Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Persona

Franchise »

Depicting occult practices, fey heroes, and demons crawling out of the woodwork, Persona is Atlus' largest, most successful, and most acclaimed franchise. Beginning as a spinoff of the Shin Megami Tensei franchise, the series developed a sizable following in the West after Persona 3, and expanded into non-JRPG genres after Persona 4.

My Thoughts on the Continuation of the Persona Franchise

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Edited By aaox

God, it's been ages since I last wrote a blog post on this site. Even longer still since I wrote a good one (that time being approximately never ago), and who knows if this'll buck the trend. But enough self-pitying whinging; let's set this up. It's very long, also, so... you know. Be warned all ye who enter here.

With the recent announcement of all that Persona stuff - Persona Q: Where Are You?, Persona 4: Tunoku Don't Dance, and Persona 5, I found myself nowhere near as excited as I thought I would be. I've been worried about the franchise ever since Persona 4: The Animation was announced, and the recent explosion of Persona gave me pause for thought. I decided to sit down and try to write down what I felt about the franchise, and suddenly, an hour later, I'd written a 2,085 word long essay on the subject. If you care to read it, please do! If not, who can blame you; thank you for bothering to check this in the first place. So, without further ado:

Persona 4 may very well be my favourite game of all time. It has characters I love, some I still borderline obsess over. The setting was perfect, the gameplay pretty good for a turn based RPG, and the story was excellent. It is unique and beautiful and I care about it intensely. So, I ask myself, why am I worried about Persona 5? It's not simply a fear of the game not living up to the lofty expectations the last game set - I played Persona 3 FES after I finished 4 and still very much enjoyed it, even if I didn't like it as much. So why the fear? It's been troubling me for some time, and I figure the best way to sort it out is to write it down. Shake the tree and see what falls out, as it were.

I was first introduced to Persona 4 with, like many others, the Giant Bomb Persona 4 Endurance Run. I knew straight away that it was a game I had to play, and by episode six, the game was out in the UK. I borrowed my Uncle's Playstation 2 to play it, as I had found that mine had stopped working. Over the following two weeks I found myself sucked into the world of Inaba, hopelessly in love with Rise Kujikawa, and desperate to spend more time with the characters that populated that world. And that's not to say watching the ER alongside my own play through of the game - or several play throughs, if we're being specific - took away from the experience; it was the opposite - having two people I respect and look up to enjoying the same game I was didn't take me out of the experience - it simply made me enjoy it all the more. It felt like I was not only having this wonderfully immersive experience, but was sharing it with Jeff and Vinny. It felt like we were all in on it together, and it was wonderful.

So, some preface; I grew up in a small, rural village. I went to a relatively small countryside High School, The closest town was twenty minutes' drive away, and that town was very much like Inaba - nothing to do there except "hanging with my friends or getting part time jobs." That was pretty much my world. I had aspirations of greatness and big plans for the future, but as a 16 year old approaching the end of my compulsory schooling, I was stuck there. So straight away there were parallels; rural town, same age, same situation, and with a father that constantly goes overseas - my life was very similar to the mundane of Persona 4, just with a lot less social linking. As an introverted 16 year old who doesn't drink or enjoy going to parties, I was living a life of escapism, more or less. And then here comes Persona 4; also known as 'My life, but way, way more interesting." I could sympathise with Yosuke feeling like life was inescapably boring, I could sympathise with Kanji for feeling he didn't fit in, I could sympathise with Rise for having a lot of personas that she had to change between, and I could sympathise with Yukiko for feeling like she was trapped in her surroundings - every part of that game, every character, spoke to me. To an introvert with not much going on in way of mad friendship, and one who's always preferred a small group of very close friends than a large group of acquaintances, the Investigation Team felt like home to me. Familiar enough in both character and setting that I could simply become the blank, faceless protagonist, of whom I named 'Ben Tunoku', supplanting the name from the Giant Bomb Endurance Run with my own first name.

