Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phantom Dust

Game » consists of 0 releases.

A reimagining of the unique action strategy game heavily inspired by collectible trading card games. The game will feature a extensive 30+ hour JRPG campaign that retells the original story.

What is Phantom Dust to you?

• 59 results
    StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 25

Poll What is Phantom Dust to you? (277 votes)

I played it and LOVED it 9%
    I played it and enjoyed it 7%
    I played it but didn't care for it 1%
    I played it and HATED it 0%
    I never played it but was interested 12%
    I never played it and wasn't interested 10%
    What the pup is Phantom Dust? 60%

Now that the crazy out-of-left-field rumor has proven true, I'm curious to know just how many people have a history with Phantom Dust, that obscure combat arena deck building Japanese post-apocalyptic action game that came out for the original Xbox like a billion years ago. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's the reason I bought the Xbox and, now that it's been announced for the XBOne, I am actually considering buying a One just for this game. We'll have to wait and see just how much of an HD remake it is and whether they decide to muck it all up with poorly implemented F2P nonsense, but man, I fucking LOVED that game. And I don't think anyone else I know has even heard of it.

• 
    CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As I said in your other forum creation, I am a genuine videogamesman and not once have I heard the words phantom and dust put together to make the title of a video game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

A game that I hadn't even heard of until a couple of weeks ago when the rumours of a new game began.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Never played it. My xbox was used for important games like WWE RAW 2,Wreckless, and Crash Twinsanity.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Today is the first time I have ever heard of Phantom Dust. I've played video games for as long as I can remember. My earliest memory of a Christmas morning is the day our family got a C64.

CDUB901

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only experience I had with the OG Xbox was at a couple of friends houses so Phantom Dust is a game that I've never even heard of, but I'm definitely excited to play it based off of people being excited for it.

Kind of just want to buy a copy of it and play it now that I own an Xbox, but this new version is a remake isn't it? Perhaps it's best to wait?

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

what's a fantom dust?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Nothing, as I never owned an original Xbox, nor was it even released in Europe anyway to begin with.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first game was my #1 favorite game of all time, edging Jedi Academy. I spent way too much time on this game, man. Way too much. Invisible Judge of Anubis arsenal was my shit, same with Jump+Lightning Speed Arsenals. If you have any history playing this game on XBox Live I may have played with you.

I agree that pseudo-F2P and Microsoft's invisible hand are gonna be all over this with the whole skill unlocking and collectability of it but regardless I think this game can be amazing if they nail the gameplay. I'm already imagining offloading the destruction+physics to the cloud and hopefully allowing for more ridiculously sized stages and more fantastic effects (more than 2v2? holy shit).

They really have to nail the gameplay because that is what made this game for me -- Phantom Dust 1 focused -so- much on gameplay that other parts suffered ridiculously (first 1/2 of that campaign mode...).

I would buy a One just for this game, luckily I have a roommate to mooch off for now.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I saw it back in the day and was interested, but I never had an Xbox so I never played it. When the rumors were starting I was very surprised because while I had some distant, fuzzy memory about being intrigued by it I never knew it had a cult following with anything close to the notoriety you'd need for someone to make a reboot of it something.

Something like Killler Instinct I could understand, because I heard rumblings about that for a long time, but telling me that they were making another Phantom Dust would be like telling me they were rebooting Vexx or something. Obviously this game was better than that one, but I had completely forgotten.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Oldirtybearon

Is this a sequel to that furry game that came out awhile ago?

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to see it all the time in Blockbuster when I was younger. I might have rented it at some point, but if I did I don't really remember. Either way I wish I had paid more attention to it seeing how weird it is and how stoked some people are (looking at you, Patrick) about it.

Thiago123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Thiago123

Up until a few hours ago, nothing. Now I know it was an OG XBox game that apparently some people liked. (?) Now it is getting rebooted or maybe just HDified. So, really still kinda nothing.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

A goddamned video game!

binhoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a miserable pile of secrets?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Nothing but a cool trailer that reminds me of X.

X was awesome.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

In case anyone wants to watch some gameplay from the first game -- there's a "card deck" you set up outside of the actual battle, then you go in and HAM it up.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd never heard of it until today, but I looked up some videos of the original and it actually looks really cool.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never heard the name in my life until today.

I guess it's some... card battling thing. Is it in any way like Baten Kaitos? I actually kinda loved Baten Kaitos.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

So this game is sort of like Lost Kingdoms? Oh man, Lost Kingdoms. Ah, the perils of being a Gamecube owner...

Avatar image for purplepartyrobot
    PurplePartyRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably some kind of club drug.

Coleslaw893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By Coleslaw893

First heard of it probably 5 or so years ago. I spent some time looking for "hidden gems" of the PS2/Xbox/GC era, and Phantom Dust was one of the titles I found, but never ended up getting it. I think the card based gameplay put me off and I forgot about it. I was genuinely surprised to see it make a comeback today. The whole time during the trailer I was thinking: "There's no way this could be Phantom Dust, right?"

