Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pizza

Object » linked to 257 games

A popular Italian food that is often used in games to restore health as well as power up a character's stats.

Do you guys approve of 3D-printable pizza?

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

There's news around that NASA is granting money to a company to make a 3D printer capable of mixing powders together and creating food, such as pizza, in foresight of future long-term missions in space. Essentially, you take a bunch of powders that can be used by the printer to make the components of pizza. These powders have a much longer shelf life than actual food, so this kind of technology is crucial for long-term spaceflight. When you think about it, it's basically a primitive replicator.

Now, this kind of technology is going to sooner or later hit the mass market. If anyone can buy a bunch of factory-synthesized powders and turn them into food instead of relying on farmers to grow the ingredients in huge tracts of land, then that's more power to them. If this ultimately solves world hunger as well, then that's cool too. There might, however, be a stigma against food of such an artificial nature. I'm just wondering if you guys are on board with future pizza being synthesized in a factory instead of being grown in a field and then being processed in a factory. Are you ready for the pizza of the future?

P.S. I await and expect the Bomb Crew's opinion to come next Tuesday.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

My body is (hopefully) ready.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Loading Video...

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering pink slime this sounds like an improvement. I'm in.

Why isn't this a poll?

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ch3burashka

ITS MADNESS

I'm personally confused by how they'll be putting together said printed pizza. In my mind, I see it being printed as with anything 3D (and plastic, at this point) - layer by layer, which doesn't really work with different foodstuffs, their textures and tastes and densities. If what you're talking about is 3D printed dough, sausage, tomatoes/sauce, cheese, etc, and then combining all that, then I hardly see the point - pizza making is basically that at this point. It's a novelty and cool, but I fail to see the benefits, and how they outweigh the burden of printing everything rather than buying in bulk, as it has worked for last billion years.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ch3burashka: Kinda hard to go out and buy in bulk on a spaceship.

Toxeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

One step closer to Star Trek replicators. Sounds good to me.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

I'm all for 3d-printing pretty much anything. It's how we'll reproduce in the future.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

We don't even have 2D food printers yet! I want to print out flat A4 pizzas.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Dalai

Is this some sort of Xbox One feature that was announced? Because I thought that would curb any criticism of that machine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.