Pillars of Eternity (codenamed Project Eternity) is an isometric viewpoint, party-based RPG meant to be a spiritual successor to the Infinity Engine games such as Baldur's Gate and is developed by Obsidian Entertainment. Players will quest through an original fantasy world based on roughly 16th century medieval technology levels, where magic and power is determined by the quality of a person's soul.
Obsidian's stated goal is to create an experience reminiscent of classic Infinity Engine franchises, such as Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment, and Baldur's Gate.
The game will be built on the Unity 4 Engine and released on Windows, Mac, and Linux platforms.
Mods will be supported.
Players will be able to create a player character, selecting from several races and assigning them one of the following classes: Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Priest, Monk, Ranger, Druid, Barbarian, Paladin, Chanter, or Cipher. The player may gather a party of up to 6 companions. All party members are fully controllable by the player.
The gameplay will be presented from an isometric angle through 2D rendered backgrounds, with 3D character models layered on top. The combat will take place in real-time with pause.
The game will include a crafting and enchanting system to create custom items.
There are eight recruitable companions that you can find in the Eastern Reach.
|Name||Class / Race||Found in|
|Aloth||Wizard / Wood elf||Gilded Vale|
|Durance||Priest / Meadow human||Magran's Fork|
|Edér||Fighter / Meadow human||Gilded Vale|
|Grieving Mother||Cypher / Meadow human||Dyrford Village|
|Hiravias||Druid / Hearth orlan||Stormwall Gorge|
|Kana Rua||Chanter / Island aumaua||Caed Nua|
|Sagani||Ranger / Boreal dwarf||Woodend Plains|
|Pallegina||Paladin / Avian godlike||Ondra's Gift ,Defiance Bay|
You can also hire up to eight custom adventurers that can be created at any inn. These characters can be any class / race and start at any level less than or equal to the player characters level.
On September 14th, 2012 Obsidian launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund the game. The campaign is scheduled to end on October 16th, 2012. They surpassed their funding goal of $1.1 million after 27 hours with the contribution of their 26,888th backer. After reaching the base goal they announced several stretch goals:
- 1.4 million - New playable race, class, companion.*
- 1.6 million - Mac and Linux version and new quest, NPC, location*
- 1.8 million - More playable race, class, companion*
- 2.0 million - Player house*
- 2.2 million - New region, faction and another companion, language translations*
- 2.3 million - Expert mode, Ironman mode, Path of the Damned mode*
- 2.4 million - Crafting and Enchanting systems*
- 2.5 million - Barbarian and Cipher classes*
- 2.6 million - Adventurer's Hall*
- 2.7 million - Addition of Paladin and Chanter classes*
- 2.8 million - George Ziets, the creative lead and core writer for Mask of the Betrayer, will join the project*
- 3.0 million - Stronghold, along with related content such as quests and surrounding environment*
- 3.5 million - Second 'big' city, similar to Athkatla in Baldur's Gate series*
- 4 million - Live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary and enhance the Whole Game.*
In addition, a mega-dungeon has been announced called The Endless Paths of Od Nua, with each additional 2500 Kickstarter backers above 50,000 contributing to the creation of an additional level to the dungeon.
The Kickstarter ended on October 17th, 2012 after raising $4,163,208 (including Paypal) from 77,667 backers.
For more information see the dedicated Kickstarter page.
- OS: Windows Vista 64-bit, OS X 10.6.3 Leopard 64-bit, Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i3-2100T @ 2.50 GHz / AMD Phenom II X3 B73
- Memory: 4 GB RAM
- Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 or NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
- Hard Drive: 14 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card