Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Hey! PS2 Games Are On The PSN Store!

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

I just got back from work so I don't know if this has been posted or not but PS3 owners can now buy PS2 games on the PSN. It's under the banner 'Playstation 2 Classics'. The games are being sold for $10 each (so far anyway). They can be upscaled to 720p but they aren't HD remakes (like the God of War Collection). They are no trophies either.

The games released so far are...

BloodRayne

God Hand

GRIMgRiMoiRe

Harvest Mood: Save the Homeland

Maximo: Ghosts to Glory

Odin Sphere

Raiden III

Ring of Red

I'm downloading Odin Sphere right now. One day, whenever the download is finally done, I'll come back here and talk about how the game runs and looks.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

Are you by any chance related to THE SHERLOCK HOLMES?

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Blannir

They started this last month, they'll release 5 new PS2 classics at the start of each month.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/10/03/introducing-only-on-psn-for-new-exclusive-games-throughout-october/

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JasonR86

@Blannir said:

They started this last month, they'll release 5 new PS2 classics at the start of each month.

...really?

...huh. I really thought I found something amazing here. They sure have done a shitty job advertising this. I had no idea.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DarthOrange

@JasonR86 said:

@Blannir said:

...really?

...huh. I really thought I found something amazing here. They sure have done a shitty job advertising this. I had no idea.

They never really told anyone about them, but they started coming out October 4th.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JasonR86

@DarthOrange said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Blannir said:

...really?

They never really told anyone about them, but they started coming out October 4th.

Sony really has their shit together huh?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Afroman269

All I want is Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By RoyCampbell

Oh, yeah, BloodRayne, a true classic. Yep.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
    thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By thechronodarkness

They're definately starting with the less graphically intensive games. Thats for sure. But...I guess its expected. Emulating ps1 games is fairly easy. I have been able to play 1920x1080p ps1 discs on pc emulators for about 10 or so odd years now. My current pc rig can play crysis and most modern games fairly well, and I can barely run alot of ps2 discs at 640x480.

Lord, I never thought of tony hawk 3 or 4 being all that graphically intensive, till the emulator got ahold of them at 25fps. And if the ps3 is many steps lower in power than my pc, it'll all rely on how great the emulation software sony writes is.

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By the_hiro_abides

God Hand is pretty awesome. I've been thinking of picking up Odin Sphere this way to see if it does away with the slow down during boss fights.

Valames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Valames

Looking at your avatar, I have to ask, are you as excited as me anout Chrono Cross being released on PSN?!

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DarthOrange

@JasonR86 said:

@DarthOrange said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Blannir said:

...really?

Sony really has their shit together huh?

Yea Sony did just report a 27 billion yen loss for the quarter. I recommend you read this article to get the full details of what happened.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@Valames said:

Looking at your avatar, I have to ask, are you as excited as me anout Chrono Cross being released on PSN?!

You know, I went out and re-bought the game specifically so I could replay it on my PS3 (I no longer own a PS1). It was great...kinda. The game goes off the rails at the end.

TheRookie727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By TheRookie727

Is there going to be Gran Turismo 3 by any chance?

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I sure hope Persona 4 makes it on there at some point in case I don't end up buying a Vita. Edit: There is already a thread on this by the way, don't mean to be a downer or anything... Also, there are definitely plenty of PS2 games I would buy to play again.

Hawk456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hawk456

I picked up GRIMgRiMoiRe and Odin Sphere... I never played the originals but they look good enough. It would be nice it they incorporated some acknowledgement that you played an old school game on the PS3... no need for a trophy but maybe a "library" with easy stats from your save game file. but then again, we're talking about Sony here.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JasonR86

So I just finally finished downloading Odin Sphere (it took me nearly 24 hours by the way). It looks really good. It isn't as sharp as a PS3 game or a remade PS2 game but it looked really good all the same.

Just a quick thing. For those that have calibrated their TV's to specific settings (specifically for those that have calibrated their TV's for an RGB Full setting for PS3 games) the PS2 games are set for RGB Limited color matrices. So, you should calibrate your TV's accordingly.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By superpow

I already own most of those games and can get the rest for probably cheaper for my ps2. HD remakes and rehashes are just cash grabs.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.