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Never owned an original Xbox, so I never got to play it. Heard about it though and I thought it seemed interesting at the time.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I know literally nothing about it.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the very first time I've ever heard anything about this game. From the trailer I guess it's a fighting game? But then somebody said it's a card battle game. So...okay? Trailer sure doesn't reflect that. At all.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the greatest video game ever made

amani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never heard of it, but it was described as an action game w/ decks involved. And as a man who loves his stupid action games and doesn't mind card battles, my interest in piqued.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's what they call Angel Dust in Europe.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

When you clean your room and then there are all these dust particles in the air you can see when light hits.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe so many people here haven't heard of this game! Maybe you were all too young or something? It was a little under the radar too though...

I actually liken it a little bit to Dissidia. Dissidia has a lot more anti-gravity/flying/acrobatics to it, but the combat with chosen skills in a 1v1 setting aspect is similar. But this was obviously way before Dissidia.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Well someone in this thread pointed out it never got released in Europe. So that's my excuse.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

I didn't even know what this game was until I saw that video on Rev 3 a couple of days ago.

jadewiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, why is everyone assuming this is a remake? The only person in the trailer that came from the first game is the girl. This could very well be an entirely new game, easily set before the events of the first one knowing how the world was made at the end of the first.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

isn't that the David Bowie game with the Quantic Dream where he released an album in 2000 with music videos with in engine graphics?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@xyzygy: Well someone in this thread pointed out it never got released in Europe. So that's my excuse.

I'm American and the first time I heard of Phantom Dust was this morning.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phantom Dust was fucking awesome, but it was DEFINITELY a niche game. Nonetheless, I put a fair amount of time into Phantom Dust, and it was thoroughly entertaining at the time. It was a bitch to find the next mission, but the gameplay was great.

Can't wait to see a new one. It's such an obscure thing to announce at such a big event, let alone even revive. I want to know the story behind all that.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

I don't know this game at all.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember seeing an episode of Reviews on the Run years upon years ago where Tommy and Vic reviewed the game where the general thought was "It's kind of weird, but kind of good." But then completely forgot about it until now. Think it's super cool for the people who were into the original though they get a new one.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

A peculiar MMO.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Phantom Dust is what you snort off a ghost stripper's ghost tits.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShaggE

Hey man, I got this Phantom Dust... first hit is free. Meet me behind the Arby's and we'll do this thing.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I'd never heard of it until this month and I have no interest in it.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a game that I wanted to play, but yeah, it was never released in any PAL regions at all, as far as I'm aware.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Icil

@jadewiz said:

So, why is everyone assuming this is a remake? The only person in the trailer that came from the first game is the girl. This could very well be an entirely new game, easily set before the events of the first one knowing how the world was made at the end of the first.

That's true but at the E3 conference itself the trailer was announced under the context of 'we like reviving old games, like Killer Instinct'. My guess is that the story is going to be retold (it's a great one anyway).

I agree too, though, a Protagonist vs. Freya sequel could also be a great story.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Icil

@jakob187 said:

Can't wait to see a new one. It's such an obscure thing to announce at such a big event, let alone even revive. I want to know the story behind all that.

Totally caught my by surprise man, to have an idea like that go all the way up the Microsoft chain and lead to funding?? Whoever spearheaded that is my hero.

jadewiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icil said:

@jadewiz said:

That's true but at the E3 conference itself the trailer was announced under the context of 'we like reviving old games, like Killer Instinct'. My guess is that the story is going to be retold (it's a great one anyway).

I agree too, though, a Protagonist vs. Freya sequel could also be a great story.

I was told Major Nelson tweeted that it was an HD Remake, which I would be pissed about given the seemingly new protagonist. Even under the context of 'we like reviving old games, like Killer Instinct', my point is this: KI doesn't really have a story (as far as I know), so KI is more a reboot, much like this could be.
    I'm hoping to god its a reboot of the franchise, and not a remake. I'm also kinda hoping that even if this game comes out great, and people love it, we don't get another one for another 10 or so years. I don't want to see one of my favorite IP's of all time become the subject of a yearly bastardization process.
    Now for me, the only way E3 could get better is if somebody, ANYBODY, announces a Jade Cocoon 3.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icil said:

@jakob187 said:

Totally caught my by surprise man, to have an idea like that go all the way up the Microsoft chain and lead to funding?? Whoever spearheaded that is my hero.

LET ALONE the fact that it was shown off at the Microsoft PRESS CONFERENCE at E3.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember playing the crap out of the demo I'd gotten from one of the OXM issues, but never got around to actually owning the game. Really surprised to see Microsoft resurrect this title.

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@butano said:

I remember playing the crap out of the demo I'd gotten from one of the OXM issues, but never got around to actually owning the game. Really surprised to see Microsoft resurrect this title.

This is where I first played it too. I would spend hours trying to drop as many walkways and bridges onto people. I ended up buying it a few years later on Amazon and loved the full game.

As soon as the trailer started I knew it was Phantom Dust. Haven't gotten this giddy about a trailer since the Halo 2 E3 trailer.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww man I loved this game soo much, one of my favourtie E3 surprises.. The multiplayer was dumb fun and I really liked the world, for a game that retailed at $20 ($40 here) I'm surprised it's making a come back

randombattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By randombattle

You havent lived until you ran with a phantom dust deck and waiting until 30 minutes into a match to reset everything to 0.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.