Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jun 05, 2014

A dungeon crawler-RPG with chibi-versions of characters from both Persona 3 and Persona 4 for the Nintendo 3DS. It is directed by Etrian Odyssey IV director, Daisuke Kanada.

This game is absolutely amazing!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

You should try some of the other SMT games, particularly strange journey.

They're pretty similar to this game.

I'm really liking it at the moment. I can't wait to see how convoluted the dungeons in the later levels will get.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

I really like it, which surprises me considering how much I don't like the combat of P3/P4. This game is 90% combat and yet I like it. I'm playing on hard and the grind is starting to get to me. Not that I'm feeling under leveled, but that I feel like I'm coming up to the end (I'm at 4-3) and haven't cracked level 50. I'm 72 hours in and nearing the end game and I don't have any end game personas.

I don't think Zen or Rei are interesting characters in any way. I expect there are story reasons for why they are so lame but I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'd hang out with Junpei or Ken before I hang out with them.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I'm enjoying the difficulty of the combat as well. Feels like a nice middle ground between P4 which was too easy and SMT4 which I gave up playing after about 20 hours because it just seemed impossibly unfair.

The writing is pretty fun as well. Definitely better than Arena or Ultimax. They do tend to beat certain jokes into the ground though.

Really really like the art. May look into some EO games after this.

I don't think Zen or Rei are interesting characters in any way. I expect there are story reasons for why they are so lame but I haven't gotten to that point yet. I'd hang out with Junpei or Ken before I hang out with them.

Yup. Seems like Labrys continues to be the only side story character worth a shit.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Quantris
    @hollitz said:

I'm enjoying the difficulty of the combat as well. Feels like a nice middle ground between P4 which was too easy and SMT4 which I gave up playing after about 20 hours because it just seemed impossibly unfair.

The writing is pretty fun as well. Definitely better than Arena or Ultimax. They do tend to beat certain jokes into the ground though.

Really really like the art. May look into some EO games after this.

@mosespippy said:

Yup. Seems like Labrys continues to be the only side story character worth a shit.

Oh hell no, you did not just disrespect Funky Student!

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting it for christmas. Etrian Odyssey IV was my game of the year when that came out, and I'm a big SMT fan, so this ought to be a good time.

KestrelPi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely enjoying the dungeons a lot more than in either P3 or P4, as they actually seem to have a bit of puzzle and exploration to them, which only happened pretty rarely in P4. I'd welcome more involved dungeon exploration in P5, like this.

As for the combat difficulty, I played for a while on normal, and that was fine, a bit tougher than I'm used to, but okay. But after a while I realised that I'm enjoying the exploration way more than the combat (even though it's more interesting than Persona) and over time I've bumped it down to Safety. It still feels like enough is going on that the combat isn't just -trivial-, I still need to try to exploit weaknesses and use buffs and debuffs for the tougher encounters, but I'm happy enjoying the story and the dungeon exploration without worrying too much about losing progress from dying.

I'm glad there's a range of difficulty modes to suit all tastes.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By MEATBALL

For real, it's fantastic. Easily in my top 5 of the year, it's a perfect blend of Etrian Odyssey and Persona 3/4 and I am absolutely loving it.

Definitely a must own for the 3DS.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

It seems like a great game, I'd definitely play it if it didn't have the 1st person stuff (and if I owed a 3DS).

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You guys are killing me, I didn't quite have the money to spend on this yet. At least it's good to hear it turned out great.

Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#11  Edited By Little_Socrates

I would actually argue a few of the Persona characters are better than ever. Naoto's no longer forced to just spout exposition all the time, they're leaning into Yukiko's dark sarcasm in a great way, and Chie's not "dumbly hitting upon the right answer" like she does throughout the back of Persona 4. It's so much better than P4A, which reduced Yukiko to a cooking maniac, Chie to a dumb steak monster, and so on. It's more consistent scene-to-scene than the original game. Haven't hit the Persona 3 cast yet, but if the same love is given to the characters, this might be the best written Persona game yet.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would actually argue a few of the Persona characters are better than ever. Naoto's no longer forced to just spout exposition all the time, they're leaning into Yukiko's dark sarcasm in a great way, and Chie's not "dumbly hitting upon the right answer" like she does throughout the back of Persona 4. It's so much better than P4A, which reduced Yukiko to a cooking maniac, Chie to a dumb steak monster, and so on. It's more consistent scene-to-scene than the original game. Haven't hit the Persona 3 cast yet, but if the same love is given to the characters, this might be the best written Persona game yet.

I couldn't agree more with this. Whenever I'm describing this game and its writing to my friends who have played or at least watched the ER of Persona 4, I say that the writers did right by all of the characters. Their characterization of Minato (P3 Hero) is pretty much exactly how I pictured him when I was playing Persona 3, and even though the characters are sort of caricatures of themselves, it works and makes their interactions feel genuine. The two casts interact exactly how I wanted them to. My biggest problem with the writing in P4A (besides everyone making friendship speeches all the time and all the plot contrivances to get the characters to fight) was that the interactions between the casts of P3 and P4 felt off.

