Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 01, 1994

As bounty hunter Chaz you'll lead a group of adventurers to save your home planet of Motavia and eventually the whole solar system in this acclaimed RPG from Sega. The final game in the Phantasy Star series' canon.

Can you play this without having played the other 3?

MrSlapHappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By MrSlapHappy

The Steam sale makes me want to buy obscure stuff that everybody mentions, but I have never played and feel like I should. All the Phantasy Star Sega genesis games are in the Sega pack (I dont want the whole pack) and I know that Jeff has a real like of the series, or at least the online ones.

My question is whether I can just buy the last one, since it has the highest general reviews, or if it won't be as good in that context because I don't know any of the history?

theuselessgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By theuselessgod

I'd say yes. There are a few neat backstory bits that if you played II or III you'll get, but as a whole each Phantasy Star game is very well contained.

And if you play one, play this one, as it is easily the best of the series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll second that yes. There are some references you'll get only if you've played the prior three games. But the game stands alone, too.

Also, the game is set so far from the other games temporally that you really don't have to worry about them in the story.

delsaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By delsaber

Yes. I started with PSIV, was obsessed with it, and gradually worked my way backwards. Then forwards again.

The connections are definitely there - there's even a brilliant nod to PSIII, which was almost entirely removed from the rest of the series - but nothing that would confuse a player who starts with PSIV. Also, PSIV is by far the most accessible and polished of the original series, and the best game of the four partially for that reason. It's easily one of the two or three best RPGs of the 16-bit generation, so if trying to play I - III first puts you off the experience of IV, I'd say forget about the earlier games entirely.

PSIV needs to be experienced; the rest I consider wholly optional.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.