Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pikmin 3

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 13, 2013

Pikmin 3 stars three all-new main characters who end up on a planet full of Pikmin and various dangers. They have to coordinate to survive in this hostile but beautiful environment and taking advantage of the helpful little Pikmin (among them two new types!) might just be the only way to achieve that.

How do you like Pikmin 3?

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vikingdeath1

So I got a WiiU about 2 weeks ago, and thank goodness Pikmin came out because NintendoLand & NSMB-U Really haven't hit the spot lately.

And as for Pikmin 3..... I like how it's pretty much same old Pikmin but with alot of the little things touched up! Works for me!

Things I like so far:

-Waypoint system on your map

-Ditching the 30 day time limit, but keeping the day-long time limit

-Map on the gamepad is surprisingly useful

-the "SELECT" button switches to "Gamepad only mode"

-there is.... a story? kind of? I think? seems alright so far

-the Writing is pretty good, funny

-Fruit collecting and Juice extracting is more fun than treasure hunting from previous games. I think it's that Juice bottling animation I just really like

-RTS map view when you touch the screen and move around, it also pauses the gameplay

-Having 3 characters who can control Pikmin and being able to divide and conquer

What about you guys? having fun with it? or upset that its maybe too much of the same? I'm enjoying it so far and i'm on day 14

nutta27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

I'm on day 12 I think. Just found the captain. I am loving this game.

For clarification purposes this is my first pikmin game and I am so glad I purchased it. Finally my wii u is getting some use. It's not just a night light anymore like it has been since last October.

rempresent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By rempresent

I was too lazy to get a WiiMote out of storage (which is in the basement). I am having an awful time with the controls of just the WiiU Gamepad. The positioning of the arc seems to be a little more hot than it used to be. I do enjoy sitting in bed and playing it on just the gamepad.

Other than that, everything else has been super charming and really fun. I am excited to play through it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ch3burashka

Well done.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Well done.

Dude, I heard that shit is jerky. You might as well play the old beef. A better stool if you will.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I only played 2 hours , but I can tell this game will be amazing . Even though I wish it was more like Pikmin 2 . Just hope they don't wait another decade to release another Pikmin -_-

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

I'm loving it. It feels like a wonderful compromise between 1 and 2 with a lot of polish and craft put on top of that. I love the systematic compromises between 1's unforgiving aspect and 2's hippy dippy aspects. Love how the plot feels like a thing now and levels have interesting things about them. Love the travel to stuff, it's stupid useful. Just... Enjoying everything about it.

It's not everyday a 10 year old game gets redone and its not every time that said product gets everything right and then some. This feels like a winner.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Niceanims

I don't like the changes to the sound design. The creatures in the first two games sounded a lot more... musical. That's the best way I can describe it. They sounded much more distinct, at least.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoy it a lot but I just get so much anxiety from leaving pikmin behind. I have to restart if I forget some or they don't make it back in time.

....I don't know if I can do this....

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy it a lot but I just get so much anxiety from leaving pikmin behind. I have to restart if I forget some or they don't make it back in time.

....I don't know if I can do this....

Don't look at this! https://vine.co/v/hbwaBi32XVB (my phone autocorrected Pikmin to Pokemon)

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

This is my first Pikmin. I'm really enjoying it. It was a little overwhelming at first because I'm not really into strategy games, but it's pulling me in. Really beautiful and fun to play.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

As others in this thread, this is also my first pikmin. It is really solid. The characters and the world are great. I am on Day 20 and have spent 2 day and close to 200 pikmin fighting the sand worm boss thing. I am not very good at the boss fights but I like that their heath stays gone when you return after leaving.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As others in this thread, this is also my first pikmin. It is really solid. The characters and the world are great. I am on Day 20 and have spent 2 day and close to 200 pikmin fighting the sand worm boss thing. I am not very good at the boss fights but I like that their heath stays gone when you return after leaving.