I'm not sure if I would go so far as to say it's the best written game, personally. Rather, I'd probably say that the game's writing is exactly what I wanted it to be from more of a fan service perspective. I'd definitely take the character-developing S. Links with the P4 party members over pretty much all the writing in this game I've seen so far, though. Both are fantastic, but this game doesn't add anything to these characters; it just makes them interact in a more lighthearted way than we saw in the previous games.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm enjoying this game more than I thought I would, but the more I play the more the cracks are starting to show.

I like the new combat system. It's a nice variation on both the Persona 3/4 combat and Etrian Odyssey, and they made some smart changes that I hope carry over into P5. For example, it's great that All out Attacks aren't basically any instant win button anymore, and I like that physical skills cost a static amount of HP rather than a percentage that ever increases (but without making the skill any better).

But there's a few I'm noticing that are holding it back from being great. For one, dark and light skills are OP in normal battles. I've only encountered two or three enemies in the entire game (that weren't bosses or FOEs) that have not been weak to light or dark. Once you get Mahama and Mamudo on a few different characters you can breeze through most battles with instant kills. On the other hand, they kinda nerfed the shit out of normal elemental magic. In most recent MegaTen games those spells were arguably the most valuable in the game for being able to exploit weaknesses, but with the exponential increase in SP cost as spells increase in power using them more than a few times in a battle quickly drains through your SP. Worse yet, the damage isn't even that great and with the changes to physical skills (including the addition of elemental physical skills that can crit and exploit weaknesses) characters like Mitsuru feel dramatically less useful. (Also Mind Charge costs a ridiculous 40SP. What the hell.) The combat seems to rely pretty heavily on the boost mechanic, which is a cool idea in theory, but without a reliable way to exploit weaknesses magic characters end up left in the dust.

Also there's just some crazy OP skills in the game, especially on the DLC Personas. Kaguya has one that practically makes you invincible for three turns, and Orpheus Telos has one that heals your whole party by a ton and removes all bind and ailments at the end of the turn for three turns. They both cost a lot of MP, but one boost negates that problem. The only caveat is that it does not seem like those skills are transferable to other Personas, so I assume eventually they will become outclassed enough to not be worth using for those skills alone. Then again, 3 turns of invincibility is pretty hard to outclass...

Speaking of fusion though, I think the Persona fusion system is probably the best the franchise has seen so far. It maintains the ability to freely pick your inherited skills, but puts enough restrictions on inheritence that you aren't just copying all your best skills from one Persona to another. In past games I would usually fuse away my Persona's the moment they learned all their skills, but now I often find myself holding onto them well past that, because they might have a useful skill that won't transfer through inheritence, or a strong skillset that won't transfer completely to a new Persona. You have to actually balance the necessity or benefits of fusion. Part of that is thanks to the game's sub-Persona system. Not tying those fused Persona's directly to your stats (as much) means you don't have to worry about them becoming obsolete as quickly. I'm not sure whether the system would make sense to transfer over to P5 or not, but I would like to see something like it, rather than making the hero the OP "wild card" again.

Also part of me kind of hates to say it, but I think losing those S. Link bonuses makes for a better game. Getting most of your exp and skills the moment you fuse a Persona made actually using them and leveling them a little...underwhelming, or unsatisfying. Leveling Persona's in this one seems more properly paced, and I think this game's version of sacrifice fusion is a more interesting option for bonus exp. It's nice to have something to do with your trash Persona's besides fusing them into more trash.

I enjoy the dungeon crawling. It was basically ripped whole-sale from EO, but that's okay. There's one caveat that sorta ruins it for me though: The chests that require 100% map completion to unlock. It's cool idea, but forcing you to physically walk on every tile for it to count pretty ruins it. One of the main advantages of drawing your own map is NOT having to walk on every tile. If it's a hazard floor, or in the path of an FOE, or even an obvious dead end I can just draw that in and keep moving. But now I have to walk through them anyway so I can unlock those chests. They do slightly alleviate the problem by letting you spend play coins relative to unwalked tiles to unlock the chests, but it's still BS that I feel the need to resort to that even when my map drawing is perfect.

This is already way too long, so I won't comment too much on the characters, but I can't agree that they're all well represented. Some are fine, like Kanji, who is still pretty much as entertaining as ever. Others however are basically reduced to one-note characterizations, like Teddie, who is honestly just kinda awful now. I really liked Teddie in P4, he was probably only second to Kanji. But now literally all he does is hit on girls and get shot down. Over and over and over. It was probably the most obnoxious part of Teddie in P4, but he had enough other stuff going on that it didn't grate. But now that's pretty much his entire character. They've hardly even bothered to throw in bear puns to balance it out.

