Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

Pillars of Eternity 2 teased on Obsidian's website

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Hayt

When you go to the Obsidian page you are greeted with a "mysterious" page. I say "mysterious" because if you played Pillars of Eternity you'd probably recognise the the pipe and wheat stalk as obvious reference to Edér, one of the companions from the first game and considering his relationship with Eothas, a vanished god, this is almost certainly a quote of his. Considering the reveal in the closing moments of the game that all the gods are man-made constructions the idea of Eothas returning and being pissed off this could be a real interesting set up.

Some web boffins have poked around in the code on the page and have discovered a timer and some gylphs that they think maybe spells "Deadfire", the name of a pirate filled wild island region of the Pillars world. If that ends up being correct that's a really cool and fresh setting for an isometric RPG that's loaded with potential and might bring in more people who found the mostly traditional Dungeons and Dragons style wooded setting of the first game too "vanilla" (personally I loved it, though).

I'll be keeping an eye on this as it develops but thought I might throw this as a heads up for the other people into this series.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Josh Sawyer has been pretty frank in saying that they've been working on Pillars 2, but this is still a pleasant surprise. I'm more than okay with this, and I'm more than okay with the idea of an angry god and pirates being the focal point of this sequel. For as much as I loved the first game, I wouldn't mind if they took a few more risks now that they don't have to entirely lean on the idea of making a new Baldur's Gate. For that matter, since they're not shackled to a concrete ruleset like the Infinity Engine was, I hope they've cleaned up some of Pillars' more obtuse systems.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I guess I'd better get around to the first one then.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully they don't go the way of Tyranny with MMO-style ability cool downs and such. That game was a decent romp, but a bit too streamlined for my taste. I actually like per-rest and per-encounter spells and the big list of interlocking damage types, defenses, and resistances in Pillars. I'm probably in the minority there but, hey, it's a game for a niche audience anyway. Might as well go full niche.

Ah, I see the whole "Project Louisiana is Fallout: New Orleans!" nonsense is still alive and well. Good old Internet.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I was hoping they might do something else. Didn't enjoy the first game much in any area.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Neat, enjoyed the first one quite a bit. Didn't get very far into Tyranny though, not totally sure why..

HotPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HotPie

hopefully it isnt scoped like Tyranny

The_Tribunal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frytup: Yeah the cooldowns were a bummer but I liked the idea of companion abilities. If companion abilities are employed by this game it would go a long way towards remedying the dearth of companion interactions of the first game and actually force them to flesh out the inter-companion relationships. I would love to see more stuff along the lines of the Verse-Barik interplay.

I really love the first game. I'm psyched for the sequel.

applegong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By applegong

Sawyer is one of the most thoughtful and open minded developers I've heard and read about. Good to see them try to expand on the existing IP. Wonder when he will get his historic medieval RPG off the ground, or whether it is under development.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've put about 40 hours into Playing late in two 20 hour plays. Just keep dropping off. I have enjoyed it and want to finish it though. I've been like that with isometric RPGs lately

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I like Pillars, though there are plenty of things I would have done differently with it. It's kinda ironic that they are choosing to continue with the Gods storyline, because that was one of the plot points that annoyed me most. The whole, "Are they "real" gods or made up things that are as powerful as gods" seemed like a meaningless distinction to me, and my character was a priest besides - I felt like I wasn't given dialogue options to refuse to accept the word of the exposition dump character you run into at that late stage of the game. I made her suffer for eternity instead (or something like it. I definitely wasn't nice to her). Anyway, an entire plot based around that concept sounds awful.

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I should've liked PoE 1 one so much more than I did. The gameplay was fine, but something about the writing just never clicked for me. Its hard to properly describe, but I don't look back fondly on it the way I do so many other of the modern CRPGs even though I put 70 hours into the game (got near the end of Act II, stopped playing, several months later restarted the game, got to roughly the same spot, stopped playing again).

I know one issue was that I didn't find the party member backstories that interesting, except for the angry wizard guy, and yet I spent a huge amount of time going through those with them. Also, nothing lived up to the huge amount of customization and freedom of the character creation process.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frytup

@applegong said:

Sawyer is one of the most thoughtful and open minded developers I've heard and read about. Good to see them try to expand on the existing IP. Wonder when he will get his historic medieval RPG off the ground, or whether it is under development.

Sawyer is lead on Pillars 2, so the historic game won't start production until after that's done at least. In recent comments he's said his idea has tentatively been approved by senior management so... maybe it'll happen? We'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.