To me, Inaba was home, and the characters in that game were my friends. That made the ending all the more poignant - when Tunoku left the station to go back to his city life, leaving his friends behind, his situation mirrored my own, because it WAS my own. I was leaving the characters and fond memories behind me and returning to my real life. Ben Tunoku wasn't just my persona in that world - he WAS me. I inserted myself into that world, I fell in love with Rise, I saved the people who fell into the TV, I spent time with the characters - it was an intensely personal relationship that was brought about by having the protagonist being a blank slate, a veritable tabula rasa that one could impose themselves on and adopt the position of. Going into the TV became more than a little bit literal for me. It wasn't just playing a game, it was going into another world - living in Inaba, if only briefly. Persona 4 came along at the perfect - or, depending on your point of view, perfectly wrong - point in my life. My experience with Persona 4 was entirely reliant on me being in that state when the game came along. It was a perfect storm, and I suppose it's fair to say that my experience was rather unique - at least, insofar as my own personal life. That's not to say others didn't have the same experience, I just haven't heard from them.

So, Persona 4 ended, and then, months later, the Persona 4 Endurance Run ended. I said goodbye to my friends and went back to my ordinary life, sad, but happy for having had the experience. It felt like I really did go away to Inaba and come back. I felt sad that I had to leave the people I cared about behind, but what a beautiful, albeit bittersweet, ending to a wonderful experience. It was incredibly special, and I doubt I'll ever have that experience with another game for the rest of my life, unless Persona 5 is about a jaded 20 year old in University afraid of the impending, colossal unknown of the future.

Then, Persona 4: The Animation came out. That was fine; they had to give the protagonist a name, and I wasn't directly influencing it so that was alright. I wasn't being forced to be Yu Narukami; I could still separate him and myself. Yu had his adventure, and I had mine. That was fine. They were just two separate stories.

Then, Arena came out. A spinoff, but after waiting a year to play it because of the odd circumstances that surrounded that game's release in the EU, I was rattled to my absolute core. It shook me. It borderline horrified me, to be perfectly honest; Suddenly, I wasn't there anymore. It was like invasion of the body snatchers was happening right in front of me. I wasn't picking conversation options. I was sitting there watching Yosuke talk with Narukami, not me. I was watching Rise call the person who used to be my existence in that world a 'big bastard with a sister complex' with no mention of the relationship she and I had had in the previous game. All my input was gone; all the choices I made had ceased to be. I felt like I'd fallen into another world where I no longer existed; I was just the player, playing a game again. I completely agree with you if you're thinking that it was my fault that I got so invested that this troubles me, but as I've said, it was a perfect storm of circumstance that led to me being so invested in my time in Inaba that the suggestion that it was entirely non-canonical is completely abhorrent.

But it still stood; as far as Persona 4 Arena was concerned, I couldn't go back to Inaba. Yu came along and took my place. And that hurt, a lot. It worried me. The experience I had had with Persona 4 was something I hold incredibly close to my heart - did they just make everything I'd done completely redundant? Did they just ret-con Ben Tunoku? The time I'd spent in Inaba? My choices? My relationships with the characters? Could Ben Tunoku still exist in a world where Yu Narukami existed?

And there was no answer to that question. There was just a big, empty void, with no suggestion of any continuation of the franchise but Golden, which I bought and loved. Then that bloody countdown clock came along.

So for the past few months I've been worried. Not excited, worried; and that itself is strange to me. Persona 4 was and still is the best game I've ever played and my favourite game of all time, and Persona 3 is definitely in the top ten, so why am I not excited by the prospect of a Persona 5? Why did I try to rationalise that the introduction of the Multiverse in Persona 4 Golden was a method with which to allow there to be multiple stories taking place in different versions of Inaba, and not simply a way to work online functionality into the game?

