Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Small problem with Japanese Audio....

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not all the incidental dialogue is translated. There are scenes when people are watching a TV broadcast and the TV dialogue is not subtitled. The train announcements as well while not critical would be nice as well.

Love the Japanese voice cast so far (Aoi Yuki, Rina Satou, Ikui Otani, Aki Toyosaki) all people you will recognize if you have watched recent anime!

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, they don't subtitle those parts in the English version either. Granted, the train announcements are spoken in english, but I've had a couple moments where they focus on a tv screen and no idea what is being displayed.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Puchiko

yes... but in the English version the TV dialogue is being spoken in English which makes subtitles not required...

@squidc00kie said:

To be fair, they don't subtitle those parts in the English version either. Granted, the train announcements are spoken in english, but I've had a couple moments where they focus on a tv screen and no idea what is being displayed.

squiDc00kiE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: Oh okay sorry I misread. I thought you were referencing the Japanese text written on some screens they focus on. My bad.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@puchiko said:

Not all the incidental dialogue is translated. There are scenes when people are watching a TV broadcast and the TV dialogue is not subtitled. The train announcements as well while not critical would be nice as well.

Love the Japanese voice cast so far (Aoi Yuki, Rina Satou, Ikui Otani, Aki Toyosaki) all people you will recognize if you have watched recent anime!

That's a shame, but not a deal breaker for me. Really glad they gave the option to play with JP audio! What is this anime you speak of though?

Bajumeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Am I the only one for whom the Japanese audio is bugged?

I started the game up, ready to enjoy my first Persona game with the original audio and was sorely disappointed to discover that it was SO buggy, I had to restart.

Menu sounds not working; music tracks skipping every second; 5-6 different voice tracks playing at the same time when people are talking et. al.

Please tell me I'm not the only one whom this has happened to?

YoshiMcLovin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By YoshiMcLovin

@bajumeru:

No the same has happened to me. Did it fix after you restarted? The Japanese audio was so buggy that I got off the game early because I couldn't enjoy it. :/ I was planning on waiting until tomorrow to get back on and hope they had released a patch for the bug by then.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bajumeru: I assume you're not having this problem anymore, but I think I saw somebody say that it gets bugged out like that due to launching the game, not closing it properly, then downloading the audio pack. Deleting and re-downloading it should fix it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bce12b22bc03
    deactivated-5bce12b22bc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bajumeru:

I had issues with it as well. I got the game a day early, so I put about 4 hours into my save with the English voices. When the Japanese audio was available, I downloaded it and hoped it would change my existing save to Japanese voices, but unfortunately it only worked for brand new save games. Even worse though, was that the Japanese voices in every new game I started were completely bugged - the wrong dialogue was being played at the wrong times, there were people talking over each other, audio delays, etc. When it came to entering the protagonist's name, every time I moved the cursor to another letter, it would play a line of the dialogue instead of making a selection sound. It was completely screwed up.

So, to fix it, I deleted everything (the game itself and all addon data), re-downloaded, re-installed and I haven't had any problems with it after 7 hours of starting a new game. Hopefully the same thing works for you too!

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@puchiko said:

Yep, noticed that too which was a bit of a bummer. The train thing was a little better because it was just announcing stops, and right after the Japanese announcement ended the English one started up with essentially the equivalent of "The next stop is..." TV stuff was a bit more annoying though.

I didn't know much about the Japanese voice cast going in but I was delighted to almost instantly recognize Ryuji as the same voice actor for Light from Death Note, even though I've only watched like 5 episodes of the anime (read the whole manga series multiple times though), who also voiced Ignis from Final Fantasy XV. The other one I recognized as soon as they spoke was Morgana; I could not contain my excitement when THE Tony Tony Chopper started talking to me.

Dinosaurs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I suppose it would be a problem if you don't understand Japanese but that's not the audio tracks fault. Hearing impaired people don't even get the chance.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Puchiko

I guess I am spoiled by watching fansubs that translate everything. Fansubbers even use adobe after effects to make stylized text effects, have proper timing and do karaoke for the intro/outro songs. So yes... it's not the audio track's fault, it's the translation teams fault for doing a half ass job IMO since it was done as an afterthought.

They only included the Japanese audio track after fan outcry of the horrible english dub samples that got out. Why else was it not included on the disc in the first place despite a 4 month release delay. Compare this to the job 8-4 did on Nier Automata and there is a massive quality difference since they were going to include the Japanese track from the start.

@dinosaurs said:

I suppose it would be a problem if you don't understand Japanese but that's not the audio tracks fault. Hearing impaired people don't even get the chance.

Bajumeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@smallerz: Goddammit (T_T) I did think of that, butI was too hyped to want to re-download everything again. I'm 15+ hours in, so restarting isn't really an option for me now. Guess I'll play NG+ with Japanese audio then...

Dinosaurs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dinosaurs

@puchiko: not gonna lie I felt a little shitty playing semantics. But it's a subtitle problem. If you can't speak Japanese it's probably wise not to change the language of an RPG to one you don't understand. Not all subs are bringing the italicized top screen subs for background speech and whatnot. You'll need to know the language to pick up on that stuff.

Often times you might not have a choice in anime. Subs aren't always thorough. Dubs take a long time and can be pretty rough. But this dub might be one of the best I've encountered aside from a few pronunciations being incredibly grating if you know Japanese. I would argue there's no reason to use the JP audio unless you can understand it or you want to spice up your NG+ but the real problem is a laziness in subtitles that affects the hearing impaired more than anyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.