Planet X3 is an indie sci-fi real-time strategy game developed and published by The 8-Bit Guy for numerous MS-DOS based PCs on December 2018. It can be bought direct from here.
The sequel to the 2017 game Planet X2, Planet X3 is a personal project of David Murray (the creator of the YouTube technology channel The 8-Bit Guy) and, among numerous updates to the game's style and gameplay, features support for older MS-DOS PCs of the 1980's. It was originally crowdfunded via Kickstarter and has four "making-of" videos found on his YouTube channel.
Supported Video Modes
Low-Res (4-Color) Tileset
- CGA 4-Color (320x200)
- CGA 2-Color Monochrome (640x200) - Uses dithering.
- Hercules 2-Color Monochrome (720x350) - Added in later revisions. Uses dithering.
- CGA 4-Color Greyscale (320x200) - Added in later revisions. Unsupported on earlier CGA cards.
Medium-Res (16-Color) Tileset
- CGA Composite 16-Color (160x200)
- TGA 16-Color (160x200)
- Plantronics Colorplus 16-Color (320x200) - Added in later revisions.
High-Res (256-Color) Tileset
- VGA 256-Color (320x200)
- TGA 16-Color (640x200) - Added in later revisions. Uses dithering. Unsupported on earlier TGA cards.
- EGA 16-Color (640x200) - Added in later revisions. Uses dithering.