Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona 5

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Sep 15, 2016

The sixth main iteration in the long-running Persona series, Persona 5 follows a group of high school students (and a cat) who moonlight as the Phantom Thieves, out to reform society one rotten adult at a time.

Wednesday hype!

• 119 results
    omegacorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By omegacorith

Quick look is coming according to the front page! The crew has been pretty silent on P5. Can't wait to see what they think of it. Most of the coverage out there is heavily edited or overseen by Atlus; I'm eager to see the localization in a more unfiltered way.

Also I think the review embargo goes up then too? Metacritic said something to that effect on twitter. No idea if it is true or not.

Edit: Quick look is entirely the first 90 minutes of the game. They make this pretty clear so I imagine this didn't cause problems for anyone trying to avoid spoilers. I will say though, it is pretty funny. So once you're past that part on Tuesday, I'd recommend giving it a watch.

paperfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, that's the review embargo date, and is probably why they haven't talked about it much.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By flasaltine

Prediction: Right before the QL goes up the name is changed to Endurance Run: Persona 5 - Part 01

omegacorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By omegacorith

@flasaltine: I truly hope you are right. Or at least that they start one soon after.

(Edit: To be clear, only if the GB staff wants to do it. I'd rather not watch an Endurance Run they weren't into doing.)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I have somehow managed to know so little about this game that I'm not sure if I want to watch it until after I've played a few hours.

...I'll probably give in and watch it.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: As much as I'd like that, the quick look pretty much eliminates the (already next to 0) possibility. They would never do an Endurance Run before a game was officially released.

noval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine:

I mean we can dream of course but east has too much on their plate already and who'd even be interested in doing it on the west coast? Jeff has said before he's more of a Persona 4 fan than straight Persona fan and I don't recall Brad ever getting into it either? I guess maybe Jason would be up for it? Hope never dies but I just don't see it happening.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's this trifecta of Zelda, Nier, and Persona that will make 2017 the year of Japanese RPGs.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made it this far only catching the trailers. I can do one more week without hearing anything about the premise or story. I only have a vague sense of what is going on in this game and it feels refreshing. Hopefully they don't talk about it on the bombcast.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I have somehow managed to know so little about this game that I'm not sure if I want to watch it until after I've played a few hours.

...I'll probably give in and watch it.

I'm in the same boat. I watched that first reveal trailer and I think saw some screenshots but that's about it. I couldn't tell you a damn thing about anything that has to do with this game except for vague recollections of how the main cast looks. It's been a while since I've approached a game like this and it's pretty exciting.

But goddamn I wanna see that quick look so bad.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I'm waiting to play it before seeing anything.

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure which coast is doing the Quick Look (I assume West, since Jeff's apparently had the game since February), but I do remember Alex talking about having pre-ordered the game a while back on the Beastcast, so I'd love to see some East coast coverage/discussion of the game as well if the Quick Look's all we get from the West.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By MezZa

This is the kind of game that I'd love to watch her the quicklook for, but I'm not going to. I've only seen the first trailer, and I plan on keeping myself completely in the dark for when I start playing next week. Maybe in a couple weeks I'll come back and watch their impressions.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zeik

@jibanyan: I doubt we'll get anything more than Beastcast discussion from the east coast. Unless they do a one-off playdate I guess, like they did with The Witcher 3 and such.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Dan_CiTi

I am going to watch it of course, after I play at least like 10 hours of the game. Hopefully some people on the staff do playdates/VG afternoons with the game. I hope it catches on with more than just Jeff/Vinny too.

Kind of tempted to watch a lot of the P4 ER right now...

Jibanyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Ultimately, as is the case with any kind of coverage on the site, the extensiveness of coverage will come down to how genuinely interested any of them are in actually playing it past the introductory segments (which, for these games, is about 6-7 hours). Guess we'll have to wait and see!

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck man, I'm nowhere near done with Zelda, I guess I'm just never going to be productive again ever :/

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Exciting!

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flasaltine: P5 ER will probably won't happen. But a Vinny/Jeff QL of this will be a nice throwback.