Use a bomb and chuck it in the sandworms mouth. Also I really really like this game but it really doesn't hold a candle to 2 which really disappoints me. The lack of dungeons the fact that during boss fights time continues at its normal rate, hell how easy most of the bossfights are. You just don't lose 50 pikmin at a time anymore like you used to the max I lost in one go was my own fault with a bomb. It just feels like two steps forward and one step back for everything new i like about the game I find something I hate. Hell why did they get rid of c-stick style control the fact that i have to chuck 100 of the little bastards every time is insane.(Yes I know to ungroup them and about half will go the right way but really. It's a great game undeniably but its still no Pikmin 2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BisonHero

@haruko: Pikmin 2 is no Pikmin 1. I still think the game doesn't feel like it has much purpose when you transition from day-limit to no-day-limit. Instead of there being a tension between recovering parts or harvesting Pikmin (the classic RTS tension of "do I go to war with the army I've got, or do I continue faffing about building up resources and units"), there's kinda just nothing. The dungeons were a neat sort of replacement (instead of constraining your time, they remove your ability to retreat to your onions, forcing you to forge onward even if you've lost some Pikmin), but going through floors upon floors of basically nothing but combat was super tedious, even if some of the bosses were alright. The overworld is still where the Pikmin series really shines, so Pikmin 2's dungeons (with sometimes nonsensical themes like toy box) didn't really do anything for me.

Anyway, Pikmin 3 looks fine, but the series is shaping up to be another Zelda/Mario Kart, by which I mean "you may as well just play one game in the series, because Nintendo seems deathly afraid of changing it from year to year. And also that first game is probably the standard by which you will judge all other entries of the series".

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

one thing I really don't like is how I can't walk and aim pikmin at the same time on the Gamepad, or am I wrong about that?

Like I just wanna use that damn right stick to Aim! I guess Wiimote & nunchuck would fix that, but I also really like the map view on the gamepad so i'm torn.

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BamSaidTheLady

@haruko: You can lock on and shake the nunchuck to make all your Pikmin charge.

alanm26v5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By alanm26v5

I played 1 and 2 on the Gamecube, and hearing that the best way to play is with a Wii Remote puts me off a little. Also I didn't like managing 2 different characters in 2, and there's 3 to swap between now? I do like hearing there aren't dungeons in 3 though. I'm sure I'll pick this up at some point since I already own a Wii U.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vikingdeath1

is there any way to do that with the gamepad?

BamSaidTheLady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BamSaidTheLady

@vikingdeath1: I think it's the B button after you lockon. And I read that you can press R to move the cursor around on the gamepad.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Haruko

@vikingdeath1 said:

@bamsaidthelady said:

Shake the gamepad (Why the hell did they think this was a good idea?)

Edit:

Also beat the game last night with all items found and yeah kind of bummed thats it. Pikmin 2 took me like 40 hours to collect everything. While this took a grand total of 8 and a half hours. I still have the challenge rooms to do and there at least they have purple and white pikmin.

Avatar image for deactivated-5985ee6460d86
    deactivated-5985ee6460d86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my first Pikmin and I'm loving it for sure.

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cbarnes86

This game is definitely one that I watched videos and thought "I'm not sure I want a game this involved right now." After playing for about 4-5 in game days, I'm hooked and it isn't as overbearing as it looks. The coop is really fun as well, unfortunately there is only 10 coop missions. Unless more open up later on, it would be cool to see some DLC down the road.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haruko said:

@vikingdeath1 said:

@bamsaidthelady said:

Shake the gamepad (Why the hell did they think this was a good idea?)

Edit:

Also beat the game last night with all items found and yeah kind of bummed thats it. Pikmin 2 took me like 40 hours to collect everything. While this took a grand total of 8 and a half hours. I still have the challenge rooms to do and there at least they have purple and white pikmin.

I didn't know you could shake it to do that. The game told me to lock on and press B I believe... that works as well.

This is my first Pikmin game and I feel stressed out all the time. I feel like I'm having a hard time finding fruit and I'm frequently running out of day time before I finish tasks. I'm only at the part where Alph and Brittany get separated when they go search for the captain tho.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.