Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

The fifth entry in the Ace Attorney franchise, and the first for the 3DS.

AA5 is "ESRB: M" in NA but "CERO: C" in Japan? Seems legit.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

Is CERO secretly incredibly lax? I thought they've been pretty strict on violence and gore in the past (like in zombie games), but I guess Ace Attorney games usually just show the aftermath, and at best you see a pool of blood.

On the other hand, I know the ESRB is really weird about blood (a shooter gets a T for Teen rating, as long as no blood comes out and there is no dismemberment, even if you're blasting dudes in the face for the entire game) and any nudity whatsoever is automatically an M pretty much, but it still baffles me that this game is getting an M for Mature rating.

Unless the last case in the game is some super intense rape-murder trial, I really can't imagine that anything in an Ace Attorney game would be at all inappropriate for a 13-year-old.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 34

What are you talking about? This game is rated C in Japan. Previous games were rated either B (Ace Attorney 1 and 3) or A (Ace Attorney 2, 4)

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It could be that the game has some anime esic fan service. Like you said sexuality is like an auto M rating

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@taku128 said:

What are you talking about? This game is rated C in Japan. Previous games were rated either B (Ace Attorney 1 and 3) or A (Ace Attorney 2, 4)

Alright, my bad, basing this entirely on the Giant Bomb wiki. It lies!

The wiki currently says it is A.

Edit: And now this post is a lie, because it has been corrected.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Without going into spoiler territory, there's a certain plot point that's a much more sensitive topic for Americans than Japanese.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

Without going into spoiler territory, there's a certain plot point that's a much more sensitive topic for Americans than Japanese.

THEY TRY TO TAKE AWAY PHOENIX'S GUNS!?!?!

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I do know Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne was rated CERO A in Japan and M in America, so it has happened.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bocam

@bisonhero said:

@bocam said:

You know it.

Seriously: It's because the plot features terrorism

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TruthTellah

@bocam: That may be so, but hasn't it already been established that the ratings -aren't- really that different for this game? It's a difference between an American M and a Japanese C. Both America and Japan rated it a bit harder this time.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bocam

@bocam: That may be so, but hasn't it already been established that the ratings -aren't- really that different for this game? It's a difference between an American M and a Japanese C. Both America and Japan rated it a bit harder this time.

A C is for 15 and up. It's a darker Ace Attorney game

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TruthTellah

@bocam said:

@truthtellah said:

A C is for 15 and up. It's a darker Ace Attorney game

Exactly. It's getting a higher rating than previous titles in every region. So, Japan goes from B to C 15+ and the US goes from Teen to M 17+. Even Europe goes up to PEGI 16+.

It isn't just an instance of the US being especially touchy on something in the game; every region rating the game has given it a step above the previous games. It's simply an acknowledgement of the fact that it's darker than the previous titles.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By generic_username

There are a couple of scenes in this game that are a bit more intense than the previous titles, and they also have animated cutscenes, including one where you see the guy getting killed, though it doesn't show anything harsh there.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@bocam said:

@bisonhero said:

You know it.

Seriously: It's because the plot features terrorism

I mean, it could be that? Though I think it has more to do with the gruesome scene from the final case.I could see the small kid being covered in blood, and all the related inferences that sprouted up around it, being just disturbing enough to make the violence rating more severe. Not to overplay it, but it's definitely more graphic than past games have gotten.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.