Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

For those who pledged what was it that got you to?

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Genkkaku

So Obsidian have gone and broken the record beating out Double Fine for most funded Kickstarter, and I'm curious as to what it was that got you on board.. and in the end what did you get?

• You're a huge Obsidian fan
    • Was it just Obsidian making an Isometric RPG to jump on board
    • One of the Stretch goals
    • One of the Add-on Items
    • Or just the fun of being part of the highest funded kickstarter

For me I am a huge Obsidian fan, sure there games are buggy but there's just things about them that you can't help but love, even Alpha Protocol with all it's issues still had some defining systems in it.. I'm also glad that they have Tim Cain on board (Arcanum is still my favourite RPG of all time)

For the chance to let Obsidian do there thing in a genre that alot of those guys helped define is a great opportunity and being part of that is win/win for me.. I ended up adding on the Soundtrack, and Playing cards because why not.. How bout you guys?

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I didn't pledge because, as exciting as the concept is and as much as I love Obsidian in principle (and their Black Isle heritage), I don't have enough faith in them to deliver what they are promising at this stage as there have just been too many lofty goals tinged with disappointment along the way.

I hope, truly, that this game is amazing, and I'll be there on day one if it is...but I'm just not confident enough to be there on day -1, if you know what I mean.

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By DriveupLife

I pledged in the last twenty four hours because my fond memories of New Vegas kept returning to my head as I saw the clock count down. I loooooooved New Vegas, its my favorite game ever, and I'd love to support those guys. I bought in for 25 bucks. Plus, I'm a sucker for the kickstarter exclusive in game items that other people won't be able to get (makes me feel good in a bad way haha).

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Genkkaku

@Tim_the_Corsair: Yeah, I do have a similar feeling that they be over-reaching in what they have planned to do, and it all falls flat.. But in the end I hope not, I hope that they prove everyone wrong and deliver the experience that we can see they do want to deliver..

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By xxNBxx

For me it was all about the fact that is was an isometric RPG. Made by (some of ) the same people that had a hand in making some of the best ever. I got in as soon as I could. (which was a week after the kickstarter started because I had to wait for my pay check.)

I added the xpac.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Karkarov

It is Obsidian (aka the majority of what was Black Isle) making a game like the old Black Isle games. I loved those games so supporting this one seemed like a no brainer. Also in all honesty I have enjoyed every game they have ever made (that I played anyway) so that seems like a pretty solid group of people to deliver a game I will like. Heck at least one of the games they were involved in once upon a time would make it into my top 10 games "period" list at this point.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scrawnto

I like Isometric RPGs, and these guys have deep roots in the genre. I also liked the sound of their fantasy setting, and its fairly original spin on the relationship between gods and mortals. Finally, I was really curious what the Infinity Engine would look like if it was developed today, which seems to be what they are aiming for if the screenshot they released is anything to go by.

I'm more excited about Wasteland 2, to be honest, but I think this could be pretty cool too. And both have Chris Avellone doing writing!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#8  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The second they said "We want to make a game that is like the best of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment all combined together" I was on board. Sure, making lofty claims like that is a sure way to bring disappointment, but they're the only studio with the talent to even be able to try at this point. Also, if they screw up this time we'll know it was actually their fault, instead of the constant and various cases of publisher interference in... pretty much everything else they've ever made.

bucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bucifer

Even if they don't deliver on what they promised, it's still going to be a good game, I have faith in the guys at Obsidian. How could I not give them my money?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By audioBusting

Huge Obsidian fan and trust them enough to make a good RPG. It sounded like a good investment.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By BoG

Because I'm an idiot. I've never played an Obsidian game. I own a bunch of CRPGs, and I've half completed Planescape, though I'm still working on it. I love the idea of these games. They have so much more depth than today's RPGs. I want the depth and concepts of yesterday's role playing games, presented in a more modern way. Grimrock is an excellent example of this. I always loved the idea of dungeon crawlers, but they were so hard for me to get into. I jumped on Grimrock, and fell in love. I've completed it twice on road trips. The same goes for Etrian Odyssey.

So, when they promised a modernization of classic gaming, I was interested. My paying for the game a year in advance means more content, so I decided I would trust them.

As I type this, I realize that I have no trouble getting sucked into old RPGs, like NetHack. I'M JUST A SPENDTHRIFT OKAY?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By abendlaender

I love Obsidian. Yeah, their games are buggy as hell. Yeah Alpha Protocoll wasn't THAT great. But fuck it, I like Kotor 2 more than 1 (yes, I said that. Try and stop me). Neverwinter Nights 2 was great and Fallout New Vegas was better than Fallout 3 in every way shape or form. I also enjoyed Alpha Protocoll but it is by far their worst game.

Also I love CPRGS. So, this seemed like a fairly good idea to me.

Although I was (and still am) a bit disappointed that it's "just" a fantasy game. Why are there not more Sci-Fi RPGs? Well, CD Project has their conference today right? I'm excited for Cyberpunk

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By octaslash

It was the cloth map. It's always the cloth map.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Genkkaku said:

It was.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By kagato

@Scrawnto said:

I like Isometric RPGs, and these guys have deep roots in the genre. I also liked the sound of their fantasy setting, and its fairly original spin on the relationship between gods and mortals. Finally, I was really curious what the Infinity Engine would look like if it was developed today, which seems to be what they are aiming for if the screenshot they released is anything to go by.

