Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pillars of Eternity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 26, 2015

Pillars of Eternity is Obsidian Entertainment's isometric, party-based RPG set in the new fantasy world of Eora.

Pillars of Eternity Bugwatch

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Hey, so Obsidian's newest game is out, which means two things. A) Awesome writing. B) Terrible bugs.

I'm hoping that there's nothing gamebreaking in this one, but I figured a thread to point out bugs and potential fixes would be useful.

I'll start! Has anyone noticed that the "Cultures" feature in character creation seems to be weird? It's the one where it bumps up an attribute by one point. It does that, but I've also noticed that one of my other attributes loses a point whenever I do that, like it's keeping the point balance from when you were distributing your stats. That...doesn't seem like intended behavior to me, but maybe I'm just dumb. Anyone else notice this?

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By frytup

Haven't noticed that. The only bug of note I've run into is a problem with the cursor occasionally not sticking to the game window in multi-screen setups.

Really, though... it's probably time to retire the "Bugsidian" shit. Their last couple of releases have been fine.

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beforet: It's not a bug. It's simply preset already on Aedyr (+1 res) and when you change to another culture with another bonus it swtiches the stats accordingly (like for example, if you switch from Aedyr to The White that Wends you'll see a +1 to perception and a -1 to resolution).

The only bug i encountered so far was a very minor one, the first time i went to the stronghold my character page kept scrolling down, on all my saves. I had to close the game and relaunch it and it went away

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beforet

@cagliostro88: Okay, that makes sense. Still kind of weird, but I can understand why they would do that.

@frytup: Hey, if this thread remains empty and gets buried into obscurity then I'm a happy camper. I just figured a bug thread might be of use, regardless of developer. To the game's credit, I haven't run into any actual bugs so far.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been getting a few bits of cut off VO, but nothing else as far as I could tell.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@hugh_jazz: I have that too, at least with the very first companion you get at the camp. Any short dialogue she has the VO kicks off and starts when she's on the last word or so.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reckless assault can't be toggled off, don't pick it if you are a Rogue. Only bug I have ran into so far, pretty annoying though as I had to replay 30 minutes.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frytup

@beforet: Fair enough. I'll add a link to the official forums. Reporting bugs there leads to them getting fixed.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/72439-how-to-report-an-issue/#entry1604367

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Sofar, I have spotted:

-1 typo

-voice acting breaking up and kicking back in randomly

-partymembers stopping attacking for no reason and skills not queueing properly

-funky pathfinding

Since I like to micro-manage the shit out every encounter, it's basically all good for me.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as game-breaking bugs go, this is pretty good:

Do NOT double-click inventory items to equip them. Doing so will remove passive talents and racials from your character permanently.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@crysack said:

Do NOT double-click inventory items to equip them. Doing so will remove passive talents and racials from your character permanently.

This post made me laugh.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @crysack said:

I got that bug. My main rogue character is not getting her elven resists passive bonuses.

Also got one where saving/loading sometimes makes your stat increases from temporary buffs - permanent. So now my tank has 130 deflection and near 90s of other resists ... at level 4, making him an invulnerable god basically.

I'm a lot of hours into the game and am now conflicted on continuing, the play through feels tainted :(

Shit.

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I use the mark target with my ranger he does the attack ineffective exclamation. It's not exactly game breaking but it's still very annoying.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@crysack said:

Haha, holy shit. How does that make it though QA.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I found a solution to making my tank not invulnerable anymore.

Thank god for cheat engine. Someone made a table that includes base and bonus defenses, and sure enough my bonus defenses listed were all off the charts, even with a naked character, as soon as I zeroed them his defense stats came down to normal levels.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tennmuerti
    CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CouldbeRolf

Launched the game in windowed mode in a multi monitor setup, and the game opens halfway between both screens before maximizing on my main monitor. Problem is the mouse pointer is still locked to the original position of the window, so I can't actually get my mouse cursor over to the menu.

