Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Have you played PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds?

• 76 results
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Poll Have you played PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds? (373 votes)

Yes 53%
    No 47%

I mean literally played it, not just watched people play it.

• 
    nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah, don't have a system that runs it. It seems like a game I'd rather watch other people play anyway.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No, I have not. I think it's an amazing game and definitely had a huge impact on the industry, but I have not played it, only watched GB and Waypoint play it. The reason is simple, it's not a game that I would enjoy playing, personally. I'm neither good at nor do I enjoy most multiplayer games, I'm more of a single player fan. It does mostly have to do with the fact that I'm simply bad at competitive stuff and lack skills / prefer co-op. I don't really have a group of friends that'd be willing to play in teams, and I think I wouldn't like it solo.

Also, there are some games that I enjoy watching others play but would not have fun playing them. Same happened with Hitman. I think that game is phenomenal, I watched everything GB did with it, but when I bought it myself, I played through all of it once, and had no real desire to go back. I think if I had a party with a group of friends and did challenges or took turns with them it'd be great, but I did not have desire to play more than once solo. Again, I think both games are incredible, but for some reason I'd rather watch others play them than do it myself. Totally love PUBG and Hitman content.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not my kind of game. Reminded me of PVP in the DayZ mod days, which I absolutely hated.

Still cannot argue the impact it had on everyone last year though. I wonder if there will be another like it in the future.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really like to watch it, but no, I haven't played it. And unless the Xbox version gets optimized well beyond its current state, I likely won't play it any time soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I did. Watched the crew play it and thought I will give it a shot. According to steam, I had fun with the game for 16 hours before putting it down. August 1. was the last time I played it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

79 hours and counting. Got my first chicken dinner this week after dozens of almosts

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep. Easily the game I've spent the most time with this year, with over 200 hours in it. Haven't had a chance to touch the 1.0 release yet due to being out of the country for Christmas. Looking forward to giving that a shot next year.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

400+ hours and probably a lot more than that to come this year, it's responsible for some of the most intense and memorable experiences I've ever had playing a competitive multiplayer game.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No, but I wish I could :( don't have a pc to run it

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, I have started playing it since last week and even today, had silly moments that made me laugh.

nawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

Overall, it's okay.

Getting a kill / winning an encounter feels awesome. Especially in close-up situations. The feeling of "what the fuck just happened" immediately followed by "shit gotta go gotta go" is fuckin' fantastic.

But, there's also long stretches of boredom (and playing boringly is an effective strategy). Probably more of my deaths have been completely anti-climactic rather exciting or challenging. You will get killed from a distance without ever seeing the shooter.

I've played a bunch of games where I had an unlucky drop that put me far off the safe zone. This sucks hard if you can't find a vehicle. I'd end up spending most of the game sprinting towards the circle without seeing anybody. Like, I'd make it to the top ten without hiding OR firing a shot. Just Forrest Gumpin' my way across the map. Kinda funny the first time, not so much after that.

Also it's sorta... shitty? Rough? Unpleasant to experience? Something like that. I've run into tons of lag and tons of jank. It's improved over time, for sure, but it still feels like a rough cut. No to mention - So, the last time I played was right after v1.0 dropped. Saw the new map, got a kill... then two minutes later the game hard crashed. Was a real bummer.

I dunno. It's definitely worth trying but it's a very uneven experience. The highs are super high, but you should expect a lot of the time you spend in it to be sorta empty.

wow, this ended up way more negative than i had anticipated

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mems1224

Yup, it's one of the best games this year. It's easily the best multiplayer game this year though that's not saying much since this was a trash ass year for multiplayer games.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By maxszy

Yeah I did, though I didn't get a massive attachment to at as others did.

I did put a good 15-20 hours into but then I rolled off of it. I still go back every once in awhile if my friends are playing but thats really it. I was never great at it so playing solo i just really couldn't get into.

