Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Peter Molyneux

Person » credited in 51 games

Peter Molyneux is a veteran British game designer renowned for his pathological lying, innovation with AI, and business simulation and RPG/God genres.

Can anyone else not stand Peter Molyneux?

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrockNRolla

I'm not a fan. I've played everything from Black & White to Fable 3 and all I can see anymore is a long stream of broken promises and half-baked ideas. Fable: The Journey looks like another piece of trash; he attempted to rebuff the accusation that it was "on-rails" during an interview by stating that it was "open-world insofar as you can move around the path you're on."

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing him speak. I don't understand why he gets held up as some kind of gaming icon. Thoughts?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By flaminghobo

I can understand why people dislike Peter Molyneux with all his overhyped promises when he presents future games, and to an extent I share that hate, but he is also one of the industry's last veteran designers and has offered much in the way of innovation and offering something 'dfiferent', take Dungeon Keeper for example. However, I do agree that Fable: The Journey looks -awful-.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Some people like to hope that one of these days, he'll actually follow through on around half of the promises he makes.  He never will, but whatever.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buzz_killington

Peter Molyneux is a great, creative, ambitious mind and this industry definitely needs more people like him. Just watch his interview with IGN from a couple of years ago, where he talks about some of his cancelled projects. The man is a genius.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrockNRolla
    @buzz_killington:  Great ideas do not make a great game though. I love some of his ideas. All the grand notions behind the Fable series have always intrigued me. But, where is the proof of his genius?
    McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

The first Fable is one of my all-time favorite games, but all of his outright lies have pissed me off. Maybe one of the reasons I did like Fable was that I hadn't heard all the bullshit that he had been spouting about it before-hand, but with Fable 2 I learned what a lying blowhard the guy is. I can't stand him.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mnzy

Have you ever heard an artist talk about a painting or a sculpture really intesively like it was the most amazing and important piece mankind was ever able to create and then you actually saw it and were like 'meh'? That's what he's like for video games.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BrockNRolla
    @mnzy said:
    Have you ever heard an artist talk about a painting or a sculpture really intesively like it was the most amazing and important piece mankind was ever able to create and then you actually saw it and were like 'meh'? That's what he's like for video games.
    Agreed.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By MEATBALL

No, nobody on the internet hates Peter Molyneux.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TotalEklypse

I loved Black and White.  

That said, the man is full of shit.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Damn.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By TheGreatGuero

He's not much of a gaming icon though, is he? He's known more for failing to deliver than for making good games. I can't believe they're working on another Fable. He needs to move on with his life. Fable will never be the mega franchise he wants it to be. He needs to try something else. Something less uhh.. what's the word... less uhh... ambitious! I almost could not think of that word for the life of me. It's okay to reach for the stars once in a while, but it's also good to know your limits.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Subjugation

He is an extremely ambitious developer that the industry could use more of. He just has the problem of his vision exceeding the technology and ability that is available to him. I though his cancelled game BC looked awesome, which is only one example of his many grand ideas. If he could land some tech and developers that could deliver on his grand vision I believe he would absolutely blow away the gaming community at large.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrockNRolla
    @weeman105 said:
     If he could land some tech and developers that could deliver on his grand vision I believe he would absolutely blow away the gaming community at large.
    I'd love to see it. Doubt such a scenario could ever exist.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.