Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Playing Battlegrounds - slowly making progress towards a Solo Chicken Dinner

Avatar image for deactivated-63d083cc6f10c
    deactivated-63d083cc6f10c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

My last Few games of PUBG have really made me enjoy the game a lot more. I have started getting into the top 20 of players pretty regularly, and I feel like I am getting better at the encounters I do have. My last game last night was my best yet. I got 3 kills, and one of those was as I was frantically running on the edge of the blue zone, someone started shooting me from the safe zone and I hid behind a tree with my health rapidly dropping and managed to get him with my Red Dot sight. Running into the Safe zone after that, with just a sliver of health left, and flopping onto my belly to heal up and loot him felt like a great victory!

My typical game at the moment goes like this:

I will pick a place to drop that is a group of a few houses. I am learning where some of the better ones of these are, but it does seem like a matter of luck - sometimes my little out of the way collection of houses is quiet and safe, but empty and I come away with a pistol, if I am lucky.

Sometimes I get lucky, but most of the time I am at least alone and have a gun of some sort.

No Caption Provided

Normally at this point I realize I am bloody miles away from the circle and have to start running, but you get plenty of time at the beginning and the circle is slow enough that i can usually grab a rifle and a red dot sight at least, if not better.

The last few games I have played I've left the initial looting section at the start a little too late, and run in with the circle. I like this as it allows me to be certain that when I am in the safety of the circle no one is coming from behind, at least for now.

At some point in my current game plan, I start crawling. This is my new favorite thing. I have been shot a lot of times whilst crawling, but I have been shot a hell of a lot more whilst running across a field. Once the circles begin to get smaller crawling in from the edge to the new safe zone becomes more and more viable.

No Caption Provided

During this part of the process I will also try to kill people. But staying alive and remaining observant is priority one.

Scrabbling through the brush, or the fields, hiding behind walls. This is my favorite part. We are down to less than 20 people left, the last couple of circles, gun shots keep pinging, it is tense as hell.

At some point after this I die. Normally I feel like this is unfair and there is no way I could have done anything different, but there are patterns which I need to learn, I am making the same mistakes.

I am often tempted into shooting at someone who hasn't seen me yet, and then I got shot after. If I kill the one I m shooting at, I still die, and that is because I am giving away my position and the circle is small enough that someone just has to look over in my direction to see me.

I often wait too long to get to the really small circles, a couple of times this has meant I need to run across a field and have no idea where anyone is.

I need to get a lot more confident in my scouting ability, to be aware of the places I have checked in order to eliminate possible camping locations from my mind. The last run across to the new safe zone for me, sometimes with less than 6 or 7 people left alive, so far always feels like a turkey shoot where I have no idea where the shots are coming from and where i might be safe.

No Caption Provided

I am hoping to get better at the actual shooting part, and I feel like I am, the more I play the more chances I get to kill people and practice. I would like to perfect my tactics though and get a Chicken dinner using my current method, or maybe get lucky camping in a building (although even though that is tense and the games sounds make it very scary sometimes, I enjoy my moving across the map much more than sitting waiting in a house in the centre of the circle for 20 minutes).

Thats my thoughts on Battlegrounds for today! Maybe I will keep writing about it and try to include some pictures next time.

Mic_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Your approach seems very similar to my own. If I may offer a little advice (although you're probably already doing this) when you parachute, try to find a small group of houses next to the ocean or at the very least, one of the rivers. You'll always have one flank covered by water so it's pretty unlikely you'll get jumped from behind as you're heading for the first circle. (There are some really good clusters just near the bridges to the island that are usually ignored in solo play.) If you're jumping near the water then there's a very good chance you won't be anywhere near the circle so make sure you're keeping an eye out for a vehicle of some sort.

No Caption Provided

Another tip for jumping is try to go for the "fat" side meaning when the flight path isn't in the middle of the map, jump to the side that has the most real estate. This should give you a few extra moments in which to pick up that tasty loot, and if your first selection yields nothing, a little extra time to move to another set of houses.

Playing the super-conservative style will pretty much ensure top 20 every game and then its really down to keen ears, keen eyes and a lot of circle luck. All 3 of my solo victories have come from using these simple tactics and even though they're far form top-tier it does usually mean I'm not spending all of my PUBG time in the damn loading lobby, playing human centipede.

Good luck!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mic_d:

Thanks very much! The parts of the game that frustrate me sometimes are mostly gone when I play this way, and I feel like I'm getting better - I'll definitely use your tips to help!

Congrats on the wins!

