Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Screenshots (Playstation share) disabled for most of Persona 5

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By viking_funeral

Apparently Atlus was concerned about people showing too much of the Persona 5 online and preventing people from buying, so they disabled the Playstation 4 share features about 10 minutes into the game. As someone who loves to take screenshots of their playthroughs of various games, for memories and sharing, this hits kind of hard. Now I need to use my phone or find a secondary capture device.

The funny thing is that this hasn't prevented the game from being streamed on Twitch or the like. This feels like throwing up a roadblock that doesn't really achieve the stated goal. It's just disappointing and odd, kind of like when Persona 4 Arena became the only region locked game in PS3 history.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 23

You can't stream the game past the title screen, so yes it is blocked from twitch. Atlus have also said they will go after streamers who are using capture devices which aren't blocked by the PlayStation.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Yeah, what a weird thing - I tried to take something like 10 screenshots so far, both for just some cool visuals and to remember certain things... it's a no-go though. I don't get the motivation behind this decision - looks like they are really weirdly protective about the game. Heck, even the quicklook is not on youtube (Jeff mentioned they are issuing strikes over there for posting gameplay).

I took my background image from the animated intro, fot my PS4 "wallpaper" and that's it.

ExK4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've bought ~$200 worth of Persona titles thanks to video of Persona 4 on the internet. Hell, I bought a Vita pretty much just for P4G. I might be in the minority here but this idea that people are just going to watch a let's play instead of actually buying the game is a pretty ass-backwards one. I have to imagine there are countless people on this site alone who would have no interest in Persona 5 if it wasn't for the Endurance Run of P4.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By notnert427
    @exk4 said:

I have to imagine there are countless people on this site alone who would have no interest in Persona 5 if it wasn't for the Endurance Run of P4.

Agreed. That ER is likely responsible for a substantial amount of the North American interest in the series, so in addition to being generally a bad look, blocking streaming/screenshots is arguably ill-advised from an exposure standpoint as well. Now I can't help but wonder if they're just concerned the latter parts of the game/story are lackluster and they're trying to maximize sales before news of that gets out.

LtTibbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: The game has been out since september in japan, I think word of that would've gotten out by now

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People who only want to watch the gameplay and not buy it, are not going to run out and buy it because there isn't any video. Surely Sony should/could say something to developers about disabling system level features.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

Saw this earlier. I literally only know about Persona because of the P4ER, and after watching the entire game I purchased P3FES, P4, and now P5. It's such an antiquated and ass-backwards decision.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat said:

You can't stream the game past the title screen, so yes it is blocked from twitch. Atlus have also said they will go after streamers who are using capture devices which aren't blocked by the PlayStation.

Persona 5 is currently the 9th most streamed game on Twitch. Even IGN is streaming it on Twitch.

MindBullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This happened with Tales of Berseria, too. While it's not really on the same "tier" as P5, it's also a recent JRPG release. At least in Berseria's case it got a Steam release where I'm guessing its nigh impossible to block recording(at least on the platform side). Is this just going to be the policy going forward for the genre?

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cerberus3dog

It's definitely a controversial thing for streaming story based games. I know there are users on this site who didn't bother buying Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run. I also know there are people (me included) who bought Persona 4 because of the Endurance Run.

There is a part of me that is sympathetic to Atlus for not wanting their game streamed. I mean, I've watched playthroughs of games like Firewatch, Tomb Raider, the Persona 4 spin off games, and others where I didn't buy the game afterwards because I watched it being played. I've taken advantage of the Let's Play trend, got the enjoyment of the dev's work but they didn't receive anything from me. I didn't spread work-of-mouth about their games except maybe commenting on a couple forum threads about it. I can sympathize with a line of thinking that thinks this is wrong.

They needed to make a business decision if the increased exposure results in positive sales. I don't know one way or another that it necessarily does for every game. I can only assume it did for the Persona series because of the rise in popularity Persona 4 received when compared to Persona 3.

EDIT: I wanted to clarify that I disagree with Atlus' decision on screenshots, but I can sympathize with their position on streaming.

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

That's gross. I've only ever seen that feature used to prevent people from recording cut-scenes. That was stupid, but at least I see the intent. It's not like anyone who seriously wants to get video out of their PS4 will be stopped by this.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

I bought P4G because of the Endurance Run. I'd be interested in P5 if they let me see more of what the combat's like.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exk4 said:

I have to imagine there are countless people on this site alone who would have no interest in Persona 5 if it wasn't for the Endurance Run of P4.

