Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phil Fish

Person » credited in 5 games

A French Canadian game designer and the co-founder of Polytron Corporation.

About Phil Fish

• 158 results
    kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kortex

I never understood all the the hate for Phil Fish (and Jonathan Blow btw) and when I saw him sitting on the couch on today's live stream I was expecting the worst from the chat. I am happy to say that I was wrong. What happened? Everybody seemed to be cool with him being there. As I said I never disliked him. I know he isn't a super-happy-funtime guy or that shy-indie-nerd everybody likes today, he is a person, you know... with opinions and stuff. So... thanks chat... I guess

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Phil Fish seems like an awesome guy. I never understood the hate either. Even watching Indie Game: The Movie I had nothing but sympathy for the bullshit he was going through to get Fez completed.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He said Japanese games industry sucks. If you shame glorious Nippon, you should commit sudoku!

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I missed the stream but he is a really cool guy, the bad image he gets is pretty unfair. Glad chat was civil.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

I wasn't a fan of Fez at all and Phil can be a bit...let's say intense at times (I certainly never "hated" him or anything) but he was great on the stream today.

Morbid_Coffee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Morbid_Coffee

People don't like him because he has really strong opinions about things and if you don't agree with the internet then you're a horrible monster who deserves to die.

But the real reason people don't like him is because he's French-Canadian. That's like twice the awfulness in one person!

No Caption Provided

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

I have never had a problem with Phil Fish, but I kind of think Jonathan Blow is full of himself. I love Braid, but the fact that he got pissed off because the people that loved his game and showered it with amazing reviews "didn't like it for the right reasons" or "didn't get what he was trying to convey" just makes him seem kind of like a pretentious dick. Maybe that's unfair, but that's what it seems like to me. His new game still looks pretty cool though.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I wasn't fully aware of him beforehand but he seems like a cool guy to me.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't like Phil Fish because he's French Canadian. They don't mince words and aren't afraid to tell you what they really think.

It's why I love him, personally.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By pr1mus

Philippe Poisson is awesome. The guy speaks his mind without consideration for political correctness which some people don't like.

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
    deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He seems like he's not a bad guy but sometimes he opens his mouth way too wide and some shit falls out (metaphorically... or not, I don't know the guy)

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He seemed like a nice folk. And like he was having a good time.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always kind of dug Phil Fish, though I know he gets a bit of a "moody" or "jerk" wrap. So does Blow, it seems. There was a time when I kind of didn't like Blow, but that was my fault. I judged him based on a lot of people who I felt were a bit pretentious in their adoration and constant not-shutting-the-fuck-up about Braid (a good game, but jesus some people wanked over it a bit excessively). After I realized more about what the dude himself was like, I even sent him an apology for being a dick and adding to the noise (because I know he used to have a reputation for reading everything about himself or his games online and taking it very personally). I felt legitimately bad about myself over my initial reaction.

Anyway, so what if they're both more thoughtful and intense and can be a little bit of a jerk than the average person? Welcome to the fucking software industry. I'd have a beer with both of these dudes and I'd gladly be the one to pay.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was because of the whole quote where he said he thought japanese games sucks. came off very elitist

but he did apologize soon afterwards though, dude seems like he can be still pretentious

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's just such a cunt. Fez was a fine game, but he can't provide criticism without being an absolute douchebag. He hasn't accomplished enough to earn that right.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: It's pretty funny when people say that we don't mince words. When I went to NYC a couple months before, my friend told me to watch what I say because apparently some Americans don't appreciate how we word things. I didn't get that feeling because I barely talked to New Yorkers, but is this really how some Americans view our way of speaking?

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

it was because of the whole quote where he said he thought japanese games sucks. came off very elitist

but he did apologize soon afterwards though, dude seems like he can be still pretentious

If you really wanna know why people are so upset look at his current ranting on twitter from the past few days.

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By casper_

on the topic of blow:

i kind of get why people have a bad attitude towards him despite the fact that i liked his game and agree with a lot of the stuff he says. my only problem with him is that it seems like a lot of his energy is focused outwards and a lot of his criticism of the game industry/ people who buy mainstream games can seem totally condescending. picasso didn't have to explain to people why his art was wonderful and deep and i doubt he really cared if people didn't get it. imo art isnt something that needs to be explained or need a justifiable reason for it to exist/be art, it just needs to be presented as art and that's about it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@superfusion said:

@oldirtybearon: It's pretty funny when people say that we don't mince words. When I went to NYC a couple months before, my friend told me to watch what I say because apparently some Americans don't appreciate how we word things. I didn't get that feeling because I barely talked to New Yorkers, but is this really how some Americans view our way of speaking?

