Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Aug 15, 2013

Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time is the sequel to the popular tower defense game Plants vs. Zombies. The game was released through the Apple store on August 15th, 2013, and is, unfortunately, a "free-to-play" title with microtransactions.

Anyone nervous about this game being Free-to-Play?

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Lukeweizer

Given EA's track record with some of it's recent releases and focus on mobile games, is anyone scared that this game is going to be micro-transactioned to hell? I know there's always the notion of "as long as I can buy stuff with in-game money, it's fine", but whenever I hear a game has micro-transactions, I assume that the "economy" has been tilted in the favor of just spending real money. Kind of like the crew was talking about on this week's Bombcast, you trust a developer to create a fair game when micro-transactions are involved... but does anyone really trust EA?

KittyVonDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KittyVonDoom

BUT CONSUMERS EXPECT IT Y U NO WANT CONSUMERS 2 B HAPPY?

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By LornHg

Which game ?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I wouldn't be surprised.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jjm494

@Lukeweizer said:

Given EA's track record with some of it's recent releases and focus on mobile games, is anyone scared that this game is going to be micro-transactioned to hell?

Scared? Nope, I'm pretty much certain it will have micro-transactions out the wazoo.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

Hopefully it will have a $19.99 unlock everything option.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

I'm not so much nervous about this game as I am about ALL future EA games. That they think it's okay to put microtransactions in a $60 product is an absurd and disgusting notion. It's funny how quickly they went from "Hey EA is actually producing awesome franchises." to "Hey EA has ruined all these great franchises they produced."

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @jjm494

@Lukeweizer said:

Given EA's track record with some of it's recent releases and focus on mobile games, is anyone scared that this game is going to be micro-transactioned to hell?

Scared? Nope, I'm pretty much certain it will have micro-transactions out the wazoo.

They updated the iOS version a while back and made the mini games available (that were on the PC version, but not originally on the iOS version), but they came in bundles and cost 50k gold coins to unlock. Mercifully, You were allowed to buy gold packs with real money.

Not too hard to ignore. Just farm some gold. The problem was that the est way to farm gold was locked in one those bundles. I ended up buying a gold pack to unlock the farm mode and I was doing it, I realized I didn't need to because I just bought money. It was really depressing. Game hasn't been the same for me since.
    49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By 49th  Online

Ugh, I wasn't aware it was F2P. It's inevitably going to be full of micro-transaction shit.

Having said that the first game also had purchasable coins (on iOS at least), and the map packs were all like 100k each. I never bought any coins though and still managed to get most of the maps using the Zen Garden, so many this won't be so bad.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikey87144

If it has an unlock everything option I'd be cool with it but it won't so I'm not interested in the game.

LornHg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LornHg

Free-to-Play is the way to go ! Or at least Free-to-Try. The developpers afterwards need to create a system of monetization that is viable, in some way fun and of course not game-breaking. It comes as quite a challenge when talking about competitive games. LoL and Heroes of Newerth did quite well on that front.

jjm494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jjm494

@Lukeweizer: Eww, that sucks. I was such a big fan of the first that I bought it for the PC twice and once for the 360, but I really can't say I have that much interest in the sequel. I hate to speculate on a game with so little information available, but I fear we have another franchise that's going to get EA'ed to death.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By big_jon

Yes and EA.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Ace829

I have a feeling there are many plants that you can only get through microtransactions. They'll probably even put game modes and other zombies for you to face behind a paywall. Yuck.

I'd rather play $5 for the whole game and that's that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.