Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 25, 2013

The fifth entry in the Ace Attorney franchise, and the first for the 3DS.

Ace Attorney 5 Revealed for the 3DS

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    • Ace Attorney 5 is a 3DS title.
    • There will be a 15 minute playable demo at this month's TGS.
    • Phoenix Wright is the main character.
    • Wright's partner is a "mysterious girl who wears yellow". Will be properly introduced at TGS.
    • Set one year after the events of Apollo Justice. Wright becomes a lawyer once more.
    • The game will have 3D models like Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.

More info here.

Going from my poll, most people didn't like what they did with Phoenix Wright as a character in Apollo Justice. Maybe this will redeem him in their eyes? Surprisingly, I'm a bit weirded out that Wright's the main character and not Apollo, even though I thought this is what I wanted.

Also, it seems that Famitsu states that the game's director, Shu Takumi, might not be as involved with Gyakuten Saiban 5 as much as with the prior games because of Layton vs. Ace Attorney. Hopefully that won't make it bad or anything. And, hopefully, this sees a North American release unlike Ace Attorney Investigations 2.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King
    This is gonna put out SO many eyes.
    This is gonna put out SO many eyes.
    wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#3  Edited By wumbo3000

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGOGMOGMGOMGOMGOGMGOMGOMGO

Okay, I'm done.

But I don't really understand why everyone hated Apollo Justice so much. Sure, he was kinda goofy, but wasn't Phoenix Wright exactly that too? I personally loved Wright in an advisor/mentor type role.

Sbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Sbaitso

Objection!

Melanon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Melanon

So hype. I actually really hope Apollo makes an appearance in the game, even if he isn't the protagonist anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I liked Apollo. I thought the ending was bananas. But I liked Apollo as a dude. Chords of Steel.

Raye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Raye

Can't wait 'til TGS to get more info on this. A part of me didn't think Capcom would revisit the Ace Attorney series (haha... stupid me, this is Capcpom, after all!). Fingers crossed for a localization!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    I'm finding myself more and more interested in this stuff lately, but let's say I've never played a Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney game... where should I start? 
    Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus said:

I'm finding myself more and more interested in this stuff lately, but let's say I've never played a Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney game... where should I start?

IN ORDER OF RELEASE IS AN ABSOLUTE MUST FOR THIS SERIES

That cannot be stressed enough. This series is all about the story, characters and references. It makes no sense to want to get into this series and do it in any other way. This means:

1. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice for All
    3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations
    4. Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
    5. Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations

Technically, #5 takes place between numbers 2 and 3 (I believe), but this is the order that they absolutely must be played in.

@Wraith1: Yep, made a thread about that.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus
    @FluxWaveZ: Ha, thanks. I actually like that, I appreciate a series that doesn't go out of it's way to make itself "accessible" to new players each time a new game is released.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toowalrus
    @FluxWaveZ: ...aaaaaaand on that note, I just ordered a copy of the first game on eBay. I don't know if it's a good or a bad habit, but I always pay a little bit more to avoid buying from a seller who only posts a stock photo of the game. I've been burned on counterfeit GBA games and stuff before, I paid $5 extra for a copy I can see is still in the shrink-wrap. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@TooWalrus: Any reason you didn't get it on Amazon? Regardless, enjoy that game. It's a bit dated compared to the sequels, but that really doesn't matter and I'm certain after you go through it you'll be compelled to immediately start JFA.

InfamousNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By InfamousNose

It's using 3d models instead of sprites. :(

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus
    @FluxWaveZ: No particular reason, they were the same price (if you include the $4 prime shipping on Amazon), and since I'm not in an extreme hurry (I think I've still got like 60 hours of P3 to play through), I went with the eBay copy this time.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@InfamousNose said:

And the 3D models look gorgeous.

InfamousNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By InfamousNose

@FluxWaveZ said:

@InfamousNose said:

And the 3D models look gorgeous.

After seeing the Prof. Layton Vs Phoenix Wright Trailer, I still think high quality sprites would have a better presentation (for both games).

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By jacksukeru

Well I'm excited, and finally motivated to finish AA 4 and the Miles Edgeworth spinoff.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@InfamousNose said:

After seeing the Prof. Layton Vs Phoenix Wright Trailer, I still think high quality sprites would have a better presentation (for both games).

I don't know about Layton vs. Ace Attorney since I think these models look way better than that game's, but I'm fine with it instead of sprites.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By wrighteous86

@FluxWaveZ: Wow, those models look way better than I expected. Still waiting on them to start releasing these games with real animation and voiceovers on consoles though. I want a playable cartoon, dammit!

EDIT: Then again, that might be exactly what this is.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23  Edited By veektarius

I stopped on the last case in Justice for All. I got really annoyed by his assistant in that game (Maya was bad enough, or was it maya's sister? I can't remember which one was dead), but loved the first one. But, an assistant who's actually full-grown? That might be worth playing, and be enough to get me to start up again.

InfamousNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By InfamousNose

@Veektarius said:

I stopped on the last case in Justice for All. I got really annoyed by his assistant in that game (Maya was bad enough, or was it maya's sister? I can't remember which one was dead), but loved the first one. But, an assistant who's actually full-grown? That might be worth playing, and be enough to get me to start up again.

Stick with it. The last case in Justice for all is one of the best cases in the Ace Attorney series.

Ducksworth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Ducksworth

I guess I should play these games....but they're so freaking expensive =(

I'll probably have to resort to the Wii ports or get an iOS device and wait for it there.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Can I get Ace Attorney Investigations 2 please?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#27  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Well I'm stoked. Hobo Phoenix is a lawyer again. I should really play Ace Attorney Investigations, shouldn't I?

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By YI_Orange

@ArbitraryWater: If you like Edgeworth and gumshoe(which if you don't what are you even doing playing these games) you should.

I'm so excited for this. I didn't even play Apollo Justice because fuck that guy. No Phoenix no deal. (with the exception of Edgeworth investigations).

I wish they would stop bringing back the old lady though, I strongly dislike her. Also, I hope Phoenix Wright pulls some sort of crazyness and you get to go against Manfred Von Karma again. That guy was an asshole but it was awesome.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By toowalrus

Man, Justice for All is hella expensive now. Weird.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By papercut

This makes me happy. Hope Apollo makes an appearance though. Little guy grew on me.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By The_Nubster

@YI_Orange said:

I'm so excited for this. I didn't even play Apollo Justice because fuck that guy. No Phoenix no deal. (with the exception of Edgeworth investigations).

You should play the game with him in it. Eff all the haters on him, he was a great character and that was a genuinely funny game. It might even be my favourite. The additional interrogation mechanics they introduced were awesome.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Petiew
    YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By YI_Orange

@Petiew: Oh god dammit, you're right. I totally forgot about that.

@The_Nubster: But, but, Phoenix! This is just how I am with stuff. If it was readily available to me I'd probably play it and love it. Or if I had the money I might even buy it. I just don't like main cast changes.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#34  Edited By alistercat

@YI_Orange: I think Apollo Justice is the second best Ace Attorney game in the series, so it's a shame you don't like Apollo.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#35  Edited By StarvingGamer

Hmmm, after Wright's transformation in the cool, collected badass in Apollo Justice, I don't know how I feel about him being the main character again. It would be a weird tonal shift to have the MC of an Ace Attorney game suddenly be in control all the time, but it would be a weird thematic shift for Wright to suddenly revert to his bumbling self.

Still, I can't fucking wait!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@YI_Orange said:

Haha, that's a very weird thing to say because most people agree that Apollo is relegated into a secondary character in his own game when the story actually turns out to be all about Phoenix Wright. If you're excited for this game, you should probably play Apollo Justice.

@Veektarius said:

But, an assistant who's actually full-grown? That might be worth playing, and be enough to get me to start up again.

Well, the assistant in the last case of the game you stopped playing at is, in fact, full-grown and unlike any of the others.

Though, what's interesting is that this mysterious woman who's Wright's new assistant seems to be a qualified defense attorney like he is given the badge on her lapel.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By mutha3
    @FluxWaveZ said:

@YI_Orange said:

Haha, that's a very weird thing to say because most people agree that Apollo is relegated into a secondary character in his own game when the story actually turns out to be all about Phoenix Wright. If you're excited for this game, you should probably play Apollo Justice.

Yeah. It's a little sad how almost no one seems to care. Phoenix was the Achilles heel of  AA4, and personally, I think I would have preferred a follow-up to AJ that actually gave Apollo an opportunity to develop  and form relationships with a new cast of colorful characters. Alas...

I'm really not looking forward to seeing Larry and Oldbag again.
    InfamousNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By InfamousNose

I just hope the main prosecutor is a scumbag like Edgeworth was in AA1. Apollo Justice had the worst one with Gavin practically being your friend.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By ashogo

@mutha3 said:

Those two and the fish-eyed lady are the worst. Though I love many characters in AA, those three I would be glad to never see again.

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#40  Edited By mutha3
    @ashogo said:

@mutha3 said:

Those two and the fish-eyed lady are the worst. Though I love many characters in AA, those three I would be glad to never see again.

I don't even particularly hate those characters, their shtick is just really old and overdone at this point. Hell, I'd even extend this to Gumshoe as well. Edgeworth, Maya, Phoenix even! These characters all had their arcs and we got a big, satisfying finish for all of them in Trials and Tribulations.

...I guess they could do some interesting things by setting it so far in the future, but I think I would have preferred a new trilogy with an all-new cast, new themes, new plotlines etc etc.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41  Edited By ashogo

@mutha3: Yeah, it would be a shame if AA5 doesn't do something new with its characters. I do like seeing Phoenix back, I think there are more stories which can be told with him. I like his more seasoned look, so I hope his personality has some sort of arc or progression to match.

There's always the potential for new ground to be mined with old characters, especially since this game is set 8 years after AA3, it's just a matter of whether Capcom will take that risk or just stick to safe familiar ground.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.