Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

It's out on PS4, what do you think?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I really like it. It's like a janky mix of MAG and DUST 514.

That frame rate can be a real bastard. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it doesn't.

Also I just don't know what I'm doing. I play a Medic and thankfully I read some tutorials that explained Medic is probably a good way to go for beginners and so far I've been loving it... I just don't really know what I'm doing or why. All I can really do is revive people and heal them but it feels like I'm missing the bigger picture.

The game does a really bad job of communicating things to new players, and of course by bad job I mean not at all.

Because the game never ends(And if it does, I haven't seen it) it leads to some pretty interesting experiences. I was pretty much the lone medic in a huge siege from the purple guys and it got pretty fucking hectic. People were dropping from sniper fire, sneaky snakes were getting in the base and blowing us up, and over the ridge we can see roughly 30 tanks fast approaching. After about 35 minutes we repelled the assault and turn tabled the purps and stole their base. It was a blast. I made a lot of XP during that one.

It's not very fun when it happens to you, though.

What about you guys? Have you played it yet? Did you even know it was out on PS4?

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have an extensive history with it on PC that left me with certain...impressions about its direction and future. Judging by your comments, I don't feel a particular need to try the PS4 version. I do have a question, though: within the last year they had added a 'test fire' range where you could try out any weapon for free. Is that still there in the console version? How's the map interface, does it use touch controls or just stick+buttons?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crembaw said:

I have an extensive history with it on PC that left me with certain...impressions about its direction and future. Judging by your comments, I don't feel a particular need to try the PS4 version. I do have a question, though: within the last year they had added a 'test fire' range where you could try out any weapon for free. Is that still there in the console version? How's the map interface, does it use touch controls or just stick+buttons?

There is no firing range in the game so far.

The interfaces are all pretty bad. It took me a while to understand anything about them. I'm still sort of confused by it all.

It's just stick and buttons. The touchpad just brings up the map.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of screen tearing in this game.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deathstriker

@n7: On PC I'd say it's "okay for a F2P game". Other ones like Loadout, Smite, and Path of Exile are way better IMO. It's okay to play for a week or so then keep it moving.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I had played Planetside 2 a little bit on PC earlier this year and never really got into it. Played the PS4 version at a friend's house, and holy cow, that frame rate is all over the place. They should have just locked it at 30, instead it seems to fluctuate willy between sub-30 and somewhere around the high 50's depending on what is on screen and how many characters are being displayed, complete with excessive screen tearing. I admit I only played it for about five minutes though, but man, it needs a patch big time. V-sync and a 30 FPS cap with some motion blur may be a good idea.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just spent some time today playing it because the Evolve (this game is amazing, by the way) servers were having issues, and I found myself enjoying it in spite of it's general weirdness. There's some control wonkiness, the framerate is bonkers, bringing up a menu is a latency nightmare, I have no idea how to throw my grenade, I constantly have to remind myself what I'm supposed to do, but jetpacking over a wall blowing three defenders away is still a lot of fun. I can't really recommend it, but don't not try it. Make of that sentence what you will.

Oh, and it takes a long time to earn any currency.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb said:

I had played Planetside 2 a little bit on PC earlier this year and never really got into it. Played the PS4 version at a friend's house, and holy cow, that frame rate is all over the place. They should have just locked it at 30, instead it seems to fluctuate willy between sub-30 and somewhere around the high 50's depending on what is on screen and how many characters are being displayed, complete with excessive screen tearing. I admit I only played it for about five minutes though, but man, it needs a patch big time. V-sync and a 30 FPS cap with some motion blur may be a good idea.

I get the idea they are doing some kind of "fresh start" on PS4 where it won't be on par with PC in terms of content and options for a whiiiiiile. But yes, a stable framerate would be ideal.

I just spent some time today playing it because the Evolve (this game is amazing, by the way) servers were having issues, and I found myself enjoying it in spite of it's general weirdness. There's some control wonkiness, the framerate is bonkers, bringing up a menu is a latency nightmare, I have no idea how to throw my grenade, I constantly have to remind myself what I'm supposed to do, but jetpacking over a wall blowing three defenders away is still a lot of fun. I can't really recommend it, but don't not try it. Make of that sentence what you will.

Oh, and it takes a long time to earn any currency.

You press L1 and R1 at the same time to throw your grenade.

As for generating currency, I think it depends on how good you are. For example, you can crank out some serious shit with a medic. As long as you're in the trenches reviving and healing and dying with your people it seems to earn you some money quickly.

