico feed of the event. Here is the direct Nico Nico page: http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv264959130
    • If you don't have a Nico Nico account, it looks like there are at least a couple of people planning to stream the event through Twitch. Here is one stream I found, which is how I watched the previous May 5th stream: https://www.twitch.tv/wounlive

Get psyched!

UPDATE 1: The stream has started! We are back in The Velvet Room again.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My eyes. MY EYES!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OurSin_360

i have no idea whats going on but the game looks good and those two people at bottom talking look cool.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far they showed the final party member (brown haired guy in suit) and showed the Persona 5 gameplay footage that was posted online yesterday by IGN and other websites. Even gameplay wise, this game looks awesome. Apparently there are activities like doing pull ups that increase your max health (at least that's what I saw in the Twitch chat). Probably the biggest thing gameplay wise is seeing the menus and how everything seems to be mapped to face buttons instead of having a long circling menu like P3 and P4 and talking to shadows to capture their Personas, similar to previous mechanics in Shin Megami Tensei and the earlier Persona games.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By dietmango

That doctor character.

Me like.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp. That's all folks. This stream was not nearly as exciting as the previous May 5th stream. If you missed it, I posted some details in my original post, but there's not that much to say besides "They showed some gameplay and featured a couple of characters they haven't talked about before"

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn still no UK/EU date announced :(

Might just have to import a US copy. I really want to play this game!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That doctor character.

Me like.

Would you care to social her link?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

They've been stringing this out for....4 years? Why not a little more

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

@aegon said:
    @dietmango said:

That doctor character.

Me like.

Would you care to social her link?

I'd social ALL of it. I'd kick a tank for her, too.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@clagnaught: Yeah, this seems like a good meld of mechanics from the older Persona games and the more recent. I'm really happy negotiating is back, I think that was the biggest thing for me that I liked from the other SMT games that Persona 3 and 4 was lacking. I'm ready to have demons steal all my macca yen again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.