Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

PS2 games come to PS4 tomorrow starting with 8 titles.

• 158 results
    liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

No backwards compatibility but these games will be up-rezed with trophy support. Also supports all the PS4 features like remote-play, live broadcast, shareplay...

The 8 titles are:

• GTA3 ($15)
    • GTA: Vice City ($15)
    • GTA: SA ($15)
    • Dark Cloud ($15)
    • The Mark of Kri ($15)
    • Twisted Metal: Black ($10)
    • War of of the Monsters ($10)

and drum roll...:

• Rogue Galaxy!!!! ($15)

more titles coming 2016 including PaRappa the Rapper 2, KoF 2000

here is the link.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Considering how long the GTA games have been available on PC, the prices aren't very tempting,.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I still have Dark Cloud and it hasn't aged well. Besides, DC2 is the better game. I can't say I'm not disappointed that I can't just drop my PS2 disc into my PS4 and play, but I am also not surprised. And, yeah the prices seem a bit high. Knock five bucks off everything and I'll consider it.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love me some Dark Cloud and Rogue Galaxy, but Dark Cloud 2/Dark Chronicle was easily my favorite of those Level-5 games. Hopefully this means it'll come soon though. War of the Monsters could also be some dumb fun.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By liquiddragon

@penguindust: @barrock: I agree on the pricing but they charged $10 for barebones PS2 Classics on PS3 so I'm not surprised they are trying to charge more for these 'cause they support all the PS4 features.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Rogue Galaxy is cool, but there is no way in hell I would pay $20 CAD for a less blurry version of a game I already own, and trophy support does not make the price any better because they don't do anything for me. This whole PS2 games coming to PS4 has kind of been a bit disappointing for me at least. The real kicker here is that you don't get a discount if you owned any of those games on PS3.

I might pay that if they release Dark Cloud 2 someday simply because the prices for a physical copy are absurd.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm willing to accept that you can't pop in a disc, but man, $15 for games you can pick up for a buck is kind of steep.

I'll give them however much they ask for SSX 3.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

lol no thanks, not at those prices . My PS2 slim still works fine so if I'm really inclined I'd rather just set that up again.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do wonder how they look uprezzed, and I wonder if the framerate is altered any.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This means that I will never get the games I actually want.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Ugh really?

Man that's such a departure from how Playstation used to do stuff (cross gen/platform play), it really bums me out.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Cloud! War of the Monsters! Yes yes! I love my PS2, but I hardly go back to it, having these on the PS4 is much more convenient for me, so even though I already have Dark Cloud I'm still excited. I hope they fill the screen nicely.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rouge Galaxy is a very good JRPG, I might pick it up again.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That is waaaaaaaaaaay too much money to charge for PS2 games. That being said, I'm a plebe, have never gotten GTA to run right on PC, and REALLY want to play San Andreas again. So they'll be getting $15 from me, that's it though. Sure as hell ain't going to go paying for all my PS2 games again.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea if they dropped those each by 5 dollars it'd be more reasonable. That being said I will be buying some of these regardless because I have a problem.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

i want to play dark cloud but that's way too expensive

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember looking forward to Rogue Galaxy and then thinking that the game was traaaaaaaaaaaaaaash.

Shame that it's Dark Cloud 1 and not 2 also. The latter is a much better game and still pretty pricey, I might have picked that one up and not felt so foolish.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
    planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, not really excited to pay for old shit tbh, but give me Persona 3: FES with trophies and I'll spend the £15. And THPS3. And Guitaroo Man. That might be about it.

Oh, wait. Okami. And Timesplitters. And Killer 7.

And Rez.

Apparently there are are quite a few PS2 games I'd pay for... Huh.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Holy cow actually didn't realise it goes for that much online, I got a copy from a random gamestop for like 10 bucks a couple years ago.

This is a cool thing and all, but $15 to rebuy games again is too steep for me, and these days I have a CRT TV set up for my PS2 anyway. Cool still to see the Level 5 games at the forefront of this, I wonder if my copy of Rogue Galaxy is buried somewhere.

Definitely needs some more Dark Cloud 2 in there.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

$15 is a little steep for some of those.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Godhand and Killer7, no sale.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited for some of these titles, but not for $15.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By paulmako

Almost tempted to get GTA3 again to avoid putting in the (admittedly minimal) effort to get it running with a controller on PC.

