Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Coming to Xbox Games Preview (Early Access) Dec 12 : $29.99

• 55 results
    Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They had announced it on mixer, but here is the official announcement. Available Dec 12 on Xbox Games Preview program (Their version of Early access) for $29.99.

Other stuff from the press release:

• They are still on track for 1.0 pc release on late Dec (i'll believe it when I see it)
    • Both will have separate roadmaps, xbox and pc will be different in some areas
    • 3 Limited cosmetic packs : PUBG Warrior Pack, PUBG Accessory Pack and , PUBG Tracksuit Pack. Only available for the preview period. They are saying they won't be any in-game purchases for the time being.

I have the pc version but didn't play it much cause my pc is a bit old (i get bad texture pop-in on houses when you drop in), so I'm looking forward to this. Still not sure that they will release the 1.0 pc version in late dec , if it does it will be very funny if it drops in the middle of game of the year discussions.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

ugh, hate the idea of a reduced map for the xbox crowd. One of my favorite games of all time, but the push to release seems rushed. The game is poorly optimized on pc, and could use another year in the incubator before 1.0

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By InternetDotCom

@gtb08: the new patch going into the test server is suppose to have many optimizations apparently along with the vaulting stuff. But yeah we will see. I have no idea looking at a controller how that maps out too

@wikitoups that kind of stuff is pretty common even on newer pcs currently

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@gtb08 said:

ugh, hate the idea of a reduced map for the xbox crowd.

What do you mean? I thought it was going to be the same map, and the announcement doesn't say anything about a smaller map.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Definitely looking forward to playing this. Have the game on my pc but is unplayable so can not wait to actually get to play.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By MocBucket62

One other thing to add is that they are planning on releasing a retail version down the line, but this Game Preview version is digital only.

Man seeing that release date for the PC version makes me wonder how outlets will handle PUBG's position for GOTY talks. I think it doesn't have any shot to get nominations for the VGA's since they seem strict about games releasing before a specific date in order to contend. That's why FF15 was left in the dust last year because it came out in December when the VGA's nominated games that released before November 24th I believe. PUBG might get a "Most Anticipated Game" nomination at best. Actually Bluehole could get a best developer nomination/win if anything.

As for other outlets like GB, it makes the whole dilemma a lot weirder. Some could argue that it is eventually coming out in 2017 and therefore it can contend, but it might not even get that 1.0 PC release before GOTY deliberations and Jeff could still stand by his rule of not letting Early Access titles contend this year and then changing the rule in 2018. Of course as what the OP said, we need to see it to believe it.

fatzur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cannot wait for this! I already purchased it in excitement so I wouldn't blow my money on something else.

It'll go nicely with my Xbox One X.

dafdiego777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: Yeah - it's crazy that a top 5 guaranteed game might not make the list because the 1.0 release (whatever that means) will happen 2-3 weeks after GOTY talks.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I'm surprised that this is a 30 dollar release on Xbox. Big multiplayer shooters like Titanfall and others have consistently charged more than that in the past.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@isomeri: Well to be fair the game isnt finished and as such is less fully featured than a game like Titanfall. Granted that one map seems pretty huge.

If I can convince my friends on the XBO to try it I might get this, it'll be nice playing with/against people who are presumably less skilled at the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is something I've found conflicting information on in the past, but since I feel like I'd have better luck asking the crowd: Has there been any word, with all these recent announcements about stuff like cross-play or KB&M support on the Xbox One? I'm genuinely eager to play it, but I've always preferred multiplayer shooters in a controller-based setting, and PC players would just have crazy advantages in general.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

@marokai said:

Has there been any word, with all these recent announcements about stuff like cross-play or KB&M support on the Xbox One?

Definitely nothing about keyboard for Xbox One. In the past PlayerUnknown said they would "like" to do cross play, but that's about it. Not to mention that they also recently said that Xbox and PC won't even be running the same version of the game, with Xbox likely running behind PC a little bit. I'd put money on there never being cross play for PUBG.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@mike said:
    @marokai said:

Has there been any word, with all these recent announcements about stuff like cross-play or KB&M support on the Xbox One?

Definitely nothing about keyboard for Xbox One. In the past PlayerUnknown said they would "like" to do cross play, but that's about it. Not to mention that they also recently said that Xbox and PC won't even be running the same version of the game, with Xbox likely running behind PC a little bit. I'd put money on there never being cross play for PUBG.