Gusto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gusto

Yup, own it on PC and then decided to get it for my Scorpio. It’s a heaping pile of dog sh*t on the X1X. If you’re looking for a Battle Royale game on the X1, just play fort night.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Quantris

No. And as a fan of actual Battle Royale, I refuse to acknowledge it as a valid interpretation.

EDIT: but really, I'll probably pick it up if it ever goes on sale. I wasn't willing to pay for early access and I'm not particularly motivated to pick it up at full price; plenty of other stuff to play for now.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I have a pretty beefy PC that could probably handle the shoddy optimization but I never really felt drawn to it and I used to be a huge Counter Strike person back in my day. It's just not the sort of game I really care for anymore, despite all the hype. As much as I appreciate and respect all the stuff Danny O'Dwyer does I was absolutely baffled by him playing PUBG for like 5 hours straight during his guest GB charity stream. Then again I felt similarly about Rocket League so maybe I'm just not a competitive online guy anymore.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's a really good video game. It kind of stresses me out though so I've largely put it away.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

Even if I had a system to play it on, I have no desire to play multiplayer games. My stepson gives me grief over not playing multiplayer games. He hasn't played battlegrounds. He went from Destiny 2 back to Warframe or some shit.

tommygunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tommygunner

Yes, for one of those dayz/h1z1 games its good. But that's it.

All I can place it's popularity on is the 12 year old twitch crowd.

I was playing better/similar versions in Operation Flashpoint in 2004

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, and I really didn't like it. Such a rough game; so many technical problems. I also really dislike a large number of subjective qualities about it. I am looking forward to the BR-style game that works for me, though. All the other games like this never made me think that this type of game would ever interest me, and while I think PUBG is hot garbage, its success has convinced me that there is a BR-style game that hasn't been made yet that I'll enjoy, if not love.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By OurSin_360

Nope, almost bit the bullet a few times but i like to play with a pad and i do not own an xbox

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was dismissive of PUBG until I randomly sat down to watch a Murder Island stream one night with my husband, and realized everything that I had been missing. It wasn't just another shooter - anyone who dismisses it like that is just wrong, frankly. Since it came out on the XB1 I've played it a lot and I really love it. Even for just that short time it's my second-favorite game of the year.

PressStart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I may try it out on the Xbox One. PUBG belongs to a genre that really does not appeal to me, but this game has so much hype it is tempting me.

slaughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, got about 116 hours into it on PC.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Play it all the time with bros. It's a good time.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I don't have a PC to play it and I currently have no desire to play it on a console if it came out for the PS4.

SpoogeMcduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just bought it a couple days ago, only played a few matches but managed to get to the top 10 in one and had a few kills. Seems the way to win is get lucky and be close to where the center of the zone will be then you can just sit back and camp. But it is fun if you manage to be in cover and get someone running into view and seeing the confusion play out as they try to figure out where they're being shot from

hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

No, and I likely never will. I don't generally play multiplayer games (though I did engage in hearthstone for a few months), and I usually play games years after release because I am very price sensitive (I just started witcher 3).

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played 30 hours and I can probably live the rest of my life happily without ever playing again

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

59 hours so far and will hopefully put in a fair few more. Most of those hours are solo, I'd say maybe 4 hours have been squad for me. This game is in a genre/style that I would usually never get in to (any multiplayer is usually not my thing), but I think it's pretty great.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One might say I've played too much of it.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would, but it's the most generic looking video game ever. It has absolutely no style or flair to it. 100 people on an island; great idea. That's as far as it goes for me.

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played in June for 1 hour, hated it, removed it.

For some reason decided to try it again in August.

Called my friend, "dude, this game embodies what teamwork PC games are about. This game represents our nostalgia for LAN parties 15 years ago playing Medal of Honor and Battlefield 2. Buy it."

Friend hated it at first for having a zone circle.

Fastforward to today, both of us have 300 hours in Duo together (and I love playing solo).