I honestly hope this game irons out over time. I like what's here but it's just too janky and incomplete to last.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Meh, the guns are boring and you have to grind to get to the interesting stuff. Also you're made of paper meche.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, the guns are boring are you have to grind to get to the interesting stuff. Also you're made of paper meche.

You are made of paper meche and the enemies are made out of adamantium bullshit.

I hate it when you get the drop on someone before they even know you're there and bam, shot shot shot. NOPE. BULLETS MAKE ME STRONGER. Goddamnit.

So far the biggest and worst part of this game are people who run from medics. "Hey I've got one hit point left on me and this guy is trying to give me more! FUCK THAT TIME TO RUN AROUND LIKE THAT TIME I GOT MY HEAD STUCK IN THE TOILET". Come on guys. If you're going to run at least run WITH me.

Being a medic is tough. It's recommended for newbies because you get lots of Certs pretty quickly but, as they say, war is hell.

Honestly though, and maybe I'm just a dingus here, but there's not even really that much in the game to grind for so far. I've heard people say it's pretty grindy but I maxed out my medic stuff around rank 12. Now it's just misc stuff like a better gun and attachments. You can get Certs pretty quickly by switching it up every now and then. I got like 10 in about 10 minutes by healing and reviving a bunch, then dying and going on a 20 killstreak with a Max. If you aren't really doing much it can take some time to get Certs.

Oh and what's up with all the team killing in New Conglomerate? These people don't even give a fuck. Watch your heads, fellas.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Isn't there a rank 30 vehicle or something?

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@n7: Isn't there a rank 30 vehicle or something?

I think so. There's the regular tank and the "super beefy" tank is around level 30 somewhere. I think some stuff unlocks at around level 22 as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

If you dislike this game so much why do you keep playing it?

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's a colorblind thing but In the midst of a chaotic battle I sometimes find it incredibly hard to distinguish enemies from allies. Which is prpbably why I sometimes accidently TK allies and don't react fast enough when I surprise encounter an enemy.

No idea who came up with the two buttons to throw a grenade, wish I could change the controls a bit.

That being said, I am having a good time with the game despite some misgivings. Currently Lvl 12 and leaning a lot toward playing Infiltrator or Heavy Assault. But I'll go for anything really given the situation.

Pogman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The UI is a mess, the base designs suck since they're massive but have barely any indoor plan, the shooting feels super floaty and weak, it's hard to judge how much damage you're taking and the weapons are boring. I prefer Planetside, a much better game even now...

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 26

How populated are the servers? Does it share population with the PC version or does it have its own batch of servers?

There are only two reviews on Metacritic for the PS4 version... You'd think Sony would be giving this more of a marketing push

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far, not liking it at all. I'm not colorblind but i can't tell who the fuck I am supposed to shoot ever and ended up killing 3 friendlies my first go round(my guess is they were low on health). I'll have 3 friendless run past me then an enemy creep up and kill me because I couldn't tell the difference. I ended up picking the purple dudes so maybe that's why i don't know, i can barely see the stupid diamond thing at all.

Having friendly fire in a game where you can't tell who is who is pretty fucking terrible.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

all you do is run around for miles then sit in a corner while waiting for a control point to be taken then you run to the next. oddly enough i like it. although all the progression is so slow

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realized yesterday what the draw for this game was with me. It's not only the size of fights and all the crazy bottle neck fire fights. But it's when you are in a big stalemate endless fire fight that you think is going nowhere until you're noticing the line move just a little. Had a moment like that when our team was on defense and slowly pushed the opposing team out. It's a really satisfying feeling.

Though I have noted on the hours I play my faction is serverely underrepresented compared to other hours of the day.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think this game is pretty terrible. It doesn't do anything as good as other games of this type. The shoot and movement feels bad to me. And the overall presentation made it hard for me to want to play. Too many confusing things going on. I couldn't even figure out who was a friend and who was the enemy. Too many damned different colored soldiers running around. I think that EVE plugin game on PS3, DUST 514, is 100x the better game than this. This game just feels like I need a mouse and keyboard. Its not very good with a controller. I'd rather play Dust or Blacklight. Or Warframe even, and I think Warframe is a shit game too.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

@n7 said:

I really like it. It's like a janky mix of MAG and DUST 514.

That frame rate can be a real bastard. Sometimes it runs fine and sometimes it doesn't.