I think part of the problem is that they're all perpetually stuck at a certain point in their story and not allowed to mature beyond it, because all the significant character moments happen after the events in the game. They're all just kinda there. There are moments where it's fun to see the two casts interact as friends, but this game really would have benefited from a completely new cast.

Anyway, sorry for the ridiculously long wall of whining. I do really like parts of this game, but I can't help but think about how much better it could have been, even with just a few tweaks.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Petiew

@little_socrates said:

Haven't hit the Persona 3 cast yet, but if the same love is given to the characters, this might be the best written Persona game yet.

Akihiko is terrible in this game, they ran with the awful protein obsessed idiot idea that P4A started and made it even worse. Other than that and some out of character Junpei moments they haven't messed with the characters too much.

Playing on the P3 side I appreciated being able to tell Yosuke that I would never let him into the party.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@petiew: Yeah, I don't remember Akihiko being all obsessed over protein in every scene in P3. I do like the Akihiko + Chie scenes though.

Junpei is the perfect clown for both series combined. Yukari was supposed to be the straight man to Junpei's stupid act (Tsukomi to his Boku?). But I think they obsessed over the whole SEES group thing too much with her. She came off as depressed rather than sharp tongued.

Also I can't help but notice... Especially since I use them both... that Naoto looks like the female version of the P3 male protagonist.

In any case the secret best character is, and will always be, Elizabeth.

Velvet, oh, velvet. My Master has a large nose.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
    Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@petiew: Yeah, I don't remember Akihiko being all obsessed over protein in every scene in P3. I do like the Akihiko + Chie scenes though.

He does that a lot in the fighting game.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@oscar__explosion: Yeah, I had the fighting game too. I liked his style. But he really needed to shut up about nonsense like that.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Petiew

@oscar__explosion: Yeah and it was awful there too, but for the most part he kept his original personality. At least in the first game, didn't play Ultimax's story.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Just beat it. Shit gets pretty dark toward the end. Zen and Rei seem pretty meh as characters for a long while, but they do get their moments eventually--and they are pretty powerful.

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Finished the second dungeon, and I got Ken. My ideal partner is Ken.

@slayers_bernie: Naoto is way out of control. Wondering if I should switch her out just to make things a bit more challenging. And I agree with you on most of the dialogue being junky. A lot of the characters seem to have been boiled down to a specific quirk that was a very minor thing in their original game. Chie thinks about meat every second of every day. Kanji knows how to do "girl stuff", isn't that hilarious? Teddie is... ugh, I'm starting to forget why I liked Teddie in the first place. Maybe it's just the P4 crew I have an issue with. I think the P3 characters mostly came out okay. But even so, most of the conversations in the game are unnatural and confusing and I just have to chalk it up to anime tropes I don't understand. I can't imagine this is any indication of how P5 will be. It better not be.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@hollitz said:

@slayers_bernie said:

At 3-2 on hard and the game feels too easy. Mahama and mamudo are clearing the random encounters extremely fast, Naoto is extremely overpowered with her high agi and luck. I'm fastforwarding through every piece of dialogue. Huge fan of the entire smt and persona series and I can not stand the dialogue in this game. SoundYour body is incredible. Have you ever considered camming or monetizing your content? You could make a fortune , honestly.All seems like a lazy translation of some shitty fanfiction. I'm a little scared for the quality of P5's plot and localization.

Is it worth bumping the difficulty up past hard?

>_>

Best accidental copy and paste ever.

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just bought this game on the eShop (boy is Nintendo bad at exposing this game) before getting on a 5 hour flight to visit in laws.

This game is pretty damn good! More full write up later.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224:

Hecks yeah. My favorite so far is the menu music outside the Labyrinth.

Not crazy about the Alice n Wonderland dungeon music but w/e everything else is so good.

"THIS CAROUSEL!!"

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fitzgerald: you played Dancing All Night? Nothing like busting some sick moves to Maze of Life!

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay well... not quite a full write up but things I LOVE so far:

· Everyone has a sub persona. This was something I wished P4 had (in my mind, Main Char should still be allowed to use w/e persona but the others would be restricted by their tarot personas. IE Yosuke can only switch w Magician persona, Chie w Chariot personas, etc). Things got stale in P4 with the other characters in terms of what abilities they had. This is the perfect balance of freedom and limitations by allowing only 1 extra persona per character. It's like the dev team understood exactly how to build upon P4's combat system.

· The Weakness system has been improved even more. Now, when a char triggers a weakness on an enemy, they get "advantage" which, among other things, means that spellcasting is FREE while in Advantage state. Even the physical spells that cost Hp are free in this state. This makes finding the weakness even more important because it's a way of conserving precious SP and actually helps stimulate using unconventional tactics by using spells you wouldn't normally take a chance on (but would if they were free).

I got more to say, but for now... dayum this is a good game.

Giant Bomb staff... wth guys you totally dropped the ball on covering this game. It's GOTY material (for the year it came out)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.