Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

Any good for a newbie?

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I've been hearing that this is a good one of those old-school PC RPGs that is basically running Dungeons & Dragons. Since I never grew up playing those games when I was a kid, normally I'd brush this aside. But recently I've gotten back into Dragon Age Origins and I think the whole play-style of the game finally clicked with me.

Would this be a good next natural step from Dragon Age if I wanted to play another one of these D&D-esque games? I know DAO is supposed to be a heavily streamlined version of one of these games, so I'm worried the learning curve will be very steep.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c295850623f7
    deactivated-5c295850623f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pillars of Eternity is also a very streamlined one of those games so you'll be fine. Mechanically it's fairly straight forward and is fairly linear all things considered.

Just know going in that the battle system is more fiddly than it needs to be. Still a good fun time though.

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PoE is a pretty good starting point IMO, although some of the online resources are outdated since patches (most recently 3.0) changed up lots of skills and the like

You don't need to worry a ton about min-maxing and party optimization on normal, just go with god

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Pillars of Eternity is a lot more "human friendly" than some of the other old-school RPG revivals out there, though as an Infinity Engine vet I can't speak to its appeal among newcomers personally. If you can get through Dragon Age Origins, you can probably get through PoE without a ton of trouble.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikachops:Can't be any more fiddly than DAO's combat can be at times. While I'm getting way more out of it, I can't tell you how many times I've called Alistair a piece of shit for not protecting Wynne even when I made that his top priority for his AI.

@iodine: Awesome! I do like a bit of min-maxing, but I'd also like to be able to try stuff and make mistakes while not eventually feeling like I need to restart my save file to fix it.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crysack

PoE is much more accessible than the older Infinity Engine games - the latter of which incorporate a whole bunch of esoteric DnD concepts that aren't difficult to learn but can be overwhelming for newer players. That being said, I would still recommend going back and giving Planescape or BG2 a shot. PoE is fine, but it still doesn't hold a candle to the classics.

Relenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack: Cool. If I finish these two 80+ hour RPGs and I'm still hungering for more, I would definitely like to check out the BG games just because I've been a fan of almost everything Bioware made from KOTOR on. I'd like to see their roots.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Yep! Much more accessible than old school games such as Baldurs Gate. Great game also.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Mechanics-wise you should be more than fine if you can handle DA:O. Character progression is slightly more complex in PoE but also more open at the same time.

Just be aware that there's at least as much focus on conversations in PoE as in DA:O but most of it is purely text-based! You're going to have a hard time if that bothers you. Recording speech for everything is one of the few DO:A-innovations PoE ignores.

I'd say, go for it! PoE is awesome if you enjoy in-depth, party-based, tactical RPGs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.