Alt-tabing seems to fix the problem though, so mostly a minor annoyance I guess.

captainjudaism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bug I've noticed is "Cage Cursor" seems to decide when it wants to work or not. I have mine checked, because I have a dual monitor, but everytime I do a screen transition it seems to turn off the cage and wander into my 2nd screen until i go back into the options menu and un-check/check the cage cursor option again.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crysack said:

Haha, holy shit. How does that make it though QA.

It's Obsidian, that's why.

On another note, if you're getting obscenely long load times try uninstalling Hamachi if you have it. Why PoE interacts with Hamachi at all, I have no idea, but it seems to fix it for me.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Unfortunately I have run into game stopping bug which is also plaguing lots of other players. Its the dreaded loading screen crash. The game crashes when its starts loading chapter 3.
    No matter what I try it crashes. Developers are promising a patch but unfortunately it wont arrive until next week so I have to stop playing the game and wait for the fix.

Another annoying problem is that the times for saving the game have become longer and longer. At first saves were quick but after almost 40+ hours of gaming saves are starting to take 30+ seconds. Something is wrong with the saving system in this game. At least for some people.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seikenfreak

@tennmuerti: Just want to mention that the link doesn't seem to go to the topic anymore.

So, I just bought the game late last night and played for a couple hours. I noticed this bug mentioned on Kotaku when I woke up. Possibly a dumb question but how do I know if or what my original "Active Effects" were? I can't remember if I double-clicked to equip something but I know I tried double-clicking stuff at one point. My main character only has a buff on from gloves I found but other than that, everyone's Active Effects are blank. I tried loading up the earliest save I have and no one had any Active Effects. I could have double-clicked something earlier than that for all I know.

What exactly would be in the Active Effects on a fresh character? Some big list of buffs? Or is nothing here wrong on my game. I made a Paladin.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: Yea it seems to have gotten deleted. Probably because that solution and others like it are actually quite imperfect and they introduce their own issues (i've tried). So i just said fuck it and my main character is playing without her racial passive, i just gave her 2 free stat points instead (ala another races trait).

"Active effects" are only any temporary effects your character has, so just standing there naked with no buffs or magical gear you are not really supposed to have any active effects listed. (that's a different bug where active effects keep stacking after reloads, making you op)

The double clicking equip bug affects passives inherent to your character (race/class), these are listed in "Abilities". And they don't disappear, they are still listed there, the bug causes them to stop doing what they are supposed to. So for example my pale elf still has Elemental Endurance listed (amongst others) in her Abilities section, but the benefit it provides - 10DR to frost and fire is not actually working, as I can see it not reflected in my damage resists section.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Hayt

@crysack: Yikes. When you say permamently does that mean you'd have to reroll to fix it or could a patch turn it back on?

Edit: how can I tell if I have this? As a human my racial passive is Fighting Spirit and it seems to activate (there is no animation or graphic but I can see it in my active effects area and the +7 Accuracy does seem to have changed my accuracy on my page.

Also deliberately trying to have it happen by double clicking an item then looking at my stats my stats are unchanged. Still have the same attributes.

Crysack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt said:

@crysack: Yikes. When you say permamently does that mean you'd have to reroll to fix it or could a patch turn it back on?

The lead designer doesn't seem very confident that they can retroactively fix it.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hayt
    Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what triggered it but all items in my inventory are now permanently grayed out/translucent. Like if I was in combat or something. I can still move them around just fine but it's annoying. Restarting didn't fix it and I don't feel like reloading a bunch of old saves to make it go away.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@honkalot: I had that same issue for a bit, it seemed to go away by itself at some point /shrug

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So, I think I ran into that companion stat boost bug. My lvl4 Eder somehow has a Deflection of like 105 (which I'm sure can't be right...right?) and he now seems to be invincible as a result.

Seems a decent enough game, but I'll leave it for now and come back when they finish making it.

GamerChiCcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing this on my mac and I have a bug where cloaks don't show on any of the characters which is a bummer because my character portrait is wearing a cloak :/

I also had some problems with VO being cut off but that was only at the camp in the beginning of the game.

The only bug that really bugged me...heh..was the one where for some reason parts of the screen lose pixels and go black and some annoying flickering and a line appear on the screen, this usually triggers near the mill of the first town and results in that annoying garbage haunting me on the edge of my screen throughout the town until I restart the game. I got around it by finishing that area and getting the hell out and restarting the game in a new area which seemed to work.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only bug that really bugged me...heh..was the one where for some reason parts of the screen lose pixels and go black and some annoying flickering and a line appear on the screen, this usually triggers near the mill of the first town and results in that annoying garbage haunting me on the edge of my screen throughout the town until I restart the game. I got around it by finishing that area and getting the hell out and restarting the game in a new area which seemed to work.

I'm no expert but that sounds to me more like artifacting from GPU issues. How hot is your GPU when the game is running?

GamerChiCcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hayt: It does run pretty hot sometimes but the thing is, this bug only happens at that specific area and then follows me throughout the town, but when I enter houses in the town it's not there, so if it's that inconsistent do you think it still might be a GPU issue?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamerchicck: if it's only in that one spot then I guess not. Take a screenshot next time it happens and if it doesn't look like any of this it's probably something else

jacksmedulla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm now stuck in Raedric's hold, as the game crashes when I exit a room. It's a common problem and the devs say it should be fixed in the new patch, so avoid Raedric's quest until the patch is released.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rethla

@honkalot said:

I don't know what triggered it but all items in my inventory are now permanently grayed out/translucent. Like if I was in combat or something. I can still move them around just fine but it's annoying. Restarting didn't fix it and I don't feel like reloading a bunch of old saves to make it go away.

Are you sure you dont have any filter applyed? I dont have the game at hand but if i remember correctly there are like 4 filter buttons to the left of your inventory. If you select "filter armor" all items exept armor will be grayed as an example.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

I'm now stuck in Raedric's hold, as the game crashes when I exit a room. It's a common problem and the devs say it should be fixed in the new patch, so avoid Raedric's quest until the patch is released.

Yeah, Raedric's hold is super messed up. I think it has to do with all the complicated scripting surrounding the different approaches you can take in that particular quest. It's possible to edit your save game in such a way as to reset broken zones, but it ultimately took me like 3 hours to get out of there in my game.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamerchicck: I have that same bug with the cloaks.

The biggest bug for me is that Steam Cloud saves don't work between different OSs. I'd like to be able to play on my Macbook and my desktop, but I can't, which makes me not want to play the game at all until I can.

I'm actually super-bummed about this because this game looks amazing.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only bug I have run into (other than beetles like rolling off screen when I kill them or slime monsters sometimes exploding into these huge blobs when they die, both of which are hilarious) is this thing where when an ogre druid casts plague of insects on you the effect never goes away. Sometimes it even keeps doing damage WAYYYY past the time it should have stopped. A reload fixes it but it is super annoying and only seems to happen when ogre druids cast it.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

Seen a few bugs since I started. The most annoying is that if you use the focus gain items on ciphers (its there mana fuel) that they stop generating focus during combat... since am on easy, I have been able to play past this (i just have to carefully choose which spells I used, since i don't generate focus, but I do start with max focus (for some odd reason) that gets refilled after each combat event)... other than that, i have ran into a crash with the Inn in one of the towns, whenever i try to enter it, it crashes... so i can't rest in that town.

Hopefully these both get patch soon, and if only one gets patch, i hope it the cipher focus issue, since my main is a cipher.

GamerChiCcK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrinswand: Do you have that cloak bug on the mac? also that saves bug sounds like a real bummer :/

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cagliostro88

Got some characters' bugs lately:

1- The cipher only horn that is killing focus for many other players instead ended up permanently increasing the int of the Grieving Mother. I have no idea what triggered it, but apparently it kept increasing her int many times before i caught the bug so now she has an insane amount of it (46). Differently from the other bugs listed down, this happened while she was in my party.