Well, if you've stuck around to this point, the answer should be obvious. Persona 5 reflects the critical point where I'll find out if Ben Tunoku is still allowed to exist; and, of course, we don't know the answer yet. It doesn't look like Narukami's coming back for Persona 5, but that's all just speculation at this point - five chairs with ball-and-chains attached to them is hardly conclusive. I just think they'd lean harder on the existing characters off the bat if they wanted to hype people up about it. Also, important to note, the main character in Persona 4: Dancing All Night (still the best video game title ever) was referred to as 'Hero', not 'Narukami-kun', so that could be a big positive step at least as far as I'm concerned. And Rise you have never looked so fine. But at the same time, denying Arena and canon could seriously hurt the possibility of a continued franchise, and I hardly want Persona to go Final Fantasy route and have a completely unrelated story every time, reducing the franchise to nothing but a disconnected mess of similar situations. But if there are whole new characters, and I'm playing as someone else but can see Narukami and Rise and to a lesser extent everyone else from a distance, how am I going to feel? I still don't know, and that uncertainty is disquieting.

I don't want my time in Inaba to be over, but it might be. At the very least, Ben Tunoku certainly didn't go back for Golden Week. Or perhaps he did, but with a different name, and with a different personality. Perhaps it's high time I let go of my attachment to the characters and accept that they're not real, accept that it's simply a video game, and that it's impact on me is all one-sided; just lines of code speaking pre-determined dialogue to a faceless, voiceless character who was designed to give me a place. But I care about Inaba, and I care about the characters. Accepting it to be completely unreal is not something I could do lightly, as it was real to me, if only for a short while.

Perhaps this is a part of growing up; letting go even though the thought horrifies you. Maybe I'm just a man child who cares more about his computer friends than going out there and making actual, living friends, but that's neither here nor there - that'll simply be something I have to figure out as I go.

To finish, I'll simply state the obvious and render the entire essay I just accidentally wrote meaningless in a stark metaphor for the impact of canon on my time in Inaba. Persona 4 was a huge part of my life, and my time in Inaba ended with the train ride home. When the credits rolled and the screen faded out with Tunoku looking at that picture of his friends, I found myself looking at that same picture with feelings of regret, of sadness, of hope that I'd see them again. Of fond memories about the time I spent with them. For that one moment, Ben Tunoku and Benjamin Holdsworth were the same person. We didn't want to leave Inaba, but we thought we'd be back again someday.

And now, almost five years later, I've been told that Inaba might be open for business again. And I want to go back. But I'm not sure if I can go back, now. Perhaps the train headed for Inaba isn't waiting for Ben Tunoku anymore.

And there you have it; 15 paragraphs of overly dramatic self-indulgent nonsense, but perhaps you're of a similar mindset and appreciate it. Or perhaps it's an interesting case for study over over-immersing oneself in a video game world, who can say. But either way, thank you for reading it, or at least scrolling past it to see how long it was.

- Aaox

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SamStrife

That was a good read but I'm sorry to say if Persona 5 isn't a brand new cast of characters, they've done fucked up.

As great as the cast of 4 were (although I prefer the cast of 3 personally) they've been milked to death. If you want your answers as to what happened with them, you can (possibly) find them in the new Persona Q which got announced.

Or you could use your imagination and spend the rest of your life holing them in your heart as this perfect group of people which greatly affected you. Surely anything they add is just going to diminish their value? Like you stated, Arena wasn't that special, yet it's fully canonical.

Why not let them create a new group of people for you to fall in love with?

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine Q and the fighting game are continuing with the old casts while 5 will be an entirely new thing, with a new tone and theme. Which seems just perfect to me, at least. Side stuff on handhelds for lovers of the old crews, with a big new mainline game for the new one. Too early to call anything about any of those games but I think it's a positive sign, at least.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Hey, I guess I should start with, you're not alone. (I feel like I'm in a Persona 4 support group)

Actually, I've been experiencing the whole anxiety thing when the countdown started too. I played through Arena skipping dialogue between Chie and Narukami. Persona 4 is certainly my (very) personal favorite video game, and the pushes to make it less personal have been... somewhat jarring for me. And until the recent announcements, I was certain I wouldn't play another Persona-related game again.