After all the talk of open world games this year it would be pretty cool to go back to.

Edit: It blows my mind that Vice City came out in October 2002, pretty much exactly a year after GTA3. I thought there was longer between them than that.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By Yummylee

@planetfunksquad said:

Eh, not really excited to pay for old shit tbh, but give me Persona 3: FES with trophies and I'll spend the £15. And THPS3. And Guitaroo Man. That might be about it.

Oh, wait. Okami. And Timesplitters. And Killer 7.

And Rez.

Apparently there are are quite a few PS2 games I'd pay for... Huh.

I was going to mention how Okami was already properly remastered at 1080p60, but then remembered that's only on PS3... Herp. Fucking sucks how your digital library doesn't carry over. I'm willing to bet the one PS2 classic I've already bought (Maximo 2 - it was like £2 on sale) on PS3 can't be transferred, either.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

lolz at paying $15 for a ps2 game in 2015

figurehead00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played Rogue Galaxy so I might pick that up.

Now, Sony, my dude, if you're not going to remaster it, just give me Final Fantasy XII and I've got $15 with your name on it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ezekiel

This is one of the reasons I'm not buying consoles anymore. Reselling you a limited selection of old stuff instead of actually preserving (all of) it. The manufacturer has too much control.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a normal person perspective it's disappointing that ps2 classics can't transfer and kind of makes the whole kind of silly but from a PR stand point this is idiotic.

Like if someone goes up on stage during PSX and even mentions this at a decibel higher then a Vita announcement then they do understand that only garners bad press right? Like the positive reaction to that possible onstage mention will be dwarfed by everyone bringing up the "objectively" better 360 backwards compatibility. In reality it's clearly two different things, these games are supposed to be running at a higher res and framerates, but that's not going to be what people talk about.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll pay $15 in a heartbeat for an uprezed Dark Cloud 2. Dark Cloud 1 isn't nearly as good sadly.

I might give Rogue Galaxy a shot though. I always meant to.

Yea if they dropped those each by 5 dollars it'd be more reasonable. That being said I will be buying some of these regardless because I have a problem.

They're charging $10 for the PS2 classics on PS3 without any of the added goodies these games are getting (no trophies or "HD" graphics), so by comparison the price isn't so bad. It's pretty on par with what they've been charging for all those HD collections.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From a normal person perspective it's disappointing that ps2 classics can't transfer and kind of makes the whole kind of silly but from a PR stand point this is idiotic.

Like if someone goes up on stage during PSX and even mentions this at a decibel higher then a Vita announcement then they do understand that only garners bad press right? Like the positive reaction to that possible onstage mention will be dwarfed by everyone bringing up the "objectively" better 360 backwards compatibility. In reality it's clearly two different things, these games are supposed to be running at a higher res and framerates, but that's not going to be what people talk about.

360 backwards compatability really is not the same thing though. Those games are from last generation and are far easier to translate directly into this generation than PS2. Even if I was able to put my PS2 games directly into the PS4 it wouldn't give me the same benefits.

Sony has their answer to 360 backwards compatibility with their streaming service, which is far and away inferior to Microsoft's 360 backwards compatibility. But this is a different beast. Until Microsoft lets you put original Xbox games into the XB1 with 1080p upscaling and achievement support they don't have a comparible service.

TJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eck. Playstation 2 and its games are awesome but I was really hoping for Playstation 3 compatibility. I skipped that generation of consoles but am dying to play some of the games on it. MGS 4 and Nino Kuni comes to mind.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By hatking

War of the Monsters is painfully underrated. I'm genuinely surprised that's one of the early releases for a PS2 game on PS4. Must have been bundled in with the Twisted Metal Black deal, whatever goes into this stuff.

Edit: Just looked over that list again, there are some damn gems on there. That's a really impressive initial bunch of games to give this treatment. I've actually been itching to revisit Mark of Kri for years.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ericjasonwade

@zeik: 15$ for anything PS2 is a little steep. If they knocked 5 dollars off of those 15$ games than they would seem less intimidating. At this point a regular consumer goes into the psn store and sees that price, I think it will push them away. I also don't believe those extra goodies are worth 5 dollars. I don't know much about the business side of things but I don't think these had to go through an extensive re-certification process. Sony engineered a way a few years back to add trophies without altering the game which enabled them to put trophies on games that were emulated without having to re-certify. But those other additives probably did make them have to so they had to balance the cost somewhere. Either way I'll be buying.

