Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Persona 5 Ultimate Edition: Worth the extra bucks?

Knurrunkulus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hi there,

I'm not terribly invested in the Persona universe. I only played a bit of Persona 4 and that's it, but I like the art style of Persona 5 and would like to play it. Right now it's on sale for 34,99 € here in Europe, and for 49,99 € they're also offering the Ultimate Edition at a discount. As far as I understand the things that come with the Ultimate Edition are costumes and personas from older games as well as a new difficulty, a healing item set, a skill card set and (strange thing to unlock for money) the japanese voices. If it was extra missions or something like that I would go for the Ultimate Edition, but this seems more like fan service.

So, to those of you who have played it: Am I missing out on anything important/worthwhile if I just grab the Standard Edition?

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By MattGiersoni

Japanese voiceover DLC and the new difficulty are free, I can see why you might think it's paid if it's listed in the whole collection, but it's actually free, just have to search it separately in the store (few other things are also free) Is it worth paying for the ultimate edition? Depends, you're not missing out on anything if you just get the standard one, unless you care about costumes and music from previous games. Frankly I hate using costumes, personas etc. from previous Persona games on characters on P5 because it's just doesn't fit for me personally, but if you're a huge fan of previous games and it appeals to you then get the ultimate edition, that's who that's for. There is no story dlc or anything essential. It's all just cosmetic stuff/fan service even though it's a ton of costumes and such, but it's really not essential at all.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unless you're a really big big uber fan of Persona, I'd just get the standard edition.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it - I don't think it's worth the extra. There's a lot of extra costumes but to be honest the default outfits all look better. A lot of the extra costumes seem to be in reference to other games also.

Plus... The way to activate all the extra items is so irritating.... I'm assuming it's just one big package of individual things you can get through regular DLC, as they were in batches of 3. Notification after notification after notification..

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're not missing out on anything really worthwhile. I bought it simply because I love the game and wanted some extra stuff, but my first playthrough I had none of that stuff.

Some of the outfits are nice but for Joker they also change the battle theme and victory theme as well. The default themes are so damn good that I never wanted to use another outfit. I do use some for the other characters though.

Not used any of the Personas yet but they seem more of a nostalgic "that's from this game, that's cool" rather than something really useful.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

a new difficulty, a healing item set, a skill card set and (strange thing to unlock for money) the japanese voices.

These are all free DLC for the base game (as well as a few of the costume sets); they are just bundled with the Ultimate Edition as well.

So, to those of you who have played it: Am I missing out on anything important/worthwhile if I just grab the Standard Edition?

Not really - it's mostly cosmetic (and unlike the P4G cosmetics not even referenced by the characters in-game IIRC) or battle music changes (tied to Joker's costume). There's a few new Personas added which are nice to have (skill sets are a little different to most of the P5 Personas, and you can summon them for free once which can save money in the early game), but they really aren't needed.

I bought most of them because I enjoyed rolling with Yasoinaba (P4) Ann, Gekkoukan (P3) Makoto, and Teddie!Morgana, and the extra Personas were nice to have (as was varying up the battle music to P4G/P4U's), but if you aren't already invested in Persona/wider SMT, you'll probably not get a great deal out of it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.