Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

a stupid question about the ps3

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By lord_canti

would it be affected in anyway by magnets  the reason i ask  is because i was talking to my friend about the metalica limited edition of there album "death magnetic"  and its in the shape of a coffin and i asked him if it was also magnetic  and then said " if it was it would mess up ure tv cd player  and lets not mention ure ps3" and that peaked my curiosity would it be effected by magnets  my gess is it would wipe the hard drive or something  bad of that nature  i want to know but i wouldn't dare actually try it and was wondering if any one here has any idea? 

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By tovan

It is possible for a magnet to affect a PS3, but it depends on how close they are together. I wouldn't suggest it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704
    deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

The magnet would have to be really powerful to be able to wipe the hard drive. That's actually a pc myth. The only magnets strong enough to do that are not available to the average consumer. As for the blu-ray drive (cd player etc) in the Ps3 I'm not entirely sure. The way cd players operate they don't use magnets to transmit the data signal for the disk through the laser when the drive changes the data to 0s and 1s. They use reflection I *think*, anybody else feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

thelastguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By thelastguy

I do not think so, you would need a pretty powerful one.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Yeah it would have to be pretty powerful. But it could do various things... maybe stop spinning the disc but I doubt it.

Magnets can screw up your TV by messing up the colour (at least on CRT's... I never tried on HDTV and never will)

Buzzer_Beater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Buzzer_Beater

Wow. That is a good experiment to do for Science class. I'll keep that in mind. Keep all my crappy tv's I have lying around.

tovan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tovan

You would need a powerful magnet to wipe the hard drive, but a regular magnet could still have minor effects.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704
    deactivated-5c3b7ec0db704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CRT's are the only tvs and monitors  that can get affected by magnets because the cathode in the back that emits the phosphorus RGB colours can get the field distorted by a nearby magnet. Although flat panel tv's can still 'technically' get affected by a magnet its nowhere near the same way, and like that has already been mentioned a few times the magnet would have to be extremely powerful to change it. The liquid crystal in LCD tvs respond very readily to electro magnetic fields but that's only to turn them on/off. They don't permanently affect the image.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili

A normal magnet would affect it minimally and make it crash periodically or sometimes not read the data correctly, not sure about the drive tho.

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By hazelnutman

Maybe you could move the HDD around with the magnets?

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By grainger

magnets tend to fuck up all electronic equipment to be honest, and its not a good idea to mess about with them, ever had one near a T.V. screen and saw how it messes with the colours?

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By epic_pets

Yea it will

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By somesthetic

I made my tv stand out of magnets.

now I'm impotent.

something to think about.

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By grainger
    somesthetic said:
    "I made my tv stand out of magnets.

now I'm impotent.

something to think about.
    "
    What?!??!?!?!?!?!?! how the fuck does that even work?
    efrucht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By efrucht

when it comes to messing up your TV with magnets, just turn it off and then on. The TV should degauss and problem solved.. You know that PONG sound some tv's make when you turn them on? That's called degaussing and it removes discoloring caused by magnetic interference on the screen.
    I think..... ^_^

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By grainger
    efrucht said:
    "when it comes to messing up your TV with magnets, just turn it off and then on. The TV should degauss and problem solved.. You know that PONG sound some tv's make when you turn them on? That's called degaussing and it removes discoloring caused by magnetic interference on the screen.
    I think..... ^_^
    "
    thats pretty old style tv's for a start and it relly isn't a reccomended thing to do as it can permanently fuck with your tv's and other electronic equipment... just don't do it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.