They already did east/west QL's before so it can be done.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope the quick look i just the title screen and then Jeff says "yep that's a game"

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crono11 said:

I hope the quick look i just the title screen and then Jeff says "yep that's a game"

Like Jeff is gonna be in the quick look.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Man I dunno if I'm going to watch this or not. I've mostly stayed away from coverage of it, with little bits here and there, but I really wanna hear the guys talk about it especially if it's the east coast.

Also, I really wanna finish up MGS5 before this comes out and I might not unless I really buckle down with it.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This better be a West/East QL, or else...

...I'll be disappointed.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna be too busy to watch it, which is probably a good thing since I'd like to go in blind when I get around to playing this.

Weird, I thought I'd be there day 1, Special Edition and all, but I cancelled my preorder months ago and now there are so many amazing games coming out the past few months that I already own and haven't had time for. It might be a while before I get around to Persona 5.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost pre ordered there special deluxe edition with the handbag but WTF am i gonna do with a handbag. So i just ordered the steel case edition. Pretty hyped never played a persona game only watched the endurance run.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I celebrated by cancelling my special edition order so there will be one more in the UK for someone to buy.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By glots

So, I just read from another forum, that someone had their PS3 pre-order cancelled by a local store in Finland. Apparently they received an email where the developer had said, that the PS3 version has been cancelled and the game is only coming out on PS4 now.

Couldn't find any other comments on this with quick googling. Bit of an odd move to cancel one version a week before it's release, if true.

Apparently it was just the EU release of the PS3 version that got canned.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sagesebas: Drew said on the ClothMap discord chat that it's only the first 90 minutes of the game.

So I think I'll watch it after at least couple of hours in.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@zeik said:

@flasaltine: As much as I'd like that, the quick look pretty much eliminates the (already next to 0) possibility. They would never do an Endurance Run before a game was officially released.

In a game as long as P5, starting an ER a few days before release probably doesn't make a huge amount of difference; it'll still be ongoing a long time after launch.

That said, the only way I think they'd start an ER before release is if a publisher OKed/suggested it. Given that full playthroughs will be up on YT soon after release (if not before), and John Hardin referencing Charlie Tunoku at E3, I'd say that it's an extremely low but non-zero chance of happening.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't watch this until after I've played at least 10-15 hours of this, but I'm real excited to hear what the crew thinks on podcasts and such until next week.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prediction: Right before the QL goes up the name is changed to Endurance Run: Persona 5 - Part 01

No Caption Provided

Don't do this to yourself, man. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment. Persona and 'Endurance Run' are curse words to GB these days.

Also the dream team is split, I can't imagine Jeff doing it with anyone else on the West coast and East wise we already have Yakuza for that.

omegacorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

So, I just read from another forum, that someone had their PS3 pre-order cancelled by a local store in Finland. Apparently they received an email where the developer had said, that the PS3 version has been cancelled and the game is only coming out on PS4 now.

Couldn't find any other comments on this with quick googling. Bit of an odd move to cancel one version a week before it's release, if true.

Looks to me like it is still up on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Persona-PlayStation-Take-Your-Heart-Premium/dp/B01GKHJP4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490707744&sr=8-2&keywords=ps3%2Bp5&th=1

I'm guessing your store didn't order enough copies/decided not to order PS3 copies or some such other shenaniganry and isn't telling you.

As to those of you who want to avoid spoiling yourselves. Truly, bless you all. I already drank from the cup of spoilers back in October. Though not the entire game, enough that nothing in preview coverage will surprise me, save seeing it in good English syntax. I wish you luck in your endeavor.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Im excited to see the Quick Look,

that said..and I mean no malice here..

People really need to let this Persona thing go. They did a thing, it was a fun thing, but let's all move on.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:

Looks to me like it is still up on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Persona-PlayStation-Take-Your-Heart-Premium/dp/B01GKHJP4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1490707744&sr=8-2&keywords=ps3%2Bp5&th=1

I'm guessing your store didn't order enough copies/decided not to order PS3 copies or some such other shenaniganry and isn't telling you.