Also I just don't know what I'm doing. I play a Medic and thankfully I read some tutorials that explained Medic is probably a good way to go for beginners and so far I've been loving it... I just don't really know what I'm doing or why. All I can really do is revive people and heal them but it feels like I'm missing the bigger picture.

The game does a really bad job of communicating things to new players, and of course by bad job I mean not at all.

I think you hit it spot on there. I loved MAG on ps3, and was excited for this. I tried it out quite a few times and I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Like you mentioned, the game doesn't communicate a lot to new players, which is what immediately pulled me out.

I may give it another shot though eventually.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By burgavo

All the jank and colourblindness issues aside I actually kind of dig it, keeping in mind the last fps I played online for any length of time was either BF2 or BF2142.

I'm never going to be that good at twitch gameplay, death match games and just straight up killing dudes, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a multiplayer FPS game these days, but I appreciate that there are other ways of playing and helping out the team in this game.

I tend to stick to the anti tank class (which I always played in BF aswell) and I'm actually having a pretty good time, when all the planets align that is. You can definitely have varying experiences as far as server population goes depending on time of day/day of the week, It's not a lot of fun when your just rolling through with a few guys taking over map points un opposed, but when it's firing on all cylinders, man, it can be pretty awesome. Rolling through the desert on some alien world with a group of tanks and sunderers and jets flying over head was a pretty fun experience, and I've had some pretty good protracted sieges of outpost that lasted upward of two hours, where the defenders were actually intelligently defending as a team and you had to fight for every inch and just getting near the capture points was a victory, never mind holding all 3 long enough to take over the facility.

I can see how people who are more into their shooters will feel it runs and plays like ass, but I kind of like it, not that I wouldn't mind some more polish.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep coming down to I want to like it but it just feels off. I cant get hooked. I want the game to hook me but it refuses to do so. bastard.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How populated are the servers? Does it share population with the PC version or does it have its own batch of servers?

There are only two reviews on Metacritic for the PS4 version... You'd think Sony would be giving this more of a marketing push

It has it's own servers and so far they seem pretty well populated. There is a little bit of an issue with the factions at the moment with NC having more players overall than both other factions. They are giving the other factions XP boosts to circumvent this though. It should balance out over time.

@burgavo said:

All the jank and colourblindness issues aside I actually kind of dig it, keeping in mind the last fps I played online for any length of time was either BF2 or BF2142.

I'm never going to be that good at twitch gameplay, death match games and just straight up killing dudes, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't buy a multiplayer FPS game these days, but I appreciate that there are other ways of playing and helping out the team in this game.

I tend to stick to the anti tank class (which I always played in BF aswell) and I'm actually having a pretty good time, when all the planets align that is. You can definitely have varying experiences as far as server population goes depending on time of day/day of the week, It's not a lot of fun when your just rolling through with a few guys taking over map points un opposed, but when it's firing on all cylinders, man, it can be pretty awesome. Rolling through the desert on some alien world with a group of tanks and sunderers and jets flying over head was a pretty fun experience, and I've had some pretty good protracted sieges of outpost that lasted upward of two hours, where the defenders were actually intelligently defending as a team and you had to fight for every inch and just getting near the capture points was a victory, never mind holding all 3 long enough to take over the facility.

I can see how people who are more into their shooters will feel it runs and plays like ass, but I kind of like it, not that I wouldn't mind some more polish.

I quite like the differences in ways to help the team. All of the classes are unique in that regard. I play medic so I'm constantly reviving people and it definitely helps to push into an enemy base when your people die and then get right back up. I also like the Max's, the power armor class. It's really fun and different to see in a game like this.

I would like more polish to help smooth out the jank, but I do really like the game. The battles can be so overwhelmingly big that I can't even comprehend what's going on around me. It's great.

@sterling said:

I think this game is pretty terrible. It doesn't do anything as good as other games of this type. The shoot and movement feels bad to me. And the overall presentation made it hard for me to want to play. Too many confusing things going on. I couldn't even figure out who was a friend and who was the enemy. Too many damned different colored soldiers running around. I think that EVE plugin game on PS3, DUST 514, is 100x the better game than this. This game just feels like I need a mouse and keyboard. Its not very good with a controller. I'd rather play Dust or Blacklight. Or Warframe even, and I think Warframe is a shit game too.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! DUST 514 is awful.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@n7: Well, I think we can agree its no rocket league.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.