2- The characters i never use or used sparingly got their damage reductions spiked up in a similar way. I didn't notice it until too late because i rarely switched companions (only for their quests basically) but since I'm almost at the end of act 3 i decided to get some hired adventurers to try some builds and classes, and in the meanwhile every other companion left out got a bump to their damage thresholds. Kana, which i basically neverd used the whole time but i picked up now to finally explore Od Nua, has a dt of 93...

3- The rings for casters and the talents that give you more spells per rest started acting the same way. Now Aloth can cast more than 60 spells for each of the first three levels, 36 of the 4th, and the correct amount of the last two levels. Durance can cast 17 spells per level of the first four, except for the spells of 3rd level of which he can cast more than 30.

Except for the cipher's horn, I never noticed any of these troubles before reaching lvl 12 in the third act, and have no idea of what exactly triggered them. If someone can tell me if there is a already safe to use the editor i will restore the correct stats (only my charname, since i can't leave him out of the party, hasn't suffered any bug), i'm too scared to corrupt my saves without assurances from someone else and i'm basically in the end game so it would kill me to loose all my progress. But i would also like to go through the endgame fights with my proper stats, not some superhuman hero squad.

I can only give the advice to check very frequently in the third act the stats of the companions left out of the party, if anyone notices the same bugs appearing start being very mindful about switching the party composition.

Edit: so apparently this is happening only with the Obsidian companions. I came back from a few floors of Od Nua to find that none of my hired adventurers (none of them: my rogue that i had with me since level 2 and the other 7 i created only after reaching lvl 12) had this bug and their damage threshold were fine, while in the meantime Pallegina's has risen to 112 and Sagani's to 158!! Appartenly if i want to finish this game normally i have to do it with the adventurers i made myself, and lose all dialogue interactions with the game's own companions. Can anyone that has finished already the game tell me if there is anything valuable the companions have to say in the final part of the game? (basically past Council of The Stars)

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently there is a patch set to go live in the next days fixing most of the issues, even retroactively. Here you can read the patch notes

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Apparently there is a patch set to go live in the next days fixing most of the issues, even retroactively. Here you can read the patch notes

There's an 800mb patch out now. Dunno if that's the one you're referring to or not.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cagliostro88 said:

There's an 800mb patch out now. Dunno if that's the one you're referring to or not.

Yep that patch has just rolled in and a lot of stuff has been fixed. Passives, stacks etc

Had to enable/disable Reckless Assault a few times and with reloads, but even that eventually got fixed by the patch, even tho the non-modal version was stacked several times on me. They fixed Pallegina's resists. Most unique items got new icons to set them apart from regular gear. Also all courtesans in the salty mast are now a 100g each only per session (not that it mattered if you had the stats to get your money back)

There's a lot of good fixes overall as well as some warranted tuning of spells/items.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I often have terrible fps drops at the end of combat and when the combat is completely over it freezes completely and waits for computer to respond. If I wait long enough it will figure itself out and go back to normal, but still its pretty aggravating.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

@honkalot said:

Are you sure you dont have any filter applyed? I dont have the game at hand but if i remember correctly there are like 4 filter buttons to the left of your inventory. If you select "filter armor" all items exept armor will be grayed as an example.

That was totally it, I didn't even know there were filters. :) Must have accidentally clicked one!

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I got stuck in a bush once and one of the warden bounties quests broke on me but otherwise PoE had way less bugs than the Obsidian standard.

MillaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game makes me sad. I get frequent crashing during load screens. Multiple times per hour, I'd say. Load times get kinda rough, too. Seems to get worse with the patches... This is the first CRPG of this type that I've really enjoyed, so it feels masochistic trying to play, lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.