Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlanetSide 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 20, 2012

PlanetSide 2 is the sequel to the 2003 MMOFPS PlanetSide from Sony Online Entertainment which remains one of the most notable and successful games in the genre.

Planetside 2 launches next Tuesday. Will we see a GB Outfit?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ravenlight

I've been having fun in the beta for about a week now and I'm stoked for the official launch of Planetside 2 but I haven't seen a lot of forum buzz about the game.

How does everyone else feel? Lame F2P cash-in on an old franchise, or awesome action-packed three-way mayhem?

And most importantly, will there be an "official" Giant Bomb outfit and what hilarious name will it have?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

Wait, really? Wow, talk about a stealthy launch. I haven't played any of it despite being in the beta since forever, but if it's fun I'm willing to give it a try.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@Cloudenvy said:

Wait, really? Wow, talk about a stealthy launch. I haven't played any of it despite being in the beta since forever, but if it's fun I'm willing to give it a try.

Yeah, this sort of just came out of now where. I guess the beta has been going for a few months now though, but I will definitely check it out on Tuesday.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Subjugation

I've been playing in the beta for several months and I have to say I'm a little concerned for their launch. There are quite a few bugs that need to be addressed, and it seems like when they fix some bugs others arise to fill the hole. The game itself is fun when it all comes together, I just hope they don't shoot themselves in the foot with a messy launch.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Ravenlight: Shit. Is the beta still going? I got an invite a few weeks ago but have been too busy to check it out.

I'm kind of unsure about Planetside so it'd be really nice to have a chance to try before I buy via the beta.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ravenlight

@ProfessorEss said:

@Ravenlight: Shit. Is the beta still going? I got an invite a few weeks ago but have been too busy to check it out.

I'm kind of unsure about Planetside so it'd be really nice to have a chance to try before I buy via the beta.

The beta ends today (midnight PST, I think). The whole thing is going to be F2P in the same was Tribes: Ascend is, so there's no buy-in if you just want to mess around and see what the game's about when it launches on Tuesday. That said, there's a promo going on until the servers close tonight: http://www.planetside2.com/alpha-squad

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ProfessorEss

@Ravenlight: I'm still pretty busy these days so it's good to know that if I ever want to try it out I can do so for free and don't have to scurry to set up tonight to try and get an hour or two in before the beta shuts down. Thanks.

Have you gotten any indication as to whether it's going to be balanced or not for people who don't want to sink more than "average retail price of a game" into it?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

@ProfessorEss said:

Have you gotten any indication as to whether it's going to be balanced or not for people who don't want to sink more than "average retail price of a game" into it?

That's hard to say at this point, since there will undoubtedly still be a lot of balance changes as things are patched post-release. But I don't think there's any one thing that's horribly imbalanced ATM. The devs also recently changed it so that players accrue the free currency at an improved rate, so it's a lot less grindy than it used to be.

If you're interested in dropping a more modest amount of cash and you live in the US and near a 7-11, you can purchase a Station Cash (Sony Online currency) card and redeem it for double it's value this weekend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.