Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Thoughts on the new map?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Wondering how people on here are finding the new map. I've played it for a little bit now and I don't think that I like it? I've had my usual results (no chicken dinners, a few top tens, a bunch of varied results, a few kills here and there).

I've been finding that numbers dwindle down a lot more quickly early as there are fewer 'major' centres for people to be able to easily reach so there's a lot of conflict there early, then a big quiet period. It just doesn't feel as intense or fun to me as the original Erangel map, but maybe it's just because I'm bad at it!

Also, lag has been hot shit since 1.0 for me.

SuperFusion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've had alot of games where it ends up being in a mountain range which is always fun because I feel like I have cover mostly everywhere I go. I do hate it though when the final circles ends up in a city. Building to building fighting always makes me so nervous. I also find it easier spotting people on this map because it's brighter.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's great. Long range sniper battles, moving house to house in the cities and clearing them with shotguns, zipping around on motorbikes. It is clearly designed to provide many different types of conflict. Also, it looks a lot more realistic and lived in. Some clear thought has been put into the design and construction of the assets. Very much enjoying it.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#4 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I like it, but if you don't find a scope, you are basically worthless outside of close quarters encounters

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ajamafalous

I think it's a much better map

EDIT: After playing a lot more of it, I actually think it's far worse.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe I just need some more time with it. Had a few more rounds on it today, but find myself looking forward more to Erangel rounds than Miramar still.

cakedotavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I really like the new map. The improved variety in terrain gives you tons of stuff to hide behind and have interesting gunfights over, and that is a huge, huge part of this game obviously.

However I do also feel the new map exacerbates existing problems with the mid-game. There are a great deal of "clusters" of buildings and terrain cover on the map, with pretty big stretches of nothing in between. This, combined with the very slow circle timing in the mid-game (circle is still big, and doesn't contract that often) leads to everyone who's playing to win looting up and fighting early, then booking it to their chosen bit of cover near the center of the circle and not moving until a circle spawn forces you to. The circle is so slow mid-game that you spend large stretches of time not moving or fighting - just camping your cover and hoping for a good circle.

I think if they tweaked the circle behavior mid-game to close faster, or perhaps even to close more or less quickly based on the number of players remaining, the flow on the new map would be much better. Other than that, I think the new map is a big step up in basically every way.

spiderml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For perspective, I only play FPP, mostly solo and duo, and am currently in the top 2% in Duo FPP with maybe 6-8 hours played in 1.0 in that mode. I find it much much worse than the old map. Camping is much more viable because of the density of urban locations and it promotes much slower play. If you play seriously and don't hot drop you are unlikely to run into anyone until the final 20 or so. So really there's no mid game, only early if you hot drop, or late game when the circle is small. It's still fun but I find the old map is much more conducive to aggressive play and overall flows much better. I can see this map being good for TPP or Squad play but I don't really play in those modes so I wouldn't know.

cakedotavi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cakedotavi

@spiderml: I actually find the early game much more exciting on the new map, and I also play exclusively FPP with a pretty good ranking. More interesting buildings and terrain to fight over early on, more loot overall so lower chance of just straight up losing gun roulette, and I feel more viable drop spots in general. What kind of spots are you dropping into? Do you always go for a max-range jump or something?

I 100% agree about the mid-game problems, but I felt that way (to a slightly lesser extent) on the old map anyway - the mid-game has always been very boring to me if you're playing to win.

In a nutshell, for me the new map is better early and late and worse in the middle.

spiderml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cakedotavi yeah I don't often do "hot drops" unless I'm really bored, which is why the early game suffers for me personally. I think late game if the zone is over desert its ok, but if its in a city I don't prefer the density of buildings and how that plays out in late game, but that's just me.

Avatar image for eamenngelberman
    EamennGelberman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's pretty cool but its hard to getting used to it

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiderml said:

For perspective, I only play FPP, mostly solo and duo, and am currently in the top 2% in Duo FPP with maybe 6-8 hours played in 1.0 in that mode. I find it much much worse than the old map. Camping is much more viable because of the density of urban locations and it promotes much slower play. If you play seriously and don't hot drop you are unlikely to run into anyone until the final 20 or so. So really there's no mid game, only early if you hot drop, or late game when the circle is small. It's still fun but I find the old map is much more conducive to aggressive play and overall flows much better. I can see this map being good for TPP or Squad play but I don't really play in those modes so I wouldn't know.

I agree that the mid-game is dead on Miramar. I still don't really like this map. Because the number of buildings is a bit sparser, it seems like there is a huge amount of action early on, but the mid game is pretty bland. I generally land in more secluded places, and find a lot more down time than on Erangel, where, even if I land secluded to begin with, I usually find something while on the move. Maybe it's because I still don't feel comfortable with this map, but I'm much happier when Erangel comes up in the rotation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.