Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pikmin 3

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jul 13, 2013

Pikmin 3 stars three all-new main characters who end up on a planet full of Pikmin and various dangers. They have to coordinate to survive in this hostile but beautiful environment and taking advantage of the helpful little Pikmin (among them two new types!) might just be the only way to achieve that.

Pikmin 3 to be debuted at E3 for the Wii U.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Phatmac

Gameinformer has confirmed that Pikimin 3 will be at E3 for the Wii U. After several teases it seems that Nintendo will finally show a sequel that fans have been waiting for. What do you guys think about this?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By Hailinel

I'm interested to see how Pikmin 3 makes use of the new controller.

Ping5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ping5000

Make it more like the first one -- more puzzle-solving, multi-tasking, tension from being on the clock -- and I will have at least one fuck to give.

icicle7x3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By icicle7x3

Soon the slaughter will begin again!

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By spankingaddict

There isn't one game out there that I want more than Pikmin 3 !!!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I bet it'll get some great use out of that new Dreamcast inspired controller.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Phatmac

@MooseyMcMan: Brings back memories don't it?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Phatmac: THE DREAM WILL NEVER DIE!

I'm still hoping for a surprise reveal at E3 that the real name is Dreamcast II: Dream Harder, and that Sega is co-publishing, and all the great series are coming back! Shenmue III, Seaman, Sonic Adventure 3 (the fabled 3D Sonic game that is genuinely good)...

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Phatmac

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Phatmac: THE DREAM WILL NEVER DIE!

I'm still hoping for a surprise reveal at E3 that the real name is Dreamcast II: Dream Harder, and that Sega is co-publishing, and all the great series are coming back! Shenmue III, Seaman, Sonic Adventure 3 (the fabled 3D Sonic game that is genuinely good)...

All I need is Samba de Amigo 2!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Justin258

This is the game with a three in it that Valve is going to announce at E3.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By xyzygy

Can someone try to sell me on Pikmin 1+2? I don't really have any idea what they are or what they're about.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12  Edited By Pepsiman

@xyzygy said:

Can someone try to sell me on Pikmin 1+2? I don't really have any idea what they are or what they're about.

Pikmin 1 and 2 are probably the only two console RTS games that have done right to the genre. I know that's not necessarily saying much given the extremely dubious history of that particular subset of games, but Nintendo figured out how to combine very fundamental genre principles like resource gathering and mass unit management with more action-adventure elements in such a way you don't feel constrained by the controls like you normally would in more literal conversion of RTS gameplay to a console format. A lot of it probably has to do with how the Pikmins' AI is somewhat context sensitive (ie: they're smart enough to know what you want them to do if you just throw/lead them in a certain direction), but it's also just a generally mellow game to play in execution.

Pikmin 1 is therefore about taking all of that and contextualizing it in a sort of survival scenario where you've crash-landed on the Pikmins' planet and need to retrieve at least a sufficient number of parts within 30 days of game time with their help. If you don't, your life support systems will give out and you'll just die stranded on the planet. Since each day has an actual time limit (I think it's 15 to 20 minutes), the game quickly becomes a matter of how effectively you can utilize the different Pikmin types and break them off into groups so that they can work independently and achieve various goals simultaneously. A lot of people contend that the clock added unnecessary tension, but since you don't need all of the parts to complete the game, I'd argue that's kind of a moot point; the mechanics aren't all that complex and unless your time management skills are completely terrible, you should have a decent amount of time to spare, even on your first run. I actually really like the daily time limit (the idea is that the monsters will otherwise overrun you and your Pikmin at night) precisely because you're forced to make the most of your limited resources. When you get really good at that aspect of the game, it's a really gratifying feeling.

Pikmin 2 features largely the same gameplay, albeit without the clock and with the addition of a second character with whom you can switch control at any given time to make group management easier. Instead of collecting rocket parts to escape the planet, you're instead collecting objects strewn about the world in an effort to sell them and pay off your company's debt. There are some setting changes and a few new Pikmin types that change up how the gameplay operates in a few places, but it largely plays in a matter similar to the first, which is hardly a bad thing. The lack of a clock is reason enough for many people to like 2 more than the original game, but I think it just results in a different sense of pacing than an outright better game (which isn't to say that the new pacing is bad), although some people would probably argue with me on that.

2 tends to be a pretty difficult game to track down in brick-and-mortar stores given the really low print run it got, but the original game can be found for pretty easily and cheaply for both the Wii and GameCube. I personally really enjoy the games, but I don't know if I've done a good job of explaining their appeal. Given how often the series is put on the sidelines in terms of prominence as a Nintendo franchise, it's probably not really for everyone, but I'd still personally suggest at least giving the first game a shot.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By xyzygy

@Pepsiman: Oh wow. And to think I have a copy of Pikmen 2 sitting around at home somewhere, untouched. I will definitely have to give them a shot... Not sure if I like the idea of the clock from Pikmin 1 but if it's cheap and easy to find I probably try it out. Thanks for the fleshed out response!