I'm more excited about Wasteland 2, to be honest, but I think this could be pretty cool too. And both have Chris Avellone doing writing!

Isnt Obsidian also helping with Wasteland? Im sure it was one of the stretch goals that was met, it would be fun to see some of the characters cross over.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Scrawnto

@kagato said:

@Scrawnto said:

Isnt Obsidian also helping with Wasteland? Im sure it was one of the stretch goals that was met, it would be fun to see some of the characters cross over.

They are, but I think Chris Avellone is the only one doing writing or design for Wasteland. Mostly Obsidian is just working with inXile on tools.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaLe

Well, nothing in particular. I just wanted them to be able to spend time working on a game they want to make. It'll just be a bonus if I enjoy it when it comes out.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By development

well i didn't know about it until it was over, but i would have pledged for Planescape: Torment and Chris Avellone. and hey you should play Planescape if you haven't yet

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeanFoster

I pledged because it's an Obsidian game. I'm a pretty big fan of their games, I knew I'd buy it one way or another so I consider my pledge a down payment.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The fact it's Obsidian developing it and that they're making an old school RPG with no publisher interference, which was undoubtedly the cause of the "unfinished state" of most of their recent games, as well as Bioware's downward spiral.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By geirr

@WinterSnowblind said:

The fact it's Obsidian developing it and that they're making an old school RPG with no publisher interference, which was undoubtedly the cause of the "unfinished state" of most of their recent games, as well as Bioware's downward spiral.

Hear hear.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#22  Edited By AndrewB

Obsidian with time and money to work on their own project and not someone else's. I don't think any Obsidian-made game has lived up to the expectations I've had for it, even if none of them have been outright bad (but all of them have certainly felt rushed and buggy as hell). This is their chance to deliver the role-playing game I've wanted to see since Baldur's Gate 2.

By the way, this is their last chance with me, because despite the talent working for them, they've yet to wow me with any of their titles. I really hope they can pull something special off with this title. I'm also starved for CRPGS since Dragon Age has taken a turn for the unknown.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HarlechQuinn

@Genkkaku said:

• You're a huge Obsidian fan

Mainly those two.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ravenlight

Because Kickstarter.

@BoG said:

I'M JUST A SPENDTHRIFT OKAY?

This, pretty much.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xyzygy

I didn't donate, but if I could have I definitely would have. Obsidian have the best writers in the gaming industry (If you asked me in 2007 I would have said Bioware), and althuogh their games are sometimes buggy they're always awesome.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By fattony12000

LET ME USE SHADOW KEEPER AND IEEP AND A HEX EDITOR.

No Caption Provided
    project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By project343

Documentary. The minute it was announced, I immediately threw down $35. It's the same reason I invested in the Double Fine Kickstarter.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kindgineer

I simply pledged because I think that they can handle that genre well and deliver something worth my original pledge. I'm not too worried about them delivering on every aspect they detailed. I also enjoy supporting the kick-starter's because I feel that this sort of thing will help enable people like myself to one day follow their dream without having to literally sacrifice everything to achieve it.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Terramagi

Guilt.

I pirated most of their games over the years. Even though I bought most of them at a later date, way I figure it I might as well make it so I can hypothetically look them in the eyes without freaking out and running away screaming.

That's my answer, Ravel, and that's all that matters.

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Genkkaku

It seems that 'Obsidian making an Isometric RPG' is the main reason people pledged and I think that's awesome, because it not only show that people are willing to vote with there wallet's when they want a specific type of game that most if not all companies would shun at the prospect of investing in it but that people have this deep seeded faith in the abitilty of Obsidian to produce a game or the willingness to allow them that opportunity..

So here's to allowing us gamers to have a say it what we want! also hopefully it's great!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By Giantstalker

This and this. Also, eighty bucks isn't a lot of money to probably get something that I've wanted for a long time.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#32  Edited By StarvingGamer

They got me in the end because of genre loyalty and what seemed like a very attainable set of goals. A modest passion project with a more-than-modest budget. It's the sort of game that I'd be likely to buy sight unseen when it comes out based on the genre and pedigree anyways. I might as well save myself a few extra bucks.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Terramagi

@Giantstalker said:

This and this. Also, eighty bucks isn't a lot of money to probably get something that I've wanted for a long time.

You do know Black Isle only published those games, right.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By xxNBxx

@Terramagi said:

@Giantstalker said:

You do know Black Isle only published those games, right.

You do know that the founders of Obsidian and a good chunk of the staff came from Black Isie studios, right.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By jay_ray

I pledged $20, I would of probably pay that for this game anyway so it was basically a preorder. Plus I want a resurgence of old school style games.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By falling_fast

I looove me some old-school isometric rpgs.

and I think obsidian makes great games.

the lack of publisher interference is also super exciting.

I pledged $165 btw.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Zekhariah

I'm familiar with the developers, and have put a few hundred hours into a few of their previous games.

Obsidian, Super Giant, iD, and Bioware are all worth at least watching for.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.