This game is why I pay money to buy games and why I pay money to upgrade my PC. It doesn't waste any time trying to tell a story, or create visual wonder, or get points for style. All it does is give me GREAT GAMEPLAY. Some of my best gaming moments with this game, it's fucking unbelievable.

fledeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’d love to have a go, but we don’t have a machine capable of running it and I know I’d get really stressed if I tried to play it.

In a few weeks we might be getting a new PC which might be able to run it, so I’ll watch my son play a few matches if our internet holds up.

padraigd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I've played it. It's the best. Solo or with friends. Deserving of GOTY.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#36  Edited By Redhotchilimist

No, not a big PC gamer. Or shooter fan, for that matter.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I played it a few months ago after watching/listening to so much of the GB streams. I got a refund after four matches because it ran like shit.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It interests me but not enough to put money down for it. I've not really got a PC crowd (or PC) to make it work.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Nope, people seem to like it, but from what i have seen, it isn't a game I would enjoyed. Watched a few of the GB videos, but quickly found, that I didn't even like watching them play it. IDK, overall, the game to me seems like its the Pokemon Go of FPSs.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zor said:

Nope, people seem to like it, but from what i have seen, it isn't a game I would enjoyed. Watched a few of the GB videos, but quickly found, that I didn't even like watching them play it. IDK, overall, the game to me seems like its the Pokemon Go of FPSs.

I mean raw time has already proven that false.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41 gamer_152  Moderator

No. With the right group of people playing, it's a blast to watc,h but I genuinely don't have any idea if I'd like it. There's obviously a steep learning curve in there and there have been a number of games I've played recently where I've been surprised how much patience I've had to learn them. However, I can also think of plenty of situations where games being vague about threats to me and asking me to go through an uphill slog of practice to even compete has turned me off completely. I suspect I'll play it eventually, but it's not exactly a cheap game right now.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I'm always tempted to. I'm really into Overwatch and Mary Quiche had it on her top-10 list with a neato comparison (I think we've got similar taste in games).

The high-price point is honestly the biggest detractor for me. Is there any interesting music, story, gameplay, art assets, etc. that let this game seem memorable or original? I don't like that the games entire identity is on the goofy moments that occur when you take a genre that's used to small teams and just increasing the player-count to a bonkers amount. It could be fun, but is it £25 worth of fun? Ehhhh not yet.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I picked it up right after watching the Quick Look. Before that I pretty much wrote it off, but after seeing Vinny mess around with it, and with having some extra cash around, I decided to take the plunge. I haven't played a huge amount, 24 hours according to steam(all solo, with 3 chicken dinners total), but i've enjoyed my time with it. Look forward to finally getting around to trying out the new map/vaulting.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 30 hours of it; I burned out way faster than the staff has. It turns out having a big group of people you know to regularly play with is critical, and my tolerance for jank is much lower.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45  Edited By zor

@efesell said:
    @zor said:

Raw time? I was unaware that my opinion that I don't enjoy something could be proven false by an outside source, good to know that am not allow to not like something.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#46 sgtsphynx  Moderator  Online

I've played it. The team I was on with Will Smith won the custom squad game on the Quick Look

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I've played quite a bit of it, though I have gone back to other games for a few months now. I think it a dope multiplayer game, and really the only true multiplayer game I have ever played.

Severely limited in some ways though, compared to the other campaigns and open worlds I have re-involved myself in.

Rilber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. The times I've watched it is mostly for the chatter I hear from commentators nothing more. Never looked interesting for me.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ivdamke

@zor said:
    @efesell said:
    @zor said:

Raw time? I was unaware that my opinion that I don't enjoy something could be proven false by an outside source, good to know that am not allow to not like something.

The implication of what you said was that PUBG would be a short lived fad much like the Pokemon GO fad. What @efesell is saying is that PUBG has already outlasted fad status and shows no sign of dying off being 8 months old now.

Avatar image for daniel1cockerill
    daniel1cockerill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, some would say it's the GOTY for 2017.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.