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Ben_H
    I will be buying a Wii U now. The Pikmin franchise is one of my all-time favourites.  There's something so satisfying about the Pikmin games that just isn't replicated in many other games.  There are 3 franchises that I would buy a platform for, Forza, Pikmin, and Viva Pinata.

I wonder if they still have the Duracell license? 

I always got attached to my purple and white Pikmin in Pikmin 2 because they were always so hard to find.
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By Hizang

Man forget Pikmin 3 where is Little Kings Story 2!

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By ZenaxPure

@Hizang: The vita.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#17  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Nice! Might have to get the new Wii quicker than I thought then. Not because I am a fan of the first ones, as I never got to play them. But because... I never got to play them and I always really wanted to. Hope it turns out good.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Vexxan

Been waiting far too long for this game, hopefully it'll live up to my ridiculous expectations.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Contrarian

@Hizang said:

Man forget Pikmin 3 where is Little Kings Story 2!

@Zenaxzd said:

@Hizang: The vita.

That is a port, sort of isn't it? Same game, different graphical style. ANd yes, Little King's Story 2 on the WiiU would be freakin' awesome.

@xyzygy said:

They are so good, I have both Gamecube games AND both updates for the Wii. Try them, you will not be disappointed ....... well, you might be disappointed, but that would mean you just don't like games. I digress. Play them.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#20  Edited By alistercat

If it is anything like Pikmin 2, no thank you.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#21  Edited By Pepsiman

@xyzygy said:

@Pepsiman: Oh wow. And to think I have a copy of Pikmen 2 sitting around at home somewhere, untouched. I will definitely have to give them a shot... Not sure if I like the idea of the clock from Pikmin 1 but if it's cheap and easy to find I probably try it out. Thanks for the fleshed out response!

No problem. Most people would argue that 2 is the more refined game and I'd say that if you've already got that game anyway, it's not so drastically different from 1 that you'll miss out on much if you just stick with 2. It's probably the fuller game in terms of the amount of content it has, at least. I'm definitely in the minority when it comes to liking that clock mechanic and it's not a huge loss to see it gone from 2 as that sort of person anyway.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#22  Edited By jacksukeru

I totally missed this series and while I'm not that interested to go back and muck around with the previous installments at the moment, I'll gladly keep an eye on this third entry to see if it is worth my time.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Winternet

I remember people yelling all the time for a new Pikmin game. You happy now?

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By ZenaxPure

@Contrarian: I am not sure if port is the best way to describe it. The little king story wiki describes it as a re-imagining with an entirely brand new story and brand new gameplay mechanics... Butttt I never played the first (yes I know I am a bad person) so I don't have a huge knowledge base of the game.

But uh yeah, Pikmin! That's cool. I never played the second game (because I am a bad person again) but I would totally buy a Pikmin 3.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By dtat

@believer258 said:

This is the game with a three in it that Valve is going to announce at E3.

You are a terrible person. (but I LOL'd)

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CountMacula

@AlisterCat said:

Really? I never played either of the first two Pikmin games (didn't have a GC, never heard if the wiimakes were any good or not), but I was always under the impression that the second game was extremely similar to the first? What were the major changes that ruined it?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By alistercat

@CountMacula said:

@AlisterCat said:

Really? I never played either of the first two Pikmin games (didn't have a GC, never heard if the wiimakes were any good or not), but I was always under the impression that the second game was extremely similar to the first? What were the major changes that ruined it?

Thank you for asking. Gameplay wise they are very similar. Pretty much the same, which is fine. It is the other things they did.

Pikmin 1 has a very particular tone. Oddly mature, calming and yet urgent as you are trying to piece together your space craft to get off this hostile alien planet. There's a bit of inner conflict as Olimar becomes attached to the pikmin but that coupled with the end of day diaries, music and natural setting gives it a serene feel.

Along comes Pikmin 2. It starts off with a far goofier tone, and plays more like they're tiny figurines in the real world and plays on the level designs being based around regular real world objects (one level theme is on a desk with massive crayons and books forming barriers and stuff). Most of the objects you are collecting for money (not rebuilding your ship this time) are bottle caps and such which feels kind of weird after building a spaceship. It just completely trashed the vibe and setting of the first game, and I feel like they made it cheap and tacky. There are some good additions like new pikmin and the whole 2 character dynamic which was interesting but the level design was worse, any sign of serenity was traded in for something slightly goofier and just wasn't as interesting. They also reuse so much from the first game in a worse way.