Not American myself, but I imagine if you aren't around French Canadians for any extended amount of time, they can be downright brutal when they're just being honest. I don't think it's malicious in nature. I lived in Montreal for a couple of years so I got used to it pretty quickly.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got it. My problem with him is that he thinks he's about a hundred times as successful and important as he really is. That really bothers me.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon said:

People don't like Phil Fish because he's French Canadian. They don't mince words and aren't afraid to tell you what they really think.

It's why I love him, personally.

I suppose this could be it for me actually. He certainly doesn't hold back and in my admittedly limited knowledge of him I had built an idea of some brash, arrogant jackass. I never acted on that idea through bullshit forum posts or anything silly but I didn't hold him in a very high regard personally. All I had to go on was Indie Game: The Movie and whatever showed up on the few sites I follow. Seeing him interact with his industry peers and with the GB people was certainly eye opening and I was quite happy to have my eyes opened.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kortex

@ll_exile_ll: Don't you think that it is a valid opinion by an artist (that's right, I said it) like Jonathan Blow who is trying to express himself and deliver something to his audience and who feels people just didn't get the message? And does he not have the right to express his disappointment?

If we have the right to criticize his work, why shouldn't he be allowed to criticize our part in the creative process. The reader writes the text. And if the reader fucks up, well... then the text is fucked. You could blame the writer/artist for not delivering a good enough base for interpretation but that's a totally different argument than "Jonathan Blow is full of it".

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casper_ said:

picasso didn't have to explain to people why his art was wonderful and deep and i doubt he really cared if people didn't get it.

Picasso actually had a rep for being super arrogant. Just saying :)

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@kortex said:

@ll_exile_ll: Don't you think that it is a valid opinion by an artist (that's right, I said it) like Jonathan Blow who is trying to express himself and deliver something to his audience and who feels people just didn't get the message? And does he not have the right to express his disappointment?

If we have the right to criticize his work, why shouldn't he be allowed to criticize our part in the creative process. The reader writes the text. And if the reader fucks up, well... then the text is fucked. You could blame the writer/artist for not delivering a good enough base for interpretation but that's a total different argument than "Jonathan Blow is full of it".

I thought everybody figured out easily that the girl was the atomic bomb and "humanity are all horrible monsters" pretty well.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/384113504

@38 mins. I truly hope Phil is just drunk, because his contributions are (if nothing else) rude and disruptive. "Fuck you, it's not art." "It's fast food. It's throwaway entertainment; all of it."

Fuck this egomaniacal piece of shit. Seriously. Fez was interesting, but it wasn't an amazing work of art. Listening to this asshole talk makes me sad that he succeeded in the gaming market. Fuckheads like himself deserve to rot in poverty and failure.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperFusion

@oldirtybearon: Really? Fascinating.. I wonder what makes us more honest with our words than others. Where were you originally from? Also, what was the moment where you vividly remember that happening?

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid: There was the other level of it being based around a break up, but yeah, people got that pretty quick. It just wasn't talked about in reviews and that pissed him off I guess?

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

If you really wanna know why people are so upset look at his current ranting on twitter from the past few days.

the nintendo thing? he was joking around, doesnt excuse the attitude, but dude was joking around.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By ajamafalous

@pr1mus said:

Phillipe Poisson

ahahahahha

But yeah, I really like him. I imagine people don't like him because he doesn't bullshit anyone. Says what he thinks even when it's not popular, which can be offensive to some people if they don't agree.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kortex
    Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfusion said:

Not American myself, but I imagine if you aren't around French Canadians for any extended amount of time, they can be downright brutal when they're just being honest. I don't think it's malicious in nature. I lived in Montreal for a couple of years so I got used to it pretty quickly.

Being an inconsiderate asshole is standard among French Canadians? If Mr. Fish created a game that reinvented the very idea of what a "game" is I could forgive his arrogance, but he made a limited 3-D platformer with puzzle elements. He does not get to say shit like "____ is fast food; it's throwaway entertainment."

Fez may be a fine game, but it is simple and it is throwaway entertainment. Mr. Phil Fish is a hypocritical, egomaniacal moron.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

the nintendo thing? he was joking around, doesnt excuse the attitude, but dude was joking around.

You mean the part where he blocked everyone who didn't agree with him on the subject and only repiled to people complimenting him? Then when he threw Destructoid under the bus after that?