Because thanks to Dancing All Night, I can say otherwise! (joking, of course)

Anyway, I guess what I'm getting at is that I genuinely believe the way I feel about Persona 4 will not change-- that it'll probably continue to mean so much to me as it did when I fell in love with it. I left watching those announcement videos more optimistic than I anticipated. Not even Charlie (or in my case, Takuma) flailing his arms about made me feel the least bit uncomfortable. I played through Persona 4 in a time in my life, where I think I needed it. Nothing, not even seeing Charlie dance the way he did, can really change that.

On another note, have you played through Golden? I think it was my playthrough of Golden that made me so sure my feelings about the game wouldn't change.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If you love something, let it go

If it comes back, it wants money

GB ate the lengthy response that I had before, so I'll make this quick. P4 did many great things for Atlus and the Jrpg genre in general, so it's only natural that people would want to spend a lot of time with the P4 cast. However, they've been milking the poor thing dry for 5~ years. I'm sure Atlus wants to make the fans happy, but at the same time, it'd be totally fucked if we encouraged the main Persona series' transformation into a sequel-based clusterfuck.

I love Inaba, but I'm totally fine with the memories that I made in the past.

I'm a slave to Risette, but...

Bring on the emancipation.
    Bring on the emancipation.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

That was a good read but I'm sorry to say if Persona 5 isn't a brand new cast of characters, they've done fucked up.

As great as the cast of 4 were (although I prefer the cast of 3 personally) they've been milked to death. If you want your answers as to what happened with them, you can (possibly) find them in the new Persona Q which got announced.

Or you could use your imagination and spend the rest of your life holing them in your heart as this perfect group of people which greatly affected you. Surely anything they add is just going to diminish their value? Like you stated, Arena wasn't that special, yet it's fully canonical.

Why not let them create a new group of people for you to fall in love with?

You're not alone, I also prefer the cast of P3 to that of P4 - (the love hotel sequence if you choose to go with Yukari is priceless). Of course Person 3 was my first forray into that series so I think more fondly of it. Likewise I imagine a lot of people were exposed to the franchise for the very first time through Giant Bomb and the crazy shenanigans that ensued during the Endurance Run - so I'm not blaming anyone for getting attached to the characters and all the goofy jokes. Although whenever anything Persona related comes up and people bombard Jeff's Tumblr with "YO JEFF BUFU AM I RITE NEW PERSONA WHEN TEH ENDURANCE RUN JEFF WATERMELON JEFF HIGH KICKS HEY JEFF JEFF" that stuff should probably stop.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By aaox

Man Giant Bomb is just eating up responses lately, huh. I had responded to you all in a single response, but I guess I'll just have to do it separately now and hope it doesn't strike anyone as overbearing.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flappy: I'm totally ready to leave behind the cast of Persona 4 and play Persona 5. I absolutely do not want Persona 4-2. I agree that Persona 4 has been rather overdone, and my only real problem with that is that the majority of the time it's not really been my Persona 4 experience because unless they work out Mass Effect-style save transfers, nothing's happening there. It meant so much to me that I don't want to leave it behind but you're totally right; and I'm ready to move forward. I just don't want the forward motion to be mired in the time I spent in Inaba, which I feel any imposition of the P4 cast would cause. That said, I am totally ready for Persona 5. Bring on the Risette Emancipation

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's a fairly safe assumption that Persona 5 is going to be a new cast. That would follow the trend of every numbered Persona game have a different set of characters. If you just want more Persona 4, I guess that Persona 4 Q or whatever game will have to do for you because I would be fairly shocked if Persona 5 brought any of the old casts back. Frankly, its probably for the best that we aren't getting a direct canonical sequel to Persona 4 (but I guess this depends on how much weight you put into the story in Persona 4: Arena [which is getting a sequel in and of itself]). It would be nigh on impossible to live up to expectations, especially for people like you who are very invested in the cast. It would be hard for them to make your decisions in the first game matter (ending / love interest(s) / who you neglected and who you maxed out S.Links with), and if they just made it a stock "You're coming back again, but no one remembers that you dated them or that your friendship ended in a reversed S. Link, etc." it would be disappointing for many people.

Persona 5 will hopefully be an entirely new Persona experience. Maybe it'll grip you like Persona 4 did. Only one way to find out!