My biggest problem with Pikmin 2 is probably just the shift in tone, from this weird alien planet full of plant life and the unknown, which became mini people living in our world... and it felt tacky. I guess that might be closer to what inspired Pikmin in the first place but it is far less compelling. You are doing the same sort of things but everything else is different. That said, I still completed them both. Fans of the original Pikmin don't have much choice when it comes to that kind of gameplay though so I played it any way just to get my fix.

Edit: As mentioned by others though, Pikmin 2 is more developed and has way more content. Pikmin 1 is a fairly short game by design.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FreakAche

@AlisterCat said:

Although I sort of understand where the fan hatred for Pikmin 2 is coming from, I thought the game was still one of the best titles of last generation. It would be nice though if Pikmin 3 reintroduced the difficulty of Pikmin 1, although I kind of doubt that will happen.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just read your explanation, where you clarified that your issues with Pikmin 2 had more to do with the shift in tone.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By alistercat

@FreakAche said:

@AlisterCat said:

Although I sort of understand where the fan hatred for Pikmin 2 is coming from, I thought the game was still one of the best titles of last generation. It would be nice though if Pikmin 3 reintroduced the difficulty of Pikmin 1, although I kind of doubt that will happen.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just read your explanation, where you clarified that your issues with Pikmin 2 had more to do with the shift in tone.

If I viewed them independently I bet I would look on Pikmin 2 much more favourably. playing them back to back though, I just didn't like it as a continuation of that world and that journey. Hopefully they can reintroduce Pikmin to a new generation. After all, Pikmin was 2 consoles ago.

CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By CountMacula

Did anyone play the wiimakes of the first two games? I recall that when the Wii was first shown, Pikmin 3 was quite high on everyone's lists as being really well suited for the controller, how did that pan out with 1 & 2?

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WalkerD

@AlisterCat: You are a crazy person. The changes made to Pikmin 2 regarding tone were fine, and it arguably has the best in-game advertising in any game ever. The tone didn't even shift that much considering it's heavily implied that everyone on Earth is long dead.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FreakAche

@WalkerD said:

@AlisterCat: You are a crazy person. The changes made to Pikmin 2 regarding tone were fine, and it arguably has the best in-game advertising in any game ever. The tone didn't even shift that much considering it's heavily implied that everyone on earth is long dead.

Pikmin is possibly the best post-apocalyptic video game series of all time haha!

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RandomHero666

Oh my fucking shit..I need to buy a Wii

Avatar image for fetchthedubliners
    FetchTheDubliners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AlisterCat: Are you dence?! PIkmin 2 was like one of the best games on the gamecube. Hence why its 60 bucks too buy still.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By blueinferno

If it's a launch title, I'm buying a Wii U on day one.

blueinferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blueinferno

@AlisterCat: What's not to like about Pikmin 2?

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BBQBram

I like both for different reasons. The first is a lot shorter and more concise, designed in an elegantly tight manner which reduces the replay value as you can basically have the game "down" and rush through it fairly easily; the sequel combats that by just being a huge collect-a-thon with more levels, randomly generated dungeons and a huge list of stuff to collect. It also had head-to-head multiplayer which I remember being surprisingly fun and frantic. And I agree about the tone thing, it's still a fun world in the second but the first one was so surreal, it had a slight air of childlike mystique or even mysticism, the strange planet and indeed the serenity. The whole split in tone is best characterized by the premises. Pikmin, loneliness in space, discover a new world, survive, discover, co-exist, co-operate and eventually leave (or not, without spoiling the alternate ending); Pikmin 2, bring your co-workers along and loot the shit out the place!

Really negated the ending to the first one, like the Pikmin had grown as a species and Olimar could go back home, both were really thankful to each other and understood...then he came back with the corporation, enslaved and overbred them into a money-making slave army for their personal gain. I hope Pikmin 3 has the more pure-hearted, adventurous tone from the original game. 

And if there's one (launch?) game to validate that controller it'd be this.

awadnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By awadnin

@blueinferno said:

If it's a launch title, I'm buying a Wii U on day one.

Me two, I hope pikmin will be launch title :)

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#39  Edited By LordAndrew

@FetchTheDubliners said:

@AlisterCat: Are you dence?! PIkmin 2 was like one of the best games on the gamecube. Hence why its 60 bucks too buy still.

@blueinferno said:

@AlisterCat: What's not to like about Pikmin 2?

Have both of you read his explanation? If so, do you have any more specific question to ask about his opinion?

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By spankingaddict

Games like Pikmin is why I love Nintendo so much ! Even though they aren't doing so well currently

PIKMIN ! :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.