Agreed. That ER is likely responsible for a substantial amount of the North American interest in the series, so in addition to being generally a bad look, blocking streaming/screenshots is arguably ill-advised from an exposure standpoint as well. Now I can't help but wonder if they're just concerned the latter parts of the game/story are lackluster and they're trying to maximize sales before news of that gets out.

You are waaaay over estimating the influence of that ER on the success of the series. Within the Giant Bomb community? Perhaps. But across the entirety of the North American fanbase? Uh, no. Also the game has been out for about half a year in Japan and already well regarded before all the reviews praising it came out in the west, so it definitely has nothing to do with quality concern.

That being said, this is a dumb thing to do. I know why they're doing it, given how much the story is a selling point of these games, but it definitely shows a lack of understanding of how streaming/let's plays and their audiences work these days to believe this is any kind of solution. Whatever sales they think they're going to save with these restrictions (which is debatable in and of itself) won't be made up by bad PR as a result. Even when they region locked P4 Arena they had more sound reasoning to do it than this.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just feels like the continuation of old Japanese execs thinking that nothing has changed we CAN defeat the internet we CAN!

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 23

@viking_funeral said:

@alistercat said:

Persona 5 is currently the 9th most streamed game on Twitch. Even IGN is streaming it on Twitch.

It's not that Twitch is banning it, but the PS4 prevents recording. If you have a capture card you can, but Atlus are issuing takedowns to youtube and said they will take action for streamers going beyond the date 7/7. I meant blocked on twitch as in from the console you can't broadcast it.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great because even the screenshot taken when you unlock trophies is blocked so I get reminded each time I get one.

Just a quick Nuh uh buddy no spoilers for you.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: My bad. I misunderstood.

I guess the permanent 'no streaming past 7/7 in game' threat will prevent an Endurance Run. Not that it was likely to happen.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viking_funeral: Well it wouldn't go on youtube but I wonder if they would have such an easy time stepping to a proper outlet for that as opposed to just someones channel.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

Agreed. That ER is likely responsible for a substantial amount of the North American interest in the series, so in addition to being generally a bad look, blocking streaming/screenshots is arguably ill-advised from an exposure standpoint as well.

I suspect that's vastly overestimating the impact of the ER, but it definitely made some difference. Not in North America (UK), but I know I've spent something in the region of £1000 on SMT/Persona despite knowing literally nothing of the series prior to watching the ER (I'm not sure I could have even told you it was a JRPG).

I'm still obviously going to enjoy the game, but being so heavy-handed about this definitely leaves a bad taste about supporting Atlus (my review site is utterly insignificant in terms of scale, but FWIW P5 was going to get the "Featured Review" spot [pinned to homepage indefinitely]. Looks like I might leave Steins;Gate there a bit longer...)

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jibanyan

Though I personally don't care for it too much, the fact that the game's been out for over six and a half months in Japan at this point (and you can most definitely find spoilers pretty easily) makes this decision from Atlus really bizarre. It ends up redirecting a lot of the conversation regarding the game on launch day to something a bunch of people are unhappy about. It really isn't doing them any favors.

I don't know how the Japanese community reacted to it at the time, but I do wonder if the blowback from players outside of Japan will reach Atlus JP and result in any change on the sharing/streaming situation. I super doubt it, but I'm curious if Atlus USA will try and reach out to them after all of the negative feedback on that front.

Stuffy Japanese executives are silly. If anything, Atlus's insistence on telling people not to stream the game/enforcing arbitrary rules on what you can and can't stream will end up getting more people to try and stream it. That's really how it usually goes in situations like this.

Word of mouth was one of the biggest factors in making Persona more popular overseas with Persona 4, so to sort of deny that from happening with Persona 5 makes this all the more baffling.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that explains the lack of endurance run...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

You are waaaay over estimating the influence of that ER on the success of the series. Within the Giant Bomb community? Perhaps. But across the entirety of the North American fanbase? Uh, no. Also the game has been out for about half a year in Japan and already well regarded before all the reviews praising it came out in the west, so it definitely has nothing to do with quality concern.

Glad someone said it.

Still a stupid move by Atlus though...but won't hurt too bad.

Not the end of the world and the restriction won't last forever.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By expensiveham

As a pc gamer its baffling to me that Sony would give developers the power to disable screenshots/recordings, they should have just made it allowed all the time.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FacelessVixen  Online

Not that I support Atlus' decision, but it's nice to go completely blind into a game that's heavily story based with the temptation of screenshots and streams spoiling things be at a minimum.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.