Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Square Enix asks: Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV

• 110 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-613530a4a129c
    deactivated-613530a4a129c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

Poll Square Enix asks: Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XV (1115 votes)

Persona 5 91%
    Final Fantasy XV 9%

In a recent poll on Square Enix's site, they ask users to imagine a scenario where both Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV come out around the same time, and you can only choose one. Which one would you play? Hint: CLEARLY, there's only one right choice here.

• 
    pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I mean, I'm sure I'm gonna buy FF15 because I need to know what is up with that game but c'mon. You're going up against the sequel to one of the best games of all time.

richied0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By richied0

Both, but yeah. If you held a gun to my head and pulled the trigger. A Persona would likely come out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I'm probably going to buy Final Fantasy XV. Don't worry, Square, you'll probably have my money, and I'll more than likely pick up that first episode of Final Fantasy VII, too.

Unless I am rendered completely incapable of playing video games, I am sure as hell going to have a copy of Persona 5 on day one.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not even a question. I've been a casual FF fan for a while, last one I played seriously was XII. Persona changed how I think of good character development. 'Nuff said.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm excited for XV and I expect it to be a great game, but if I had to choose one? Persona 5. All day, everyday.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna play both but I am more excited for persona 5. That demo for FFXV was super interesting but god damn, actually playing it felt super bad and I really hope they have redone controls/responsiveness.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By FacelessVixen

Not that I have a system to play either of those games on. But, eh, P5. Gary Numan and The Wild Bunch doesn't interest me as much as the current gen Persona broswagonist.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

There wasn't the option for both, which I'm most likely going to do. But if I had to choose one it's most likely going to be Persona 5.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Wow, these poll results. Maybe the most lopsided I've ever seen.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might be one of the most one sided polls I have seen. But yeah, Persona 5 all the way.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFXV without question. Persona hasn't been good since 2.

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious how FF15 turns out, but Persona 3 and 4 are the best RPGs I have ever played, where as the past few Final Fantasy games weren't something I was into.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5% of voters aren't real.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Huh. SquareEnix should've done a similar poll: Fallout4 or Tomb Raider 2 ? Because I think the results of that poll would've told them they probably shouldn't have released Tomb Raider on the same day as Fallout 4.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the hell out of that FFXV demo, and I'm gonna get the game day 1, but come on Square. In my mind, Persona 3 and Persona 4 are so far ahead of anything Final Fantasy has done in the recent past in terms of character development, style, narrative, and charm that I don't even consider the two series to be on the same level. Besides that, the settings, combat styles, and Persona's focus on S. Links makes this an apples-to-oranges comparison for me.

That being said, I'm buying both day 1. But if I only had 60 dollars plus tax, I'm not even looking at Final Fantasy. Persona 5 is the sequel to my favorite game of all time and one of the best games ever made. Sorry Square :(

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No bias on this site.

I've never played a Persona game though I own 3: FES, so probably Final Fantasy.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Day one, Persona 5. Down the road when its $20, FFXV.

Also those results are insane on here. Much closer on other sites I've seen this poll.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 5 no doubt. I'd buy both though.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I will play XV day one given what I've seen but I would go Persona 5 over it easily. I really like what I've seen from XV as a very lapsed FF fan. Loved the 4 ER and really enjoyed 3 FES when I played that about a year ago. 5 looks like a great sequel that has its own interesting touches.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both, but persona fucking 5 is in a field of it own. If it comes down to it P5 wins every time

Crommi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For someone who has finished every main-series Final Fantasy starting from FF3, I'm surprised to find out I have no interest whatsoever for FFXV.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

As much as I love FFXIV and adore the dumb premise of XV, I mean Persona is Persona and I can't wait for that game

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will buy FF 15 but I will choose Persona over FF any day. I care about Persona way more than FF.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

P5, duh. Not even a half a hint of a second thought. P5 is my most anticipated game of probably the whole generation thus far, while I'm still incredibly iffy on everything about FFXV.

I do wonder how much of a chance Persona would actually have against FFXV though. This poll does have me a little worried that SE is looking for an excuse to crush their last major JRPG competitor on consoles. Although maybe that's pessimistic. They might just be looking to gauge the interest in their game compared to a competitor that has gotten so much praise in recent years.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I would rather see stylish teenage japanese cat burglars fight monsters, than stylish teenage japanese boybands with swords fight monsters. However... I am a huge fan of the kingdom hearts, and I never forgot that those guys are somewhere behind 15.... makes that a toughy.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GValo

I want to play both but if I had to choose that day, it would be Persona. 13's long tutorials + imo the character designs getting a bit tired make me want to wait on XV.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tried Persona 4 Golden. I never made it half way through it, I don't get it...