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played 226 rounds of battlegrounds. Still fucking suck at it, I hope you improve faster than me. The players playing solo feels extremely good at the game and I have been reading tips and watching videos, I have also been going down at the school and other high activity places to improve my actual shooting ability, yet this game is still so fucking brutal. I can go up to 5 rounds with no kills and then get a good run with 4. I wish my friends would want to actually play this game with me, because I don't think I can do the stress of solo much longer after a long day of work. I also wish this game would get a ranking system really fast, because again people are too good at this game in solo, at least it feels so to me.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey dude, good luck on your journey. I finally got a chicken dinner last night. Here is my input for you:

Don't go somewhere 'safe' from the start. When everyone goes left from the plane, don't go as far right as you can. Cameron Kunzelman wrote a piece on playing well in PUBG a month or two ago, and while some advice was obvious, this part stuck with me: killing other players for their equipment is saving time. Someone else is spending their time exploring and cherrypicking the best stuff they find. Rather than spending your time doing the same and hoping for the best, find other equipped players and kill them for their goods, saving yourself time. So my advice on what to do at the start of a match? Find a popular place (the prison, a city center, the school, etc.), and land in a small settlement nearby. You'll likely find some kind of weapon, and while you're finding your weapon, players are killing each other in the hotspot region nearby. Pay attention to gunshots and kills being tracked. When you have what you need, or whatever your settlement offered, head for the hotspot. As you approach, get sneaky, and watch. Players inside will be concerned with other players inside; they won't be expecting players to be entering late. Often, you will also be approaching as other players leave. These are the ones you're looking for. Anyone you find here will have good shit. Take it!

As soon as the circle is shown, mark the center of it on your map and start heading towards it. The sooner you get there, the less you'll be shot at on the way there by better-positioned players, and you're given the opportunity to get comfortable and post up. Just keep doing this as the circle constricts. You'll ultimately spend less time running for your life from the thin blue line this way, and you'll have more time to get positioned well and get the drop on players fleeing from encroaching death.

Crawling is a great strategy, but know when to use it. If you enjoy your time being quiet and alone in this game, great! However, I sometimes feel like Jeff: I've spent 20 minutes hunting for weapons and running towards the action, never firing my gun before I get sniped. My advice is this: crawl on approach, but feel more comfortable running in the open. You'll get shot at sometimes, sure, but really you shouldn't be shot at very often until late in the game. As the play circle constricts, or as you approach players hiding in the woods, you'll spend more time on your belly. In the last 10 players, you may never even rise to a crouch. But, until then, get where you need to go.

You need to get better at shooting? Spend more time shooting!! Play spicy just to get comfortable with conflict! This has been great for me. When I first started, my heart rate would reach 130 if I was in the last 10 players. It was impossible to keep my cool. As I got more comfortable with confrontation, though, I've begun to remain more calm, which has been a HUGE boon. I urge you to intentionally seek conflict in many play sessions, knowing you may lose. Winning won't be the point - gaining experience with gunplay will be. You need it!

Lastly, don't run directly to a player's loot box after killing them. Wait. Watch. Other players may be nearby, watching for you to run up and sit there, looting. I've died looting a loot box so many fuckin times. Finally, in the last 15, 10 players, don't go to loot boxes at all. You've made it this far, just play with what you have. You WILL get shot if you approach the loot box.

Also, use grenades a lot. People have no idea where they come from and I get kills with them all the time.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@kcin: Good advice.

The solo game is definitely less gung-ho but I improved a lot, not by deliberately jumping into populated areas, but by hanging back for a few minutes then following them in.

What REALLY helped me, and I know this is daft advice for a lot of you, was putting on some headphones.

I live in a detached house in the middle of nowhere so I've never really bothered with headphones and I don't play multiplayer games that often. With them on in PUBG, my awareness was an order of magnitude better, and I normally game with a pair of decent studio monitors turned up reasonably loud.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: @dave_tacitus: @kcin: Thanks so much for all that advice guys, Its really appreciated I am sure its useful to lots of people on here as well as being super useful to me!

No Caption Provided

This game is only getting more addictive as I get more and more used to it, and thanks to all your tips and some practise I just played my best match so far! Thought I might get the chicken dinner this time as the numbers were ticking down, but I foolishly tried to use an 8X scope in the small circle at the end and got disorientated. BUT I did get to number 5, and got my most kills ever. Felt awesome.

Have yet to get a grenade kill though, and that is a really good idea, those things landing anywhere near me never fails to spook me and its so hard to tell where they came from.

I recorded this game so I might do a blog post about it tomorrow and try to break down all the changes I am trying to make to my game plan and how it is going.

Thanks again everyone!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Nice write up.

I waver between really liking and really disliking this game.

Lately when I've been dying I've been a bit more aware of WHY I am getting killed - in some ways though that is more frustrating because I know that it's entirely my fault and I've made the same mistake again. I've finished 4th, but I think my best game was one where I've finished 10th with 3 kills. No chickens for me though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@kcin said:

Lastly, don't run directly to a player's loot box after killing them. Wait. Watch. Other players may be nearby, watching for you to run up and sit there, looting. I've died looting a loot box so many fuckin times. Finally, in the last 15, 10 players, don't go to loot boxes at all. You've made it this far, just play with what you have. You WILL get shot if you approach the loot box.

Great tip. Took me a while to learn this (the hard way).

nmjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: I haven't won a ton of games like this, but I've definitely gotten top 10 letting other players bring me the best stuff after I kill them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.