Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Planet Coaster

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Nov 17, 2016

A theme park simulator from Frontier Developments, the creators of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3.

Anyone else planning to pick this up?

alexrudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Seems like the Cities: Skylines of theme park tycoon games. Hopefully it holds up!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm going to hold off a little bit, see what the reviews/impressions are like. It -looks- awesome, though and all the Idle Thumbs videos on it makes it look like a game I'd really dig. I just don't have the time right now to devote to it, but would love to sink my teeth in once the winter break comes around.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll definitely keep my eye on it this weekend to see what the reception is like. I'm really interested but I'm in no particular rush. There's no shortage of games worth playing this time of the year.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#4 FinalDasa  Moderator

I'm interested in it. I loved the Roller Coaster Tycoon games and I'd love to play a modern take on those games.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Pretty much agree with everyone here. Would really love a new theme park building simulator but I don't know much about this one. I'll give it a bit and probably pick it up when it's on a decent sale.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I bought it when it was first available ages ago and its been really interesting to see it develop from a really impressive tech demo to a full management game. I was happy to pay the extra back then as I have been a fan of the genre since Theme Park on the Amiga. Now that the guests are influenced by the scenery surrounding the rides hopefully I will be able to break my habit of creating a brutalist style with nothing but paths and rides.

It will be interesting to see peoples reaction to Roller Coaster Tycoon World that Atari have released just one day earlier.

I hope Planet Coaster is successful enough to warrant expansions for it, especially for them to copy the swimming pool addon for RCT3 as for me that was the peak of the series.

If you're a fan of tycoon-y, light management building games or just ant-farm style games then I would say definitely give PC a look.

Bam_Boozilled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I first saw it I was extremely excited. Having a successor to Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 has been my dream for many years. I still have some of that excitement, but a few things I've seen have worried me. Well, mostly one thing. People that put together elaborate rides and decorations have seen massive performance issues. The game offers so many tools to unleash your creativity, but that may be limited by how much it can handle. It really worries me that there will be this soft limit on how much I can decorate my park. As I add more the performance slows. Eventually it becomes unplayable.

I saw/read about this happening a few months ago. I don't know how much they have addressed this in updates. I'm going to wait for reviews and see if this isn't as big of an issue as I worry it will be.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want it. Not sure how it performs though, heard mixed things. Suppose I could always Steam refund it if it performs badly.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thinking about picking it up in a month or so once my financials stabilize after getting my new bike. I've seen some gameplay on youtube and it looks like it would scratch that Zoo Tycoon scratch I've had for a little bit now.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#10  Edited By jaqen_hghar

Playing it as I type this. Been hankering for a tycoon-style game for a while, and was pleasantly surprised last week when I heard this was coming out. I thought it was a 2017 game.

Right away I can say that the customizability and possibilities for creativity is insane. On the first scenario there are no toilets put down, so I go to build one. All of the three styles there was quite big, so I was unable to put it down where I wanted to. That's fine, I'll just put it further in the park. But after playing a bit more I see that I can do "Custom" building. After a bit of fiddling to learn how it works I had put the entrance to the toilets (which is the only actual part of the building you need for it to be functioning as toilets) added to a pre-existing structure near where I wanted it in the first place.

In almost every other game of this type I have played you are stuck with the styles provided. At most you can change colors. Here you can make whatever the hell you like. I am not good with it, and it would be great with even more shapes and stuff, but I made this just now:

Giant Bomb Hot Dog Sandwich Stand

Sure, it took a while making it, but it shows that even someone completely new with the game can make some cool stuff. You can even download that blueprint through the Steam Workshop.

I see that some people have trouble with performance, so I will keep an eye on that. The starting park is rather small, so I haven't noticed anything yet. But I also saw that they have patched the game several times the last week, upping the performance every time.

One thing I do not like so far though is the lack of proper tutorials. They have a "Watch tutorials" button, which just links you to three videos on Youtube. But there are good prompts on the screen if you need them.

It does seem a bit lighter on the management side, and I hear it is rather easy. Sounds like it has the same problems with those things as Cities: Skylines has. Which means it seems great if you want to build something cool and nice looking, but maybe not as good if you want a difficult time managing money.

So a tentative "this is awesome!" from me so far!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I spent quite a bit of time playing the original Roller Coaster Tycoon back in the day, but little time was spent on actually building a functional theme park. It was mostly just picking up customers and dropping them in the ocean.

I really like the look of this but yeah the performance issues sound worrying.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WynnDuffy

Thinking of picking this up tomorrow night when I get home, will look at some reviews and see how it turned out. It looks amazing.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Bollard

@jaqen_hghar said:

Playing it as I type this. Been hankering for a tycoon-style game for a while, and was pleasantly surprised last week when I heard this was coming out. I thought it was a 2017 game.

Right away I can say that the customizability and possibilities for creativity is insane. On the first scenario there are no toilets put down, so I go to build one. All of the three styles there was quite big, so I was unable to put it down where I wanted to. That's fine, I'll just put it further in the park. But after playing a bit more I see that I can do "Custom" building. After a bit of fiddling to learn how it works I had put the entrance to the toilets (which is the only actual part of the building you need for it to be functioning as toilets) added to a pre-existing structure near where I wanted it in the first place.

In almost every other game of this type I have played you are stuck with the styles provided. At most you can change colors. Here you can make whatever the hell you like. I am not good with it, and it would be great with even more shapes and stuff, but I made this just now:

Sure, it took a while making it, but it shows that even someone completely new with the game can make some cool stuff. You can even download that blueprint through the Steam Workshop.

I see that some people have trouble with performance, so I will keep an eye on that. The starting park is rather small, so I haven't noticed anything yet. But I also saw that they have patched the game several times the last week, upping the performance every time.

One thing I do not like so far though is the lack of proper tutorials. They have a "Watch tutorials" button, which just links you to three videos on Youtube. But there are good prompts on the screen if you need them.

It does seem a bit lighter on the management side, and I hear it is rather easy. Sounds like it has the same problems with those things as Cities: Skylines has. Which means it seems great if you want to build something cool and nice looking, but maybe not as good if you want a difficult time managing money.

So a tentative "this is awesome!" from me so far!

Your hotdog stand is fantastic! I'll definitely be subscribing to that blueprint.

Personally, I think the game's excellent - although I might be a little biased...

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved RCT so would love nothing more than to pick this up but just don't have the PC that can run it. I had to be sensible and buy a small work laptop which is perfect for my job but just doesn't have the graphical power. One day I guess.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Super tempted, but I'm always a little nervous about games coming from early access to release without actually being finished so I've learnt to be overly cautious. Looks good though, really dig the workshop stuff to.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

That said, only just noticed it was developed by Frontier Games so that does give me a good deal of confidence in the project.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.