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By slyspider

As long as this is the last game based on the p4/p3 cast I'm good. These two, mainly the dancing one, feel like a wave goodbye to old friends. P5 should be a new cast with maybe some crossover (a persona shadow fighting would be awesome and really not far off from things they teased). Also I love rise and a game based around her and a one off reference to her rival or underling or whatever is fine by me!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As some have said above, I love the cast of P3 a little more then P4. Persona 3 Fes was one of those games that was introduced to me by a crazy asian man who till this day I wish I could thank him again for showing me the wonders of Persona. I Can't see me enjoying 5 as much as I want if the cast is not new. We have arena, we have p3portable and p4Golden. We have PersonaQ which by damn I will destroy like I have many times on my ps2 for the previous games. I would say, let them rest after these games and allow 5 to bring in the new kids. It is time to move on "after these spin offs" and find your new Inaba. I moved on from Fes. I used to turn on the game and have the menu playing in the background as I slept. I have it on my phone so I can listen to it in the car and even have the sound tracks to all persona's on my pc. Hell, I am about to make the Fes song my ringtone now that I think about it. The only thing I truly want, is for them to keep their same method of making the games. I dont want something New! and Awesome! just to get people to buy it, I want the same thing that has brought me to buying all of the previous games even though they are old. Even though they are more expensive then some other games that I want. I want them to make a game that I will sit down and think about even when playing other games. The only thing beyond persona that has done this is the 2 Souls games. I need a new cast, I need a new teddy. I want a new velvet room and I would like Elizabeth back to help guide me through.

Bakatorara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bloody hell the community here is fantastic. i literally was like, oh here's a guy pouring his heart out, trolls incoming.

but.... nothing? niceley done Giant bomb, you've surprised me yet again.

but damn, yeah ao, i feel ya. it was a bloody good game with characters that seriously covered some holes that existed within ourselves - hell, they should brand it as "jungian psychology treatment game!". And persona 5 updates left me with that buterfly feeling when you get to the top of a rolercoster and you're like "shit, keeping my eyes open was a bad idea" then you turn around and realise closing your eyes to the issue is the exact problem that persona 4 was attempting to solve. goddamit that little game was too epic. And to be honest, while i didn't look at persona as far as you did - i generally take this for how they are anyway - its a feeling that every player who enjoyed the game felt. so while it isnt just that persona 5 will be shadowed by persona 4 - infact it may just be the inverse - i think we're all scared of the understanding we built with those characters finally falling over and dying. Its an old home we lived in thats being torn down to make a school. sad, terrifying, but it'll end up bloody good.

Id (psychology pun there for anyone who gets it) like to say two more things before i depart. Firstly, while i don't think the shitscary object we cal the "future" will be the focus of the next game (i mean we kinda did that in p3 folks, we dont like repitition) but i do think that this upcoming game will facilitate some of your memories - actually ive been analysing the series and ive got a rather strong feeling that the game might use those very memories (though a different character) and add even more realism to those youthful memories.

My secondnote is that you know its a bloody good game when it makes so many of us go through a stage of personal metamorphis. i mean im probably one of the younger p3/4 players (15 now) and i get where all you bastards are coming from. it really stabs a butter knife in your heart and makes you reflect before jamming some good sense into you. but ive gotta say it always felt incomplete. In p3, you faced DEATH and to an extent won and lost. but you had justice for your actions. You faced something and had to sacrifice to gain what you wanted. p4 lost that, or at least hasn't given it yet. you play and force your way through with your own trials and tribulations, but in the end, its just getting you to the stage of conviction. its not shallow or anything, just not complete. this is coming from a writer who can never finish off a bloody story correctly - i know when a conclusion wasn't done right. its all about conviction, and persona beleif and understanding, and while the first step is the hardest, the last step hurts more all the same, but there was a step left out there. and thats what i think persona 5 will facilitate, in my own little world. it'll show the same pain that you have to feel after collecting your conviction.

ill just take the door saying this:
    hot damn " bring on the emancipation" is a good line. I'm using that, you know. Its bloody good.
    Bring on the emancipation. I'm ready.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.