I hope they won't allow either keyboard and mouse use or crossplay with PC, one of the reasons I am picking this up on Xbox is the even playing field. If you allow these options, you would have to put them in a separate hopper, then it would be fine, I guess, as long as there is a big enough player base, which there should be. I also hope the PC hackning issues are eliminated on the consoles. I would love them adding a crossplay with PS4 once that is on the market though, that would be good for everyone.

I am really curious how about this early access Xbox release! We'll see in a week!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Quipido

Game is out on Xbox (early access obviously). My early impressions -as a new player, who only watched GB streams- are:

• Framerate is not great (playing on One X), mainly when streaming the world in, at the start of the match, it's mostly fine during the regural gameplay, still capped at 30fps though.
    • Aiming with the controller is fine, definetely takes a bit to adjust, but in my third game I ended up in 4th place with 2 kills, a game after that I got 6 kills. We will see how the game changes when people learn the controls, I think the game balance will be way different from the PC, favouring closer range combat. I got most of my kills with shotguns and single round mid range shots from assault rifles, that said one time I got caught on a big old field with no cover, under a sniper fire and got killed no matter how much serpentines I tried to do, so the sniping will ofc be a viable way to go for some players, even aginst moving targets.
    • The interface is ok as well, again, takes some time to memorize the buttons (one button loots to inventory, other one equips straight from the pick up etc.), I feared it would be way worse.
    • Matchmaking seems super fast right off the bat, I never had to wait and all the games were full with 95+ players, I only got an occasional "server lag" warning, which freezes the game for a second or two. Happened maybe 3-4 times in 4 hours of gameplay. There are no first person only servers, but the game notes the current ones as third person so I guess that will be a thing later.
    • The game seems to be on a newer version, meaning it includes the vaulting, which works great. Obviosly it only has the one released map so far. The download is just over 5 gigs so it was very fast to download and play. Also there is no kill-cam in this build yet, which is a shame.

Anybody else playing on the Xbox?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mike

I'm really interested in hearing from people who have played both versions. I imagine it's a totally different experience with everyone using controllers.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mems1224

Im having a blast with the xbox one x version so far. its in better shape than i thought it'd be.

• framerate is mostly fine during gameplay. 30fps sucks but you get used to it, they just need to keep working on it to keep it stable. Its only real bad on the starting island and while driving. Haven't really been in the big cities or really active areas though
    • aiming takes getting used to with no auto aim. still, im getting about 4-5 kills a match but i have trouble in close quarters combat.
    • melee sucks shit, you can't tell if you're hitting the other player
    • the inventory system is surprisingly manageable but it has a few bugs and some jank. its definitely slower than using a pc but its easy to quickly pick up ammo and equip mods
    • the use all the buffalo when it comes to the controller. it takes getting used to because its far different from other shooters but it mostly makes sense. it just needs to be more responsive. sometimes i definitely feel some latency.
    • Why do you invert the map controls when i invert my camera??? WHY!?!?!?!

Overall Im a lot more optimistic about the console version. Its a decent port right now full of jank and bugs but its been mostly functional for me.

BONUS: Here is me fumbling with the controls trying to figure out how to switch shoulders and getting a kill on someone who also seems to be confused by the controls

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/mems1224/video/40808059

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224: @quipido: I know it only just launched but how is the player base? Is it easy to get into games? Are there connection/network issues?

Also if anyone is playing this on the original XBO or even the S i'm curious how well/badly it performs on that.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: every match I've played has been full and I've had 0 connection issues in my 3-4 hours

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak: I answered both questions in my previous post...matchmaking is superfast so far and there are only ocasiona lag issues, no disconnects or anything like that.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@mems1224 said:

Why are you inverting in the first place?

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mems1224 said:

Why are you inverting in the first place?

because I play games the way God intended.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was watching someone play it earlier on Youtube, it looked like solo and duo were the only options. Is that the case on PC too, will more options be added later? I was wondering because I usually play in a group of 3 or 4 people on Xbox Live.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoOzak

@quipido: Yeah, sorry I skimmed.

I bought the game against my better judgement and it performs like shit on the normal XBO. I could see the game being some janky fun with friends, sort of like Wildlands but that game seems like a polished masterpiece by comparison. (very different games I know)

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boozak said:

@quipido: Yeah, sorry I skimmed.