Yea sure was a funny joke

and don't forgot his choice words of "Choke on my D*ck" and "Suck it Down"

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kortex

@contrarygravitas said:

@oldirtybearon said:

@superfusion said:

Being an inconsiderate asshole is standard among French Canadians? If Mr. Fish created a game that reinvented the very idea of what a "game" is I could forgive his arrogance, but he made a limited 3-D platformer with puzzle elements. He does not get to say shit like "____ is fast food; it's throwaway entertainment."

Fez may be a fine game, but it is simple and it is throwaway entertainment. Mr. Phil Fish is a hypocritical, egomaniacal moron.

Have heard about this new thing? It's called "sarcasm". You should try it. Can be dangerous because not everyone will understand you but it's pretty fucking funny.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

You mean the part where he blocked everyone who didn't agree with him on the subject and only repiled to people complimenting him? Then when he threw Destructoid under the bus after that?

mind giving me a specific date on when he made those tweets, just went back and looked at his feed and only saw the stuff where hes talking about how he was messing around about hating nintendo.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

The guy is a joke. When he releases a game that has any impact above and beyond Fez I will back down. Until then, he's an alcoholic egomaniac with a huge problem admitting fault. He's also just a fucking asshole.

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

mind giving me a specific date on when he made those tweets, just went back and looked at his feed and only saw the stuff where hes talking about how he was messing around about hating nintendo.

If you scroll farther you should see him saying "Oh no Destructoid has AAA journalists 5/5" and then getting into an argument with the writer of the article on twitter.

Unless he deleted it which would be hilarious

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SuperFusion
    @kortex said:

If we have the right to criticize his work, why shouldn't he be allowed to criticize our part in the creative process. The reader writes the text. And if the reader fucks up, well... then the text is fucked. You could blame the writer/artist for not delivering a good enough base for interpretation but that's a total different argument than "Jonathan Blow is full of it".

It's valid to be disappointed, but from what he was saying in Indie Game: The Movie, I have a feeling like he wanted people to see his game the way HE sees it. I think he's putting too much pressure on people to see things his way. It's normal that he sees his game in a very deep and personal level, since he's lived and breathed with the damn thing for 2-3 years. But expecting your audience to have the same deep understanding as you sets you up for disappointment.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

He blocked dudes who were throwing hate over some shit he said on twitter. I woulda told them to fuck off too. Also throwing Destructoid under a bus for posting a game developers irrelevant twitter updates as news, with a hefty dose of snark, is entirely justified.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mrfluke

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

The guy is a joke. When he releases a game that has any impact above and beyond Fez I will back down. Until then, he's an alcoholic egomaniac with a huge problem admitting fault. He's also just a fucking asshole.

im with ya on the pretentious douche remark, ill at least say that, especially coming off watching that GB gdc show.

but i dunno, havent really paid attention to the guy after the japanese games suck remark , and after watching the indie game movie and really not liking him there.

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#41  Edited By joey

@38 mins. I truly hope Phil is just drunk, because his contributions are (if nothing else) rude and disruptive. "Fuck you, it's not art." "It's fast food. It's throwaway entertainment; all of it."

Well that quote was him mocking people who say that games can't be art.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

Also throwing Destructoid under a bus for posting a game developers irrelevant twitter updates as news, with a hefty dose of snark, is entirely justified.

i fucking hate destructoid with a passion (especially jim sterling) so they get no sympathy from me either.

Sidewalkchalk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By connerthekewlkid

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

He blocked dudes who were throwing hate over some shit he said on twitter. I woulda told them to fuck off too. Also throwing Destructoid under a bus for posting a game developers irrelevant twitter updates as news, with a hefty dose of snark, is entirely justified.

When also asked why he decided to port Fez to the PC after be quoted as saying "PCs are for spreadsheets" in a reddit AMA he simply replied "For profit".

planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By planetfunksquad
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#46  Edited By Milkman

Fuck this egomaniacal piece of shit. Seriously. Fez was interesting, but it wasn't an amazing work of art. Listening to this asshole talk makes me sad that he succeeded in the gaming market. Fuckheads like himself deserve to rot in poverty and failure.

Seriously, dude? He was being sarcastic. He was impersonating people on the internet who don't think that games can be art and refuse to look at games as anything other than just popcorn entertainment.

kortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superfusion: Absolutely. Being an artist is fucking hard and brutal at times but if you don't have this passion for your work, for every single piece (especially if it took 3 years in the making) then maybe, just maybe, you are not a good artist. Jonathan Blow isn't the first and won't be the last creative mind that is obsessed with his work and his legacy. Many bigger ones even went crazy about it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By McGhee

You realize he was being sarcastic here, right?

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I don't get it either. They're both awesome. And Phil's right about Japanese games.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Ares42

He's an intense person with little to no filter. By being that way you're bound to piss off people from time to time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.