Well, they were partially correct. Apparently it's the EU-version that suddenly got cancelled, so PS3 folks have to do some importing business over here. Telling that this close to the release is still pretty odd, but at least it exists.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36  Edited By Castiel

P5 really snuck up on me. There has been so many games released in 2017 that I'm genuinely interested in playing. Problem is that I neither really have the money or the time to catch up on them and now P5 releases next month. I just finished playing FF XV which was the last game from last year I needed to finish. Now I'm ready to play the 2017 games and there's RE7, Horizon, Yakuza 0 and soon Persona 5.

I'll be playing 2017 games way into 2018.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

People really need to let this Persona thing go. They did a thing, it was a fun thing, but let's all move on.

Seriously. The P4ER was great fun and all, but doing another one out of obligation to the fans is one of the worst things they could do in terms of killing that feeling of magic.

happenstance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

100 hour Persona 5 quick look?

Mimakos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish we had a ER of this....! I mean between the 2 podcasts/ Yakuza 0 and persona 5 ER all my needs from this website would be covered 100% !!Seriously

Neurogia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Persona 5 going to be another highschool sim with sexually oppressed students?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i look forward to them doing the quick look then never speaking of the game again.

chrispy145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I can't wait. I'll probably break down and watch it. Or I'll keep my media blackout going. Who knows.

I've been SO tempted to listen to the OST on Youtube. But I must wait...

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FrostyRyan

@humanity said:

Im excited to see the Quick Look,

that said..and I mean no malice here..

Thank you.......thank you.

This post needs to be posted on the fucking front page.

Luchalma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've kept myself away from all but a few minutes of trailers since it was announced, so I'm going to skip out on the Quick Look until after I've played it for a few hours.

About the ER, man I've just never had it in me to watch that. Persona 4 and Giant Bomb are two of my favorite things, and as entertaining as their commentary probably is, if I were to dedicate myself to another 100 hours of Persona 4, I'd probably rather just play it again myself.

druv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PERSONA!

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@noval: Yup, same here on that. Besides, if they DID start a P5 ER, early or not, it would be a problem for me. I'm planning on watching all of the P4 ER (for a 3rd time) while playing through Persona 5. I almost wouldn't want the distraction. But that's not true, I'd devour it all the same.

Still, I don't think its happening. However, hopefully it will be a cross-country QL with Jeff and Vinny? Did they get review copies early enough that Jeff could have recorded one back when he was in New York? Probably not, I think.

omegacorith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots said:
    @omegacorith said:

@glots said:

Well, they were partially correct. Apparently it's the EU-version that suddenly got cancelled, so PS3 folks have to do some importing business over here. Telling that this close to the release is still pretty odd, but at least it exists.

Huh really? It seems like it's still up on Amazon UK. Maybe you should tweet Atlus USA directly? I feel like they would have said something if that was true.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Silver-KMG677-UK-RB-Persona-PS3/dp/B01N4ON5KL/ref=pd_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DNE9G06442RCJZQJ3KJQ

Either way I guess there's always the digital version in a pinch.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh really? It seems like it's still up on Amazon UK. Maybe you should tweet Atlus USA directly? I feel like they would have said something if that was true.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Silver-KMG677-UK-RB-Persona-PS3/dp/B01N4ON5KL/ref=pd_sbs_63_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DNE9G06442RCJZQJ3KJQ

Either way I guess there's always the digital version in a pinch.

Eh, I'm personally ok. If I end up buying the game, I'll buy it for the PS4. I'm just following some comments on the issue and trying to do a bit of detective work.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

The P4 ER got me into that series, The DP ERs got me into that game, and now Beast in the East has got me into Yakuza. I'm perfectly fine with them not playing through this game on the site; I know I'm going to play it myself now anyway. I do hope at least one or two members of staff find the time to play through it on their own time, though...

Something that I think Austin said on Waypoint Radio (but could possibly have been the Beastcast) was that one week around Christmas - when they ended up doing that special episode with Pat Baer - they weren't sure if they could record the Beastcast and Jeff said to them, "This is your one chance to let people know that you don't have to do something every single week." It's a weird side thing, but I feel like that attitude fits here as well.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the Quick Look. Would love both Vinny and Jeff to have gotten in on it, if possible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.