I bought the game against my better judgement and it performs like shit on the normal XBO. I could see the game being some janky fun with friends, sort of like Wildlands but that game seems like polished masterpiece by comparison. (very different games I know)

Ghost Recon Wildlands was repetitive and kinda boring but I didn't think it was janky at all, especially considering its size. I've seen way more issues in Rockstar and Bethesda games than Wildlands.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstriker: My friends and I had a very different experience, there were tons of glitches but they were generally the fun kind.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Goboard

@deathstriker: There's also the option for Squads on PC, which is up to 4 player teams so my guess is they want to work out the issues with stability before they expand the team options. With how that's worked out on the PC version expect it to take a while for them to get around to that. This version seems to have waaaay more performance problems than the PC version ever did.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is the Digital Foundry performance analysis for those who are interested:

Loading Video...

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Shindig

I often wonder how intensive that game is. It doesn't look like a powerhouse on PC but then it's a scrappy development crew.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@quipido: Thank you for posting that. It is super helpful.

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I got this game today and I am very disappointed. Me and my gf played two games of duos (she had played a game of solo as well and we are currently trying to pursue a refund of some kind. I've sunk over 100 hours into the PC version and this version is just piss poor in comparison. For me, the controls feel sluggish which make the two things you are meant to be doing in that game, scavenging and firefighting, feel very fuckin' lousy.

If anyone has any success with getting a refund, please let me know! Thanks duders.

Also, maybe don't buy this game yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that you cannot refund games on Xbox seems problematic given how many players must be surely trying to refund this.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It runs on my xbox! Getting hit while crossing an open field, after spending tons of time in some nearby shrubs scoping it out, is a jump scare. It runs on my xbox!

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After 12+ hours on One X I don't regret this purchase at all. Sure, if you have a good PC, play it there (unless the hacking problems are still an issue?) but if you only have a console, this game still provides awesome moments. I made it to the 4th place 4 different times now, it gets my heart pumping in a way a few games do these days. Also after playing more the complex controls are really great, they just take a bit to learn, but I think the layout is very clever and well done.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

The fact that you cannot refund games on Xbox seems problematic given how many players must be surely trying to refund this.

You can totally refund games on Xbox Live. There are similar restrictions to Steam where the refund must be within two weeks of the purchase and you must have less than two hours of play time in the game. I tried this out for the first time last month when I accidentally bought the wrong version of Wolfenstein II.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kedi2: Perhaps this is region-specific for now because the Xbox website says otherwise.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By oopprraahh

As someone who doesn't wear headphones, has a soundbar or surround sound, I am really impressed with the sound quality of this game. If I am in a house on the 2nd floor I can hear someone below me. If it sounds like there is shootout taking place down the road to the right of me, sure enough when I look there is one.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've now played quite a few games on X1 and I like it. The framerate and texture should/could be much better, but it's definitely a lot of fun. The bug that annoys me is crashing mid-game. It was only me and one other guy alive then my game crashed. It will put you back in the game if you're still alive or give you the credits you would've earned if you died, but obviously being kicked in the middle of a firefight with only two people left I was dead. For me, it probably crashed once every 4 or 5 games. That's the first and main thing they need to fix at the moment. I'm having fun and it actually has me looking forward to Day-Z coming to X1 since they feel very similar... as long as DayZ has its stuff together. Zombies could walk through walls back when I played it.

WetRacoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sometimes astounds me how a game that looks, plays, and runs so damn shitty can be so popular. I suppose the survival-shooter genre was in dire need of a fresh new take on the concept (no that there's anything fresh or new about a game mode and style that's been around for years, but you know what I mean.)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mike

@wetracoon said:

It sometimes astounds me how a game that looks, plays, and runs so damn shitty can be so popular. I suppose the survival-shooter genre was in dire need of a fresh new take on the concept (no that there's anything fresh or new about a game mode and style that's been around for years, but you know what I mean.)

I'm not sure what is so astounding, it's a super fun game that keeps providing experiences that feel new and exciting after hundreds of hours of play. I'm normally someone who is quite picky about performance, but I have put well over 400 hours into PUBG even though it runs like garbage. It's so good that the technical stuff just doesn't matter to me.

KoRnNuttZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KoRnNuttZ

Compared to "finished titles" like COD:WW2, BF 3 and 4 and many others this launch has not been too bad. Sure you get booted every once in a while but at least it is playable. I have faith that MS will not let this fail.

WetRacoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: I believe I acknowledged the fact that it's the freshness (using it kind of synchronously with "fun-ness") of the concept which is letting people look past the fact that the game is garbage on a technical level :) I've had my fun with it, but I've had my fill with the game in it's current state. I'm hoping a better developer will come along and do a much better battle royale type game. Unfortunately Fortnite doesn't hit that itch for me given I like the pseudo-realism that PUBG goes for, just not how it pulls it off.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing solo, I tried to pull off hiding in the back seat of someone else's car while they ransacked a house. They didn't notice me until they got in their car and jumped out before I could shot them. Of course then I panicked and got easily taken out. Don't think I've been so giddy in a game where I just sat in a motionless car for a minute.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First Xbox update is out now, let's hope they keep a good pace with patches in the future as well, especially considering the PC version is going 1.0 tommo. Patch notes mention improvements on the technical side, I am downloading it now so I don't know how much they could do in a week.

In the mantime, here are some tips for improving performance on the console:

1) disable game recording, in the xbox system/settings, it has been tested and since the game demands a lot of HDD streaming, recording a video at the same time appearently slows it down. I disabled recordinga a week after I got my xbox (because the implementation is aweful, with the auto-recording clips and stupid way to take a screenshot - PS4 does this so much better!!) so I can not report first hand on how much this helps.

2) move the game on an external HDD, obviously the faster the better. I myslef stuck a SSD in it and it is a big difference, you can notice right as you land, the building textures load much quicker. If you consider getting a HDD for an Xbox be ware you need at least 256GB and USB 3 for it to work.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

I've only played a quick match on the S and the patch has improved performance dramatically but, unless I didn't notice pre-patch, at the expense of resolution. If it had launched like this I doubt there'd have been as much internet rage.

Decent start.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BradBrains

@dave_tacitus said:

I've only played a quick match on the S and the patch has improved performance dramatically but, unless I didn't notice pre-patch, at the expense of resolution. If it had launched like this I doubt there'd have been as much internet rage.

Decent start.

I think there still would have been close to the same reaction. The idea of it on 30fps was controversial so if it launched and still cant maintain that consistently I think the same kinda stories would have popped up.

I will say it has been weird to see the difference in reaction from older players and the ones who have only played it on xbox. Part excited to finally play it and just being too forgiving of flaws or part not as harsh as pc players? I don't know.

I know the game doesnt work the best on PC either but I think enough players were able to brute force it there which is something you cant do on xbox

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dave_Tacitus

@bradbrains: I think that the game being 30fps was out there a while before release. It's not that bad in itself but add in the weird control scheme and close quarters fights take on the appearance of an experimental modern ballet.

EDIT - I've got 100 hours in the PC version.

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: admittedly not much of a PC player, CIV and Sim City mostly, so I don't keep up on updating my PC. My machine is over a decade old and PUBG barely ran on there. So when I finally got to play on the xbox it felt like I was actually getting to play the game. I know it isn't great framerate and texture wise but I can actually play the game. Right now, for me, the technical stuff is in the back seat while I get to finally experience all those moments PC players have been.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: admittedly not much of a PC player, CIV and Sim City mostly, so I don't keep up on updating my PC. My machine is over a decade old and PUBG barely ran on there. So when I finally got to play on the xbox it felt like I was actually getting to play the game. I know it isn't great framerate and texture wise but I can actually play the game. Right now, for me, the technical stuff is in the back seat while I get to finally experience all those moments PC players have been.

as someone who really only knows the console version how are you feeling about the controls?

oopprraahh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By oopprraahh

@bradbrains:

Tough to say for myself at this point for couple reasons. First off I don't know them all yet, just last night figured out how to look behind myself while sprinting. Second not knowing what real vantage there is to go into first person view I wonder why the toggle option is even there. When I first dove in I thought, "All right, The Coalition worked on the controller set up it's probably gonna be very similar to me, being a Gears of War fan.". So I constantly kept hitting the RB button to reload but that kept putting me into first person view. Still have quite a while before I get a hang of the controls but it really isn't my top priority right now,e surviving, understanding the games strategies, and just playing better are first and foremost.

Happy with the fact that there is no aim-assist though. It is refreshing not to have it and also aids in keeping the tension of the game high. For example one round I was laid out in front of an open field and was using the sight on my gun to see across it to the other row of trees to see if there was anyone over there waiting for me. Without even knowing I was doing it I kept moving my sight over bushes and rocks waiting for that magnetic feeling you get from aim-assist. Thanks to it not being there all I could rely on was what I could see ahead of me and make a hard run hoping I didn't miss a player.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.