Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 2

Platform »

Sony's PlayStation 2 is the second home video game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment Incorporated, and to date is the best-selling home console of all time, with an install base of 150 million units since its launch.

Suggestions for a problem with my ps2.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nottle

Back in december I was playing Persona 3 for the first time, after i had put it down for a year or so. At one point i picked up my PS2 slim to plug in a controller (the memory card was covering the controller port) and since then I have had problems.  Music and audio just cut out sometimes during cutscenes and when I'm running around town.. The game would pause for 30 seconds to over a minute just to load up the next spoken line in a conversation. I'd finish a fight and have to wait long past the win animation to continue. It's frustrating and makes playing these games a real chore.

I can hear when the disc is being read and when it isn't. Things will be silent then i hear the ps2 working and then  characters start talking again.

At first I thought it was just Persona 3. But now I am playing Persona 4 for the first time and I'm about 20 hours in and I'm noticing the same problems. Any help anyone can give?

Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Tsoglani

Sounds like your PS2 is dying: my PS2 refuses to play certain discs, and does not play ANY DVDs anymore.

Not to sound like a dick, but I suggest you buy a PS3.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

Get a new ps2? I'd gather those things are dirt cheap at this point. Surprised they don't hand them out for free with McDonalds happy meals.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

My PS2 died. Took it out of the closet a month back, plugged it in, put a game in, the game didn't run at all, then the system turned off. Dead.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nottle

I have a Ps3, It's the newer kind that doesn't have backwards compatibility sadly

It's not like the Ps2 is that old. I got itt around when 2007. Does anyone think it could be the lens or something. My understanding of how a ps2 workds is very limited.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ChristianCastillo
    @Tsoglani said:
    " Sounds like your PS2 is dying: my PS2 refuses to play certain discs, and does not play ANY DVDs anymore.  Not to sound like a dick, but I suggest you buy a PS3. "
    Is he going to be able to play Persona 3/ 4 on the ps3?
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Nottle
    @ChristianCastillo: No the Ps3 otption would just be silly at this point. I own a ps3, just not the kind that can play ps2 games. It would be easiest to just either buy a new Ps2 or fix it some way with out having to pay anyone, I just don't know how to do that.
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By lego_my_eggo

It may be the lens, but if the drive stops spinning and randomly starts back up it may be a bigger problem. Google a guide on cleaning the lens and see if that helps.

Avatar image for christiancastillo
    ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Nottle: I suggest you do buy a new ps2, they are really cheap right now and come with some games.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Lunar_Aura

It sounds like your PS2's optical drive is dying. I would also suggest buying another PS2. 

You could always try turning on Diagnosis Mode and see if that helps things. Turn on the PS2 without a disc in, press Triangle, go to Console, press Triangle, and set Diagnosis to ON. This might not help things but hey it's worth trying.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nottle
    Thanks guys. I'll look around some more I didn't know about that diagnosis mode. If anyone else has suggestions I'd be glad to hear them.
    Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Nottle

Ok. I think i solved the problem. Stack shit on top of th ps2. I'm assuming the lid of the ps2 was a bit loose. It wasn't open or anything, but it was just enough to make the disc unable to read at times. It didn't become aparent until I happened to press down on the ps2 lid causing the disc to start reading when i was looking at the browser. What a janky solution...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.