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird asking about another companies game. There is no chance FF15 could hit as early as next summer and there are not that many good JRPGs any more, so I imagine the bulk of the audience would buy both.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not sure why there's so much surprise on the poll results, I thought the general consensus is that there hasn't been a good FF in a while and Persona 4 has been strong and is still relevant enough to the point of having a fighting game and a rhythm game spin off amongst other things.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Persona 4 was amazing. Final Fantasy 8 was amazing. So, Persona

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose FFXV simply because I haven't played a Persona game yet (I have P4 on Vita but kinda saving it) and because this FF might be alright.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MezZa

Easy. Persona. I loved Final Fantasy games when I was a kid, but that love has long since diminished with the last few releases. XV looks cool, but the last two main Persona games give me much more confidence in that series over FF.

That being said I'm buying both because why not.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I'm more excited to play Persona 5, but I'm more curious about FF15. Probably P5? Maybe whichever is shorter.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surely this isn't a biased place to ask such a thing. Final Fantasy all the damn way.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real interested in seeing what becomes of FFXV.

But still, as a day one purchase I'm getting Persona 5 first. Unless there are some serious concerns with how FFXV ends up, I'll most likely get that too.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#37  Edited By liquiddragon

I loved P3 like crazy but it completely drained me so I still have to get P4. It's gonna be awhile before I can mentally be ready for P5.

How is the length of P4 compare to P3? It took me 120 hours for a single play-through but by hour 80 I wanted to kill whoever designed the UI. The game so good but it's too much of a commitment and the little issues become major problems when the game is so massive. That's why I've been really hesitant about diving into P4.

On the other hand, I'm ready for another mainline FF.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FInal Fantasy 13 made me lose all hope for final fantasy games, if this was 10 years ago it would be final fantasy without a doubt but those days are over.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even a huge persona fan but after FFXII I feel like I'm done with that franchise

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised by poll the result. Persona have skipped last generation while SE have brought us a main addition in the Final Fantasy franchise (FF13) in three parts (games). That's why most us would prefer to go with P5 as it has been a long time since we have seen a main addition to Persona while we have seen too much of Final Fantasy.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ravelle

Here's an answer for you.

Both .

Because that scenario doesn't exist.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Persona, although I'd rather buy Final Fantasy.

I don't own a PS4 though so it makes it easy decision.

Wonder if Square is considering move the release date of FF to avoid competition? pretty interesting and surprising to see how much respect they must hold for Persona. I didn't think Persona's number came close FF's.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kishinfoulux: My answer would be the same even if Giant Bomb never existed.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait for P5. I haven't liked a core FF game since IX, although I feel like I should revisit XII some day.

So yeah, Persona in a heartbeat.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the Venn Diagram of people who are Persona fans, and people who are Giant Bomb fans, is pretty close to just looking like a single circle.

TehFedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm extremely excited for Persona 5, Persona 3 is one of the best games ever to me and I have zero interest in Final Fantasy XV because I don't like hack and slash.

So Persona 5, no question.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Persona 3 and Persona 4 are both somewhere on my top 10 favorite games.

I wanted to play FFXV maybe around 2006 to 2014. The more they show the game, the smaller and jankier it looks. Hopefully they will polish it up and there's more to the surface. But right now FFXV is kind of turning into a "Nah" for me. You would have thought the development hell would have done that itself, but oh well.

So yeah, Persona 5.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

How is the length of P4 compare to P3? It took me 120 hours for a single play-through but by hour 80 I wanted to kill whoever designed the UI. The game so good but it's too much of a commitment and the little issues become major problems when the game is so massive. That's why I've been really hesitant about diving into P4.

The Endurance Run of P4 had a final game time of 99hrs59mins (+a few hours where progress was lost). My own playthroughs of Persona4 Golden have averaged around 75 hours (played four times - not skipping any story content, true ending every time, and usually playing on Hard). The UI is visually similar but much less annoying than P3 (it's one of the reasons I prefer P3Portable to P3FES - the portable version takes some of the UI improvements from P4 and applies them to P3).

Back on topic, Persona 5 without a doubt. The demo for FFXV was interesting, but very few games can compare to P3 and P4 IMO.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

XV for me. I'm intrigued about P5 but the previous games haven't appealed to me. I'm a long time FF fan despite the unwelcome diversion it took with the XIII series. I wouldn't say I'm super hyped for it but it is a clear preference.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Harder pick than one might think for me, but I go with Persona.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.