I do want to note however, I may complain about the prices but I am so excited about all this. I've been waiting for them to add trophy support to PS2 (and hopefully some PS1) games since they started doing trophies.

Here's a link for that patent shenanigans

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the system-wide button remapping options on the PS4, I might just have to give in and buy Vice City again, at least when it goes on a good enough sale. PS2 era GTA controls are insanely dated, but if I could remap shooting to the R2 trigger...

That, and BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac:

You think these versions of the GTA games will still have the full soundtrack? I know that those licenses expire and in the GTA: San Andreas that released on mobile and XBOX 360 (which is probably the version that is releasing on PS4) had removed a dozen or so songs because of those licenses expiring. I really, really hope that is not the case for this, especially Vice City.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@ericjasonwade

If they don't--and I can sadly see that happening--then I'm sure not buying them.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zeik

@ericjasonwade: Considering most PS2 games look like garbage when displayed through modern HDTVs I think it's well worth an extra $5. I'm no graphics snob, but when a game looks worse on an HDTV than on SDTV it's a huge bummer. It's really the main reason I don't go back to my PS2 collection more often. (A few of the games I own are actually completely unplayable.)

Not to mention a lot of PS2 games are not cheap nowadays. Rogue Galaxy will cost you anywhere from $20-40 for a used copy. It's really up to the consumer to decide whether the price is worth it. For most games I'd probably wait for a sale to give them a try, but if a game ends up on there I really love, or really want to try then $15 seems pretty reasonable. I'd pay even more than to be able to play some of my most favorite PS2 games in higher res.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik:

That's true though. Trying to play those PS2 games through anything but a CRTV or a SDTV is awful. Those games look so bad on newer TV's. That and we are so used to how games look now and sometimes forget how those older games look. I'm really hoping this library gets more fleshed out and this starting lineup is especially promising.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Slag

@ericjasonwade: @spaceinsomniac:

I know San Andreas and Vice City had a dozen or so songs stripped out in the Steam version in a patch due to license expiration well after their initial Steam releases. Surprised it wasn't more honestly

I imagine it's the same issue here unless Rockstar wants to pony up the money to renew the licenses

http://steamcommunity.com/app/12120/discussions/0/613941122750874891/#c613941122804673686

EDIT: guess Vice city still has it for people who purchased the game more than 4 years ago. But San Andreas did have a bunch of tracks patched out without players consent regardless of when you purchased it https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141110/09535529096/hooray-licenses-update-strips-17-songs-steam-users-purchased-copies-grand-theft-auto-san-andreas.shtml

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lame as fuck

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Yea that's definitely and unfortunately the case here. Don't want to speak too soon but I think that's all but confirmed then. Maybe that price point is paying for those license renewals lol

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ppl shouldn't buy these games if they already own them. These are over priced and so was the PS2 classics on the PS3. I'm only excited 'cause I get to buy something I missed like Rogue Galaxy which is rather pricey now.

@zeik: @spaceinsomniac: I can tell you guys with almost 100% certainty some songs will be missing. The first song you hear won't be "Gotta Be Startin' Somethin'" when you enter that car in the alley.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a slim PS2,most of those games, and more, better ones four feet away from me. And it won't cost me $95 to hook it up.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck did they ever make a ps2 with hdmi? I would gladly buy one of those and be done with this god damned poop.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@liquiddragon said:

I can tell you guys with almost 100% certainty some songs will be missing. The first song you hear won't be "Gotta Be Startin' Somethin'" when you enter that car in the alley.

I can tell you with 1000% percent certainty that "Gotta Be Startin' Somethin'" won't be in the game at all.

Loading Video...

;)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck did they ever make a ps2 with hdmi? I would gladly buy one of those and be done with this god damned poop.

If they did I would have bought it ages ago. I've long looked for a way to upres games through a PS2, but all I've found is sketchy/expensive peripherals that likely don't work as advertised.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Can't you buy a PS2 for $50 nowadays?

This is lame. Had a faint glimmer of hope that they were going proper pop-in-the-disc emulation. Faint glimmer. But yeah, I guess buying things again are cool too.

I could fuck with a nicer looking, Trophy enabled Dark Cloud 2. But not at $15.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: imagine how dope it would be to have a ps2 the size of a disc man with hdmi. I would buy one of those even if it was